Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance checked baggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Star Alliance checked baggage allowance

I saw NZ has some domestic fares that doesn't include checked baggage. Will I be able to check one bag as a star alliance gold member if I book one of these tickets?
Old Nov 25, 2016, 1:36 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
No, you will not be able to check a bag - it means no bag for everyone including AirNZ elites and Star Alliance golds. You need to purchase a fare with checked baggage if you wish to take a bag.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Carry on only for the seat only fares (domestic and shorthaul).

Air NZ even got star alliance to change the rules for star gold extra checked baggage benefit so as to exclude seat only fares.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:04 am
Original Poster

Lufthansa do the same, no free star alliance baggage with seat only fares. But at least they write clearly that nothing is included, which I couldn't find on NZ website. Thank you.
Looks like it's always the cheaptest to book on NZ website directly? Couldn't find any OTA with simular fares.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 2:57 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by 31570324
Lufthansa do the same, no free star alliance baggage with seat only fares. But at least they write clearly that nothing is included, which I couldn't find on NZ website. Thank you.
Looks like it's always the cheaptest to book on NZ website directly? Couldn't find any OTA with simular fares.
I think to say the NZ website doesn't make it clear fares don't include a bag is pretty unfair.

When you book there are 4 options - seat, seat+bag, Flexitime or Flexiplus. At multiple places it's also made clear that a seat only fare doesn't include a bag if the fare type as "seat only" didn't make that clear.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I think to say the NZ website doesn't make it clear fares don't include a bag is pretty unfair.
But it doesn't make it clear if star alliance members will get a bag or not if it's a seat only fare. Or at least I couldn't find where it's written.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by 31570324
But it doesn't make it clear if star alliance members will get a bag or not if it's a seat only fare. Or at least I couldn't find where it's written.
*G benefits around baggage are pretty clear (From the *A website under *G benefits). *G doesn't give you a free bag. It gives you an extra bag if your fare includes checked luggage.

Extra baggage allowance

You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.

Selecting 'Baggage' from the Air New Zealand website also clearly explains the allowance https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/checked-in-baggage
Old Nov 27, 2016, 1:44 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
I think the fact there is still doubt in this area represents the benefits are not well understood
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:34 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by dadig
I think the fact there is still doubt in this area represents the benefits are not well understood
I think both NZ and *A websites are clear. The "doubt" only arises because people remember the old *G benefit wording and assume it still applies. A quick check of either website shows the benefit no longer applies on seat only fares.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:03 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
*G benefits around baggage are pretty clear (From the *A website under *G benefits). *G doesn't give you a free bag. It gives you an extra bag if your fare includes checked luggage.
Actually I do believe NZ manipulated Star rules at the time Rob Fyfe was Star Alliance Chairman to suit themselves. It's evident that you cannot take an extra bag in NZ Business Class with *G. It's still contradictory to the rules even with your interpretation.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Actually I do believe NZ manipulated Star rules at the time Rob Fyfe was Star Alliance Chairman to suit themselves. It's evident that you cannot take an extra bag in NZ Business Class with *G. It's still contradictory to the rules even with your interpretation.
When S2S was introduced they did go against the *G rules by not allowing a free bag. Back then *G rules did say it gave you a free bag however this has not been the case for some time. *G now gives an extra bag when one is included. UA are the only carrier I'm aware of who effectively give a free bag for *G when it's not included in the ticket.

As for NZ not allowing a 4th bag when flying in BP this is because they give you 3 bags in BP and impose a limit of 3 bags per person unless luggage is unaccompanied. A quick look around a few other *A carriers shows they've only got business class limits of 2 bags so I don't really see how it being too different. LH 1st is the only exception I can see to this rule where they will give you an extra bag to make it up to 4 but their business only gets 2 bags + 1 extra got *G.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 2:23 pm

When S2S was introduced they did go against the *G rules by not allowing a free bag. Back then *G rules did say it gave you a free bag however this has not been the case for some time. *G now gives an extra bag when one is included. UA are the only carrier I'm aware of who effectively give a free bag for *G when it's not included in the ticket.
AC and A3 too.

As for NZ not allowing a 4th bag when flying in BP this is because they give you 3 bags in BP and impose a limit of 3 bags per person unless luggage is unaccompanied. A quick look around a few other *A carriers shows they've only got business class limits of 2 bags so I don't really see how it being too different. LH 1st is the only exception I can see to this rule where they will give you an extra bag to make it up to 4 but their business only gets 2 bags + 1 extra got *G.
If you think that's ok then perhaps they should change the wording to *G get 3 bags in Business, not an extra bag.

This is all beyond the point. NZ choosing to give everyone in Business 3 bags does not mean the rules should be bent. The advantage of having *G should be that you have more baggage allowance than those who don't. Many *A airlines (eg CA) now offer 2 free bags in Economy but it doesn't mean it will forfeit *G benefit. You can take your 3rd pc for free without any problem as this is what the rule says. Why should it be any different with NZ in Business?
Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The Business Class allowance is three pieces unless you have two or more Star carriers on the ticket, in which case, if you are *G then you receive an extra piece.

This assumes that Air NZ are the MSC. Their website has been updated to show this (somewhat vaguely - obviously to discourage people from utilising the allowance). I called NZ today and they confirmed it.

Under "Number of bags included in our fares":

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/checked-in-baggage
Old Nov 29, 2016, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
The Business Class allowance is three pieces unless you have two or more Star carriers on the ticket, in which case, if you are *G then you receive an extra piece.

This assumes that Air NZ are the MSC. Their website has been updated to show this (somewhat vaguely - obviously to discourage people from utilising the allowance). I called NZ today and they confirmed it.

Under "Number of bags included in our fares":

https://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/checked-in-baggage
* Airpoints™ Gold, Elite, and Star Alliance Gold members can add an extra bag for no charge to the standard allowance for their fare (not a family member’s fare), where the ticketed itinerary has two or more Star Alliance airlines, except for Seat fares
NZ website is totally wrong. You don't need a second carrier to take an extra bag when you are Airpoints Gold/Elite on NZ services. How can they put this crap on their website without checking?

I think NZ have got the whole thing all wrong (maybe intentionally). The *G benefits do apply even on a single airline ticket. It's their Seat 2 Suit fare structure that cannot be applied when a ticket involves a second carrier.

Perhaps NZ should exit *A and become a Connecting Partner because they have become more like one than a full member.

Last edited by Xiaotung; Nov 29, 2016 at 2:57 am
Old Nov 29, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
NZ website is totally wrong. You don't need a second carrier to take an extra bag when you are Airpoints Gold/Elite on NZ services. How can they put this crap on their website without checking?

I think NZ have got the whole thing all wrong (maybe intentionally). The *G benefits do apply even on a single airline ticket. It's their Seat 2 Suit fare structure that cannot be applied when a ticket involves a second carrier.

Perhaps NZ should exit *A and become a Connecting Partner because they have become more like one than a full member.
That excerpt was from a page referring specifically to connecting flights and journeys with more than one airline.

I'm reading that as the instructions for if you have an itinerary that includes 2 star alliance carriers rather than as a requirement to have 2 *A carriers. To me this page doesn't address single airline tickets so it doesn't appear to exclude the extra bag for *G benefits for single airline situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.