Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance checked baggage allowance

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
That excerpt was from a page referring specifically to connecting flights and journeys with more than one airline.

I'm reading that as the instructions for if you have an itinerary that includes 2 star alliance carriers rather than as a requirement to have 2 *A carriers. To me this page doesn't address single airline tickets so it doesn't appear to exclude the extra bag for *G benefits for single airline situation.
No, its from their check in baggage page under the "Number of bags included in our fares" heading. It says nothing about connecting flights.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 5:36 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
No, its from their check in baggage page under the "Number of bags included in our fares" heading. It says nothing about connecting flights.
Apologies I read the immediate heading under checked in baggage referring to fares, connecting flights etc and found the excerpt under number of bags.

Are you interpreting the part where it says where the ticketed itinerary has two or more Star Alliance airlines,..... as excluding single airline tickets??

Because I read "where" as being IF your ticket includes two or more carriers rather than ONLY IF you have 2 or more carriers.

There must be someone with *G (non NZ) that's flown even TT or Pacific Islands with NZ on a seat + bag or more fare and been allowed to take an extra bag. I'd think we would have had many complaints on this forum if that were the case. I mainly recall enquiries around the free bag with regards to the seat only fare.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Apologies I read the immediate heading under checked in baggage referring to fares, connecting flights etc and found the excerpt under number of bags.

Are you interpreting the part where it says where the ticketed itinerary has two or more Star Alliance airlines,..... as excluding single airline tickets??

Because I read "where" as being IF your ticket includes two or more carriers rather than ONLY IF you have 2 or more carriers.

There must be someone with *G (non NZ) that's flown even TT or Pacific Islands with NZ on a seat + bag or more fare and been allowed to take an extra bag. I'd think we would have had many complaints on this forum if that were the case. I mainly recall enquiries around the free bag with regards to the seat only fare.
* Airpoints™ Gold, Elite, and Star Alliance Gold members can add an extra bag for no charge to the standard allowance for their fare (not a family member’s fare), where the ticketed itinerary has two or more Star Alliance airlines, except for Seat fares
Thanks. I get what you mean now but the way this is worded is still problematic. Under the heading, it doesn't tell you what extra Airpoints Gold/Elite will get when travelling on NZ services but jumps to tells you what you will get when connecting to a second carrier? There is no logic.

Also when an itinerary includes a second carrier, only Works fares can be sold so why do they need to say "except for Seat fares?" Again, no logic.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 1:49 am
Original Poster

What's when I book a seat only fare and later book extra luggage at the airport. Will then another star alliance baggage be allowed or still not?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:36 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by 31570324
What's when I book a seat only fare and later book extra luggage at the airport. Will then another star alliance baggage be allowed or still not?
I don't expect this to be the case. It costs $10 to add a bag to a fare which can be done online or via the app until you check in.

If you turn up at the airport with bags and have no baggage allowance you'll pay the excess baggage fee as you have no allowance on your fare. This starts at $60 for the first bag.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I don't expect this to be the case. It costs $10 to add a bag to a fare which can be done online or via the app until you check in.

If you turn up at the airport with bags and have no baggage allowance you'll pay the excess baggage fee as you have no allowance on your fare. This starts at $60 for the first bag.
If he/she pays the extra $10 to upgrade to seat + bag fare prior to check-in then they should be entitled to the extra *G bag though?

Different from just rocking up with seat only fare checking in and then trying to check in a bag?

31570324 I have to admit I try and save $10 here and there as it adds up over a period of time but if you have 1 or 2 bags to check through it's better to pay the $10 or so to upgrade to the seat + bag fare, then you should receive an additional 2nd bag allowance if you need it for *G ie 2 bags for the cost of $10 NZD. Don't get to the airport to check in and then try and add it.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:58 pm

If he/she pays the extra $10 to upgrade to seat + bag fare prior to check-in then they should be entitled to the extra *G bag though?

Different from just rocking up with seat only fare checking in and then trying to check in a bag?

31570324 I have to admit I try and save $10 here and there as it adds up over a period of time but if you have 1 or 2 bags to check through it's better to pay the $10 or so to upgrade to the seat + bag fare, then you should receive an additional 2nd bag allowance if you need it for *G ie 2 bags for the cost of $10 NZD. Don't get to the airport to check in and then try and add it.
Yes if you change your fare type before check-in your fare type changes to seat+bag for $10 extra and you get the *G 2nd bag allowance.

If you just rock up to check-in on a seat only fare your bag will be treated as excess baggage and charges as such. You will get no *G allowance and pay excess baggage rates for all bags.

I too wonder why the OP is worried about paying $10 extra in the grand scheme of things to get 2 checked bags.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Is a fare upgrade possible? I can just say it for Lufthansa, if you book a seat only fare (light), you can't upgrade to a seat+bag (classic) fare. You can only add a bad online or at the airport, but the original fare still remains without bag. But I don't know if it will give me a second bag free if I buy a first one.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 12:00 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by 31570324
Is a fare upgrade possible? I can just say it for Lufthansa, if you book a seat only fare (light), you can't upgrade to a seat+bag (classic) fare. You can only add a bad online or at the airport, but the original fare still remains without bag. But I don't know if it will give me a second bag free if I buy a first one.
Yes the Seat Only fare is upgradeable online for only $10 if you do it before arriving at the airport.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 1:33 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
... UA are the only carrier I'm aware of who effectively give a free bag for *G when it's not included in the ticket.
SK does too.

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I think both NZ and *A websites are clear. The "doubt" only arises because people remember the old *G benefit wording and assume it still applies. A quick check of either website shows the benefit no longer applies on seat only fares.
Can you post a link to where the *A rules clearly says that? I'm sure it is there somewhere, but all I could find on staralliance.com was
You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.
Some airlines do not offer this benefit on individual flights but only on connecting Star Alliance flights. Within Europe on "Light" fares offered by Lufthansa, Austrian & SWISS and "Check&Go" fares offered by Brussels Airlines, the extra baggage allowance is not offered.
This is under "Benefits" / "Details". So no mention that seat only fares are generally excluded from the *A perk.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by intuition
SK does too.

Can you post a link to where the *A rules clearly says that? I'm sure it is there somewhere, but all I could find on staralliance.com was This is under "Benefits" / "Details". So no mention that seat only fares are generally excluded from the *A perk.
I read that and actually don't see any confusion.

It very clearly says "You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.".

In the case of an Air NZ seat only fare no weight or piece concept applies because you don't have a baggage allowance, therefore you have no ability to take an extra piece.
trooper likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: NZ*G

It very clearly says "You can take an extra 20 kg (44 pounds) where the weight concept applies or an extra piece where the piece concept applies.".

In the case of an Air NZ seat only fare no weight or piece concept applies because you don't have a baggage allowance, therefore you have no ability to take an extra piece.
I normally agree with you ..but...... at AirNZ system the piece concept as a concept absolutely applies across the range of seats. In the case of a seat only fare it's still the piece concept - and the total number of pieces is zero. I know the rule, so it doesn't confuse me, but I think to anyone used to a Star Gold benefit globally, they could easily infer they get one extra bag on top of zero, ie one. IMHO the star rules should explicitly state that when there is no baggage allowance, then no free additional bag is available.

Last edited by GeorgieNZ; Dec 12, 2016 at 5:10 pm
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black

I guess this is a text that seems clear if you know what they mean before you read the text.

The text specifically mentions two fare types and a few airlines as an exception from the basic rule that you will get extra baggage allowance due to *A status. Neither NZ nor the "seat" fare type is mentioned.

My understanding from reading this text is that, since NZ does apply the piece concept, the *A perk is +1PC.
Since Kiwi flyer said "A quick check of either website shows the benefit no longer applies on seat only fares." I was curious where it is clearly stated.

Last edited by intuition; Dec 13, 2016 at 12:43 am
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
When S2S was introduced they did go against the *G rules by not allowing a free bag. Back then *G rules did say it gave you a free bag however this has not been the case for some time. *G now gives an extra bag when one is included. UA are the only carrier I'm aware of who effectively give a free bag for *G when it's not included in the ticket.

As for NZ not allowing a 4th bag when flying in BP this is because they give you 3 bags in BP and impose a limit of 3 bags per person unless luggage is unaccompanied. A quick look around a few other *A carriers shows they've only got business class limits of 2 bags so I don't really see how it being too different. LH 1st is the only exception I can see to this rule where they will give you an extra bag to make it up to 4 but their business only gets 2 bags + 1 extra got *G.
I mean, this is a silly argument and totally wrong to claim not too different to other carriers. Other than NZ, almost every airline which uses piece concept gives 32 kg for business class passengers. NZ may allow 3 bags, but at 23 kg. Therefore, a *G flying NZ in business can take 69 kg. A normal member flying business on most other carriers can take 64 kg. And a *G member flying business on most other carriers can take 96 kg. Therefore, to claim it is not that different just is not accurate.
Old Dec 13, 2016, 12:58 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I mean, this is a silly argument and totally wrong to claim not too different to other carriers. Other than NZ, almost every airline which uses piece concept gives 32 kg for business class passengers. NZ may allow 3 bags, but at 23 kg. Therefore, a *G flying NZ in business can take 69 kg. A normal member flying business on most other carriers can take 64 kg. And a *G member flying business on most other carriers can take 96 kg. Therefore, to claim it is not that different just is not accurate.
Apart of the 3x 23kgs bags limit for J, is more related to New Zealand Health & Safety laws that require an bag over 23kg to be marked as heavy and require to people to light.

For simplicity they choose to make the 23kg limit network wide, therefore there was confusion etc, and allows them to reduce costs at smaller ports. Where often there will only be one handler and a couple of check-in staff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.