Bag drop time for international flights

Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
Bag drop time for international flights

I have checked in online for the flight, Auckland to Cairns tomorrow. We will have access to premium check in. The online check in said that we needed to arrive at the airport no later that 90 min before the flight, the Air NZ websites says that bag drop closes 60 min before the flight departs.

What sort of timing do you guys to with bag drop on flights to Australia? How tightly do they enforce the 60 min rule?
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:45 am

I have found in the past NZ to be pretty flexible with timing, re: checkin, domestically. I am not sure how this compares internationally, however.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:30 pm

Programs: *G, Freccia Alata
Question

Originally Posted by Kiwiwings
I have checked in online for the flight, Auckland to Cairns tomorrow. We will have access to premium check in. The online check in said that we needed to arrive at the airport no later that 90 min before the flight, the Air NZ websites says that bag drop closes 60 min before the flight departs.

What sort of timing do you guys to with bag drop on flights to Australia? How tightly do they enforce the 60 min rule?
I was pretty much looking for the same answer if anyone has recent experiences?

While Air NZ are pretty flexible with the bag drop or will put the bag on the next flight in the worst case, I'm going to AU Friday night returning Sunday arvo so I'd like to be safer than sorry!
Old Nov 16, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by pkshirsagar
I was pretty much looking for the same answer if anyone has recent experiences?

While Air NZ are pretty flexible with the bag drop or will put the bag on the next flight in the worst case, I'm going to AU Friday night returning Sunday arvo so I'd like to be safer than sorry!
putting bags on a later flight is risky for an airline. It is recommended that bags travel with the pax (there has been much lesson learnt after AI 182. It is a different story (which is still a problem) if it is the airline's fault for not putting the bags with the pax.
Old Nov 16, 2016, 4:55 pm

Just time it to arrive around 65 mins before departure and you should make the 60 minute cut off.

I'm not sure about Auckland but in Christchurch they accept international bags right up until 30 mins before depature or when boarding starts (which ever one comes first)
Old Nov 16, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: *G, Freccia Alata
Thanks folks, it looks like generally more than 60 mins before the flight works for Air NZ from what I've read in some of the other threads I've managed to find since asking.

PS mmonster - thanks for the history reference - I didn't know about AI182!
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:09 am

Programs: NZ *G
I had a colleague forget his passport before we travelled from Auckland to Melbourne. He was told he could check in up until 45 minutes before departure. Just as well, it took a long time for his wife to drive his passport to the airport.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I had a quick look on the NZ website but couldn't find the reference to bag drop but pretty sure it was something along the lines of 90 min for SYD LAX and LHR and the rest were 60 min. Check in is earlier.
Old Nov 17, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by pkshirsagar
Thanks folks, it looks like generally more than 60 mins before the flight works for Air NZ from what I've read in some of the other threads I've managed to find since asking.

PS mmonster - thanks for the history reference - I didn't know about AI182!
you are most welcomed and not at all. Just as I am an aviation freak, also an ACI freak.. there is a very good episode that you can find on youtube on AI 182 and much much others.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.