Gold Upgrades

Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Gold
Gold Upgrades

I have just obtained gold status. As I'm not planning on any long hall travel in the next year, I wanted to use one of my upgrades on AKL-MEL but save the other for another trip.
Can I book AKL-MEL-AKL and request an upgrade for each sector, then assuming I do not get the AKL-MEL upgrade, it gives me a chance for the MEL-AKL. BUT if I do get the AKL-MEL upgrade, can I then cancel the MEL-AKL upgrade request? The trip would be only Friday to Monday (3 nights) perhaps no time to cancel?
Also, if I booked "Seat only" Y class, do you think that would give me less of a chance of an upgrade over booking "the works"? I assume if they were considering 2 Gold status members with upgrade requests they would consider the one who paid the higher ticket? or perhaps they consider how long that member has been that status...Thanks for your advice.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I'm cheap so I would book a seat only fare then apply the RU. If it hasn't cleared then add on a bag before completing check in while at airport. You can eat in the lounge prior to flight so I don't bother with the meal fare and if you're keen on IFE just swipe your credit card on board at your seat for $10 instead of paying for the works. There are a couple of free programmes to watch even without paying.

I've never cancelled an RU request before so not sure about that but I'm sure someone else can advise but I'm sure that's doable.

I think there's a good chance your RU will clear on a Tasman route.

Remember you don't have to use it within the year, just APPLY it within 12 months to a trip so it could also be used on a trip the following 12 months given NZs booking system. (But if it doesn't go through in the 2nd 12 months you lose it, it doesn't drop back into your account).

If you think you'll hit elite then use both RUs before you hit elite as you actually LOSE them rather than just adding a short haul RU. (I think it's pretty good you get 5 long haul RUs and 1 short haul in your 1st yr to elite! But I guess that's why they have soft landings rather than a plunge to jade if you don't requalify)

Remember there are no guarantees with RUs. It's just NZs unsold seats. You're 3rd in line otherwise behind elite and elite APD upgrades and there is no way of knowing how many of those there are.

Good luck and congrats on gold!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 7:06 pm

Lodge the RU for the first flight. If it doesn't clear call Air NZ as soon as you land and ask them to recredit it and apply for the return leg.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I'm cheap so I would book a seat only fare then apply the RU. If it hasn't cleared then add on a bag before completing check in while at airport. You can eat in the lounge prior to flight so I don't bother with the meal fare and if you're keen on IFE just swipe your credit card on board at your seat for $10 instead of paying for the works. There are a couple of free programmes to watch even without paying.

I've never cancelled an RU request before so not sure about that but I'm sure someone else can advise but I'm sure that's doable.

I think there's a good chance your RU will clear on a Tasman route.

Remember you don't have to use it within the year, just APPLY it within 12 months to a trip so it could also be used on a trip the following 12 months given NZs booking system. (But if it doesn't go through in the 2nd 12 months you lose it, it doesn't drop back into your account).

If you think you'll hit elite then use both RUs before you hit elite as you actually LOSE them rather than just adding a short haul RU. (I think it's pretty good you get 5 long haul RUs and 1 short haul in your 1st yr to elite! But I guess that's why they have soft landings rather than a plunge to jade if you don't requalify)

Remember there are no guarantees with RUs. It's just NZs unsold seats. You're 3rd in line otherwise behind elite and elite APD upgrades and there is no way of knowing how many of those there are.

Good luck and congrats on gold!
Great advice, many thanks!
Old Sep 21, 2016, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJSWLG
Lodge the RU for the first flight. If it doesn't clear call Air NZ as soon as you land and ask them to recredit it and apply for the return leg.
Thanks, will do

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.