Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

New to AirNZ*G - SIN upgrade? any other benefits?

Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:22 pm
NZ2
Original Poster

Programs: NZ *G

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on flyertalk for a long time, and since I just made it to AirNZ Gold, I thought I should finally make an account!

I have a trip coming up on Air NZ from AKL-LAX-LHR outward, and I have used my two RUs for the flight there (Economy to PE).
On the way back I am flying LHR-SIN-AKL but with Singapore Airlines for half, and then Air NZ.

1) I'm using one up to bid for the Air NZ flight, but for the Singapore flight, is there anything I can do to get upgraded?

2) Also, does anyone have any other tips for making use of the benefits of *G?
I'm looking forward to the international lounges at Singapore and LAX as I haven't been in them before.

3) Finally, I have had friends who are koru club members who have been upgraded in the past to Business from Economy on check in. But I get the impression from reading the forums that these sort of upgrades don't really happen anymore, what with one up etc. Do these spontaneous upgrades happen anymore?

Thanks!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:44 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by NZ2
Hi everyone,

3) Finally, I have had friends who are koru club members who have been upgraded in the past to Business from Economy on check in. But I get the impression from reading the forums that these sort of upgrades don't really happen anymore, what with one up etc. Do these spontaneous upgrades happen anymore?
Operational upgrades on Air NZ are very rare. I've had one in all my years of international travel (ironically back in 1998). They do however happen - I had a mate upgraded at check-in to PE flying to Japan last year.

An upgrade from economy to business would certainly never happen with a 3 class cabin. You might go from Y to PE or PE to BP, but there would be no reason to ever upgrade somebody from Y to BP.

Singapore airlines launched Plusgrade a few months ago (the same backend used for OneUp), I have no idea if this can be used if you're ticketed on NZ (if you are).

Last edited by sbiddle; Aug 27, 2016 at 8:57 pm
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Whatever upgrade stories you've heard perhaps may be pre Luxton's days. As Elite even the benefits, surprises and delights are rare. And I'm talking about not scraping Elite
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:39 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite (*A G), Qantas Silver, Alitalia Freccia Alata
The LAX lounge is excellent but don't get your hopes up for SQ lounge - mediocre at best it doesn't offer showers at all and to go to the toilet you have to leave the lounge. As elite you can access the SQ Business lounge which is better but as gold you are stuck in this crappy lounge.

To be honest I have been avoiding SIN on my 2-3 trips to EU per year for that reason.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:48 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
SilverKris is acceptable. Can't imagine what it would be like in the regular lounge
Old Aug 28, 2016, 2:08 am

Travel to T1 and visit the Thai Business class lounge if it's open.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Operational upgrades on Air NZ are very rare. I've had one in all my years of international travel (ironically back in 1998). They do however happen - I had a mate upgraded at check-in to PE flying to Japan last year.

An upgrade from economy to business would certainly never happen with a 3 class cabin. You might go from Y to PE or PE to BP, but there would be no reason to ever upgrade somebody from Y to BP.

Singapore airlines launched Plusgrade a few months ago (the same backend used for OneUp), I have no idea if this can be used if you're ticketed on NZ (if you are).
I had an upgrade from economy to PE too many years ago from LA to London. Think its because I was on a full fare economy ticket and I am star gold with Singapore Airlines.

The times I have flown with ANZ back then, they actually tried to do something nice for star golds even for elites on other airline programs. I remember getting chocolate, noise cancelling headphones and even a glass of bubbly sometimes. Does this still happen?

Last edited by Lonsinla; Sep 11, 2016 at 8:54 am
Old Sep 11, 2016, 5:51 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle

I've probably had ~5 or more since being elite or within 1 yr but these were TT which is a busy route during peak season. A couple of them were Y to BP. I don't really fly them too often on other routes so that's probably got something to do with it.

Unfortunately I'm trying to avoid NZ until Feb anniversary year so unless necessary from a scheduling point of view I won't know how this peak season will go.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.