Community
Wiki Posts
Search

business class out of AKL to MEL/ADL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

business class out of AKL to MEL/ADL

Flying Business from LAX to ADL and return. However, from AUK to ADL the plane is only configured for economy. I really don't like this flight and would rather fly out of AUK the next day on the late afternoon flight which does have B class. I cannot get that flight to come up on my booking screen. What do I have to do? Even when I do two round trips: lax-auk-lax backed with auk-adl-auk I still cannot see the later afternoon flight with the business class section. Please advise how do I get on that airplane? IMHO NZ should realize that some of us really do want the extra leg room after a 15 hour flight and continuing on for another 3.5 hours. Sheesh!
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:03 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Try a multi-storey booking? Careful with the abbreviations, I sense someone is about to correct you
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
First off its AKL.. secondly all flights to ADL are on an A320 that only features economy.

Most flights to MEL are also an A320 but there will be some flights during the day that are a 777/763. These feature business class.

The NZ booking engine is designed to give the most convenient connections and will not list all options. You may need to use the multi stop tool or book via the call centre if you wish to change this.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:12 pm

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
Hopefully the A321'same will help to solve this problem, as there has been some talk of them having business. Although unless they market it as premium economy then they will not have a consistent business class product across the whole fleet.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
If you want business the whole way I'd fly AKL-MEL on a widebody then VA back to ADL. I'd think you'd be able to get that all on one ticket from LAX. I've flown AKL-MEL-ADL to avoid the A320 previously.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

It is my understanding that all flights out of either LAX or SFO stop first in AKL is that correct?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:33 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by alpenrose
It is my understanding that all flights out of either LAX or SFO stop first in AKL is that correct?
Yes, the flights will end in AKL. You will then transfer to another flight for the Trans Tasman sector.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:33 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Yes.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dadig
Careful with the abbreviations, I sense someone is about to correct you
Now who would do that?

You are going to fly LAX-AKL and then on a seperate flight AKL-MEL or ADL. You can buy an exit row seat for AKL-MEL/ADL
Old Aug 27, 2016, 8:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
IMHO NZ should realize that some of us really do want the extra leg room after a 15 hour flight and continuing on for another 3.5 hours. Sheesh!
The market between New Zealand and Australia is predominantly people from both nations and is incredibly price competitive. The market for business as a product is small overall. Most people now fly on seat or seat+bag fares (which don't include a meal - you can pay extra if you want) and taxes often make up more than 50% of the price of an airfare.

MEL and BNE (and to a much lesser extent Sydney due to the intense competition on direct flights from SYD to LAX) are target markets for onward travel to or from the US, and all have 777 or 789 connections times to meet the incoming or outgoing US flights so you can connect from LAX to BNE or MEL with only a couple of hours stopover in Auckland. As the vast majority of Air NZ's 777 and 789 longhaul flights leave NZ in the evening and arrive back early morning these aircraft are utilised for return Trans Tasman services during the day rather than just being parked up at AKL.

ADL is simply a leisure market that doesn't even have daily services so there would be no justification for upsizing from an A320.
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Ok--this is wonderful ! I get the message ! Forty years ago I worked in the airline industry. Times have changed and so have some codes and I am afraid that some codes are imbedded forever in my mind, but your visuals help me to learn anew! Thank you!! While you are at it--would you please tell me what an RU is, and how does "J" class transfer to seating/ticketing on NZ? Thank you again--really!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Now who would do that?

You are going to fly LAX-AKL and then on a seperate flight AKL-MEL or ADL. You can buy an exit row seat for AKL-MEL/ADL
Please read my response below!
Old Aug 28, 2016, 12:50 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Ok--this is wonderful ! I get the message ! Forty years ago I worked in the airline industry. Times have changed and so have some codes and I am afraid that some codes are imbedded forever in my mind, but your visuals help me to learn anew! Thank you!! While you are at it--would you please tell me what an RU is, and how does "J" class transfer to seating/ticketing on NZ? Thank you again--really!
An RU is an complementary upgrade for NZ own status members, depending on your level you'll get an different amount for each year. These allow you to submit an stand-by upgrade for an single sector of your journey, and may clear the week out, uptill your at the gate.

J is just an Business Class ticketing letter, which entitles you an seat in Business Class provided that sector has Business Class.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 5:44 am
AZM

Programs: TK, NZ, QF
Originally Posted by sbiddle

ADL is simply a leisure market that doesn't even have daily services so there would be no justification for upsizing from an A320.
Not entirely true. AKL-ADL is daily over the summer, and sees a reasonable level of business traffic in addition to the leisure traffic.
The route has also seen seasonal upgauges to 767 on selected flights over the years.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by AZM
Not entirely true. AKL-ADL is daily over the summer, and sees a reasonable level of business traffic in addition to the leisure traffic.
The route has also seen seasonal upgauges to 767 on selected flights over the years.
With the 763 gone by March, and only 3 left in the fleet don't see that happing again. Surely the 789 would be too big for this route?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.