New NZ Lounge in PER?

Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
New NZ Lounge in PER?

Noticed hidden deep into the Shareholder Review - release today the following:

Looking ahead to 2017, customers
can expect to enjoy new lounges in Queenstown, Wellington Regional,
Melbourne, Perth and Palmerston North, among other locations.
source

Anyone know anymore? seems an pretty big investment for PER, maybe they are planning services beyond PER?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The kiwi fly in/fly out bogans need a better place to drink.
So a new bigger lounge for Air NZ ^.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Meat Pies and Beers? sounds like they have the catering sorted
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:47 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
So a new bigger lounge for Air NZ ^.
You mean a new lounge, period...

Ironic as it is, NZ sends all their HVCs/Koru to the Qantas Club at PER... unless somehow NZ convinced QF to build a new lounge there (which they are doing anyways I think)
Old Aug 26, 2016, 4:23 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Well about freaking time!! They're sending 3 planes there over summer and EY could use it too. I think I read they also contract to QF. I get left out in the cold when flying NZ on VA FF# but I'll admit there's some nice food at Perth airport. I like what they're doing to the place. Can't wait!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:18 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
I get left out in the cold when flying NZ on VA FF#
Really? As a lounge-eligible passenger shouldn't you get access to NZ's nominated contract lounge, even though in this case it's a Qantas lounge? I would certainly expect that whether I was using my (non-NZ) *G status or my VA Gold that I'd be able to get lounge access if flying NZ in a port where they have a lounge arrangement in place.

It's certainly what most other airlines do in that situation - e.g. Asiana out of SYD codeshares with Qantas so the flights typically leave from the QF side and the official lounge is the QF lounge, which Asiana will give you a pass for if you have *G status. (Of course in that instance you could trek over to the *A lounges as well if you wanted.)
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:09 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Really? As a lounge-eligible passenger shouldn't you get access to NZ's nominated contract lounge, even though in this case it's a Qantas lounge? I would certainly expect that whether I was using my (non-NZ) *G status or my VA Gold that I'd be able to get lounge access if flying NZ in a port where they have a lounge arrangement in place.

It's certainly what most other airlines do in that situation - e.g. Asiana out of SYD codeshares with Qantas so the flights typically leave from the QF side and the official lounge is the QF lounge, which Asiana will give you a pass for if you have *G status. (Of course in that instance you could trek over to the *A lounges as well if you wanted.)
Not when I've asked so far. Was told could use the VA lounge through domestic (rightly or wrongly I don't know and was gold at that time, the other was silver with J ticket which was ok but wasn't allowed my guest without my NZ # in booking so I didn't use the lounge which is different from when I've used an actual NZ lounge), so I figured because it was a contract lounge it was only NZ pax. I read on ausbt that if VA travelling with EY out of Perth you can access the QF lounge.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Aug 26, 2016 at 9:47 pm
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:00 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by mad_atta

Yes, the NZ/VA alliance only allows each others eligible members to use NZ/VA owned lounges. You will need Star Gold to access the contracted QF lounge at PER.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 5:01 pm

About time... The QF lounge is a joke - toasted sandwiches and crackers! On par with a Diners type lounge
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JJSWLG
About time... The QF lounge is a joke - toasted sandwiches and crackers! On par with a Diners type lounge
When they only have an seasonal twice weekly service to AKL, and I think they do SIN-PER again maybe its seasonal too? There probably isn't much need for Qantas to invest into this Lounge.

Makes me wonder if NZ would take over the Lounge space currently used by Qantas?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I'm sure QF will upgrade their lounge if they launch PER to LHR with the 789.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'm sure QF will upgrade their lounge if they launch PER to LHR with the 789.
Maybe NZ will beat them to it. There were reports that CX alliance could be in jeopardy due to Hong Kong Airlines entering the market and NZ could take their LHR slots back.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Maybe NZ will beat them to it. There were reports that CX alliance could be in jeopardy due to Hong Kong Airlines entering the market and NZ could take their LHR slots back.
This would have to be one of the craziest things I've read this week.. But it could make a lot of sense.

Could NZ actually operate such a service under their AU/NZ open skies agreement without any regulatory issues? Did NZ give their extra LHR slots to CX when they stopped HKG-LAX?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:04 pm

This would have to be one of the craziest things I've read this week.. But it could make a lot of sense.

Could NZ actually operate such a service under their AU/NZ open skies agreement without any regulatory issues? Did NZ give their extra LHR slots to CX when they stopped HKG-LAX?
Yes, their other pair of LHR slots were loaned to CX when they started their alliance but from what I have read the alliance will have very little chance of being re-authorised in a couple of years.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

NZ currently lease its excess LHR slot to CX, surely like any lease they would of be been for an set period and have an end date?

AKL-PER-LHR would be some sense, an could explain the investment in an PER Lounge. Since the 3x 789 with the new config arrive next year, that could make some sense. Qantas is meant to be getting there first 789 in November 2017, so with the timing of the NZ 789 they could probably beat them. With VS previously showing intrested in LHR-PER maybe they could joint venture.

Wonder how PER would work for domestic feed? e.g. would they be enough would NZ use VA or even maybe run some AKL-SYD-PER and AKL-MEL-PER A321 services. Also if CHC-PER was timed well it could also funnel people onto PER-LHR.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.