Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New NZ Lounge in PER?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:10 pm

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
Air New zealand cannot sell domestic flights in Australia on their own, but can they sell them as part of a international itinary? I know Qantas do this with their LAX New York flight.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:16 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Kiwiwings
Air New zealand cannot sell domestic flights in Australia on their own, but can they sell them as part of a international itinary? I know Qantas do this with their LAX New York flight.
Australia and NZ operate under a single market. Airlines registered in either country can operate services in the other. A quick search after I replied earlier shows they can also operate services to 3rd party countries without restriction so there would be no reason why Air NZ couldn't operate PER to LHR should they so want to.

In the US there are plenty of restrictions on non US airlines operating domestic services. Air NZ couldn't historically sell LAX to HNL when they flew it unless it was part of a connecting flight to or from NZ or LHR, and the restriction on QF will be the same.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 11:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Koru
As mention by sbiddle New Zealand and Australia operate in an single shared market.

Best current example would be Jetstar who currently operate domestic flights within New Zealand. These flights are operated / sold by Jetstar Australia and use VH registered Aircraft. In the past Pacific Blue (Now VA) operated New Zealand Domestic services aswell.

Air New Zealand currently operate two Australian domestic routes, they are SYD-NLK and BNE-NLK both of these services even receive funding from the Aussie Govt. NZ also operates SYD-RAR technically the route is AKL-RAR-SYD and SYD-RAR-AKL.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:42 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
PER-LHR on a Dreamliner would be a fantastic result, and an up-yours to QF. However, it does feel like a bit of a pipe dream: first, because NZ shies away from the very tricky economics of ultra-long haul flights; second because they shun routes with real competitors - and surely QF wouldn't sit back and let NZ grab the first nonstop Australia to UK route; and third because QF's stronger brand and customer base in the Australian market would surely give it an advantage. Also, with the 763s exiting the fleet, surely NZ won't have the aircraft capacity to operate that additional route?

On the other hand, NZ has a reasonable operation and strong brand recognition in Perth, could benefit from extensive domestic feed from VA (who presumably would codeshare), and PER would be an ultra-easy transfer option for passengers coming from NZ.

This would be a *very* interesting scenario, though - and fun to contemplate.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
When they only have an seasonal twice weekly service to AKL, and I think they do SIN-PER again maybe its seasonal too? There probably isn't much need for Qantas to invest into this Lounge.

Makes me wonder if NZ would take over the Lounge space currently used by Qantas?
You are right, most QF flights to Europe or the US will be via SYD or MEL
Old Aug 27, 2016, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by JJSWLG
You are right, most QF flights to Europe or the US will be via SYD or MEL
Qantas are looking at PER to LHR though. That would be a huge win for Perth as a destination if it did happen, and I think it's probably going to be reality based on the fact QF won't discount it.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Australia and NZ operate under a single market. Airlines registered in either country can operate services in the other. A quick search after I replied earlier shows they can also operate services to 3rd party countries without restriction so there would be no reason why Air NZ couldn't operate PER to LHR should they so want to.

In the US there are plenty of restrictions on non US airlines operating domestic services. Air NZ couldn't historically sell LAX to HNL when they flew it unless it was part of a connecting flight to or from NZ or LHR, and the restriction on QF will be the same.
QF on the JFK flight can't sell domestic tickets but from what I understand they can fill up on domestic cargo.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:03 am

Programs: NZ Gold (*G)
Originally Posted by nzkarit
QF on the JFK flight can't sell domestic tickets but from what I understand they can fill up on domestic cargo.
Is that why QF11 changes from a A380 to a 747 for the LAX-JFK leg, More cargo less pax?
Old Aug 27, 2016, 3:48 am

Is that why QF11 changes from a A380 to a 747 for the LAX-JFK leg, More cargo less pax?
The flight number is JFK->LAX->SYD while the plane is JFK->LAX->BNE or something like that. The three flights from LAX to BNE, SYD, MEL all leave about the same time so people on the JFK->LAX flight can transfer to any of the three flights.

QF is an interesting situation as the three planes arrive and one goes on to JFK. The other two planes sit at LAX for the day, to the point that QF has a maintenance hanger in LAX to do maintenance while the planes sit there for the day.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:08 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by mad_atta
PER-LHR on a Dreamliner would be a fantastic result, and an up-yours to QF. However, it does feel like a bit of a pipe dream: first, because NZ shies away from the very tricky economics of ultra-long haul flights; second because they shun routes with real competitors - and surely QF wouldn't sit back and let NZ grab the first nonstop Australia to UK route; and third because QF's stronger brand and customer base in the Australian market would surely give it an advantage.
That competition being in the form of EKs A380, EYs Dreamliner and QRs awaited A350 on the route. The only advantage I see is that NZ has PE...for now. And the ME3 are priced incredibly well if you're flying west. I've been looking at pricing and I wouldn't even give SQ a look and they have great brand recognition! I can't see NZ flying anywhere but Per-AKL out of PER. They should go for a really good tie up with EY to LHR! They could call themselves the "dream team" for the route Well maybe just to AUH..

For now I'll be happy with just getting a PER lounge.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:25 pm

Maybe that'll happen when Etihad buy a stake in Air NZ in a few years.. If I was a betting man I'd put $1 on it.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Maybe that'll happen when Etihad buy a stake in Air NZ in a few years.. If I was a betting man I'd put $1 on it.
Well you're no fun!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.