Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International flight advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

International flight advice

Hi all, looking to answer a few queries and get a few tips. My family (Wife,2.5 yo and 5 month old) are relocating from Wellington to Calgary in the coming weeks. I can't imagine flying with anyone other than AirNZ via Vancouver.

When I am booking my flight there is no option to add bags. How do I do this? Can I do it afterwards?

Also, my parents are pretty keen to see us off at AKL, but the transfer times are pretty short when booking online, certainly not long enough for a proper catch up. What's the easiest way to change this? Can I do it afterwards as well?

Lastly, any tips on best seating options for the family. My wife is keen on the sky couch, but I am leaning towards the bulkhead and get the bassinet. I would love to say we can do PE or BP, but unfortunately the powers that be won't cover it!
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Peterbm
Hi all, looking to answer a few queries and get a few tips. My family (Wife,2.5 yo and 5 month old) are relocating from Wellington to Calgary in the coming weeks. I can't imagine flying with anyone other than AirNZ via Vancouver.

When I am booking my flight there is no option to add bags. How do I do this? Can I do it afterwards?

Also, my parents are pretty keen to see us off at AKL, but the transfer times are pretty short when booking online, certainly not long enough for a proper catch up. What's the easiest way to change this? Can I do it afterwards as well?

Lastly, any tips on best seating options for the family. My wife is keen on the sky couch, but I am leaning towards the bulkhead and get the bassinet. I would love to say we can do PE or BP, but unfortunately the powers that be won't cover it!

Because you will be flying with a partner airline (assuming Air Canada on YVR-YYC leg), you won't be able to add pre-paid bags with Air NZ, that means either at booking time or afterwards on-line.

Pre-paid extra bags is only available/valid if your travel is wholly on Air NZ ticket, on Air NZ metal.

Which means you will only be able to do it at check-in time on the day of travel, which also means it'll cost a whole lot more.

One way would be to break up your ticket so, Wellingto-Auckland-Vancouver with Air NZ, and then get a separate ticket between Vancouver and Calgary. This way you can take advantage of the cheaper pre-paid extra bags upon booking/online.

The BIG downside to this would be IF your flight into Vancouver is delayed, you won't be covered for any rebooking/reimbursements for the subsequent flight to Calgary (as it's a split ticket/PNR).

Not sure of any other way to bypass that unfortunately... somebody can correct me if I am wrong.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kamadan
Pre-paid extra bags is only available/valid if your travel is wholly on Air NZ ticket, on Air NZ metal.
You can also do it if you have at least 24 hours between NZ and an OAL.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: NZ*G
Originally Posted by Peterbm

I've relocated with family (in economy) before so I can give some limited advice
1. Try and travel with minimal bags (ie don't pay excess baggage). Very quickly the cost of excess baggage that travels with you gets up to the cost of paying for relocation of your stuff with a transportation company. In addition, travelling with kids is stressful enough without needing to manage a heap of bags at the airports (though this is a one time hit). This may be bad advice if you have no option but to fly all your belongings
2. I would strongly recommend using a bassinet - it's heaven for your child to be asleep when you sit back and relax. Skycouch might be quite disconcerting being squeezed so tightly with such a small baby.
3. AirNZ via Vancouver is as good a long haul flight with kids as you can get. They tend to sleep most of the way
4. Auckland layover. I'd ring NZ and ask them. They may allow you to go on an earlier flight, not sure - but these are cases where they are flexible. I do agree with the advice above though - don't split the tickets apart. Problems can happen, and they always seem to happen when there are separate tickets....there is no come back and you will be stuck.
Good luck, Calgary is beautiful
Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
An international ticket with domestic connection on the same PNR becomes flexi on the day of the domestic flight. This means you can change the domestic connection to any other flight on the day at the airport.

It's something I do quite frequently when flying out of Auckland from Wellington.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by sbiddle
An international ticket with domestic connection on the same PNR becomes flexi on the day of the domestic flight. This means you can change the domestic connection to any other flight on the day at the airport.

It's something I do quite frequently when flying out of Auckland from Wellington.
Wow. TIL. That's a very cool benefit. Is it published anywhere?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 2:10 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I don't know if it needs to be published anywhere. There are lots of things that aren't, simply because they would confuse passengers. Anybody who understands the fare basis of what they're booking and the fare basis rules would know.

Domestic add-ons are their own fare basis and can only be booked in conjunction with international travel. They are not a regular domestic fare and have always been flexi to allow for easy changes should an international flight arrive late for example. A lot less work is required to change a pax if the fare basis allows change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.