Changi Transit and details

Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Changi Transit and details

Hi,

First off, apologies if this has already been posted. I had a hunt and couldn't find anything that seemed to fit. I figured here was the best place, as I've booked through them and they're operating the bit I have a question about.

I'm planning on flying LHR-SIN, SIN-AKL in a few months. Both flights are codeshared between NZ and SQ. It's NZ3317/SQ317 to Singapore, and NZ281/SQ4281 to Auckland.

From what I've read already, 60 minutes is fine to transit between SQ and NZ. Both are Terminal 3 at Changi? I've got a 70 minute transit time, weather permitting.

The question is, as SIN-AKL is codeshared with SQ, is it a case of going to the NZ transfer desk directly at Changi, or as it's codeshared with SQ, will SQ at Heathrow generate boarding passes for both flights?

And also, has anyone done the same recently and what was your experience of it?

Thanks for your help.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I haven't flown this but I'd be very surprised if you didn't get boarding passes for both flights at LHR. Getting both boarding passes at initial check-in and bags tagged through to the destination for a codeshare/interline agreement like this is the way things have worked for probably the last 15 years or so in the airline world when you're traveling on a single ticket/PNR.

The only issue that arises from time to time (but won't occur for you) is the barcodes used on some foreign airlines not being valid for NZ domestic readers - I got my PEK-HKG, HKG-AKL and AKL-WLG boarding passes all printed in PEK last month but had to get a new printout of my AKL-WLG at Koru in AKL as the barcode can't be read. I've had this happen once before as well but can't remember who it was with.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:01 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I haven't flown this but I'd be very surprised if you didn't get boarding passes for both flights at LHR. Getting both boarding passes at initial check-in and bags tagged through to the destination for a codeshare/interline agreement like this is the way things have worked for probably the last 15 years or so in the airline world when you're traveling on a single ticket/PNR.
I know ex-PVG NZ makes you get your boarding passes re-printed onto NZ Stock.

Which recently happened to me on FCO-ZRH-PVG-AKL, all on an single LX issues ticket FCO gave me all the boarding passes. But NZ at PVG still wanted to re-issue and check passport.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
I know ex-PVG NZ makes you get your boarding passes re-printed onto NZ Stock.

Which recently happened to me on FCO-ZRH-PVG-AKL, all on an single LX issues ticket FCO gave me all the boarding passes. But NZ at PVG still wanted to re-issue and check passport.
I'd better remember to print the terminal map before I go, gotcha.

Out of interest, was that at the boarding gate or at the transfer desk at PVG?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Crystal Tokyo
I'd better remember to print the terminal map before I go, gotcha.

Out of interest, was that at the boarding gate or at the transfer desk at PVG?
At PVG there is an transfer desk with an NZ Counter, you have goto it before you allowed to head back to the gate area.

But that's more because China restricts the transit process, and only certain connections can be made without clearing customs.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:16 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Crystal Tokyo
I'd better remember to print the terminal map before I go, gotcha...
Another thing to remember is the Changi Transit Programme - Receive SGD40 Changi Transit Voucher
Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:48 pm

Programs: NZ*G
I did a similar flight last week, but leaving LHR on Lufthansa, transiting FRA and SIN

1. I could not get a boarding pass for the SIN-AKL leg issued at LHR. This might be because I had a bad check in agent (even though i was *G), but I was told to get a new boarding pass at SIN
2. There was a delay (20+ mins) issuing a new boarding passes at Changi, with confusion over ticket numbers, and they showed no obvious rush to resolve.
3. On the flights I was using, the 40SGD transit programme did not apply, and only appear to apply with a singapore airlines ticket number (not just flight number) - your code share ticket may not have this (look at t&c to be sure)
4.In general Changi is very easy to transit, but the distances between gates can be long, and remember there is frequently secondary screening at the gate (know this for your timings)
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:18 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GeorgieNZ
3. On the flights I was using, the 40SGD transit programme did not apply, and only appear to apply with a singapore airlines ticket number (not just flight number) - your code share ticket may not have this (look at t&c to be sure)...
Passengers’ e-ticket numbers must begin with 618 or 629 or 086, and must be travelling on flights operated by Singapore Airlines or SilkAir for both into and out of Changi Airport. Any connecting flight into or out of Changi Airport that is not operated by Singapore Airlines or SilkAir must be operated by Air New Zealand (specifically flight numbers SQ4281, SQ4282, NZ281 or NZ282) or Scoot (specifically flight numbers TZ591 or TZ592).
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:11 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
NZ is rather obsessed about their boarding pass stock. So many times I've been paged in the (old) T3 to swap an AC or UA issues BP for a NZ issued one. It's loony.

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
At PVG there is an transfer desk with an NZ Counter, you have goto it before you allowed to head back to the gate area.

But that's more because China restricts the transit process, and only certain connections can be made without clearing customs.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by jawnbc
NZ is rather obsessed about their boarding pass stock. So many times I've been paged in the (old) T3 to swap an AC or UA issues BP for a NZ issued one. It's loony.
I wonder if its something to do with the bar-codes, and there rather dinosaur reservation system vs the more general systems on the market.

Or they are just OCD when it comes to checking passports/visas for entry into New Zealand , although you would think if they could see an New Zealand passport on the system they wouldn't need to re-check it.

It amused me how you can travel around the US/Europe on other airlines issues boarding passes, then you get to NZ and its no go.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 7:36 am

I've done AMS-SIN-AKL and MUC-SIN-AKL with NZ281 a few times and every time I have received both boarding passes at my origin airport without the need to have them reprinted in SIN.

I can confirm having the boarding passes swapped at PVG (arriving from FRA), but you can't miss it because the transfer process makes you go obligatorily through the transfer desk.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by jawnbc
An agent once explained to me that reissuing the BP onto NZ stock is the process point where they get the permission to board from the New Zealand government authorities for connecting passengers who were checked in by other airlines. Other airlines handle it at initial check-in, or not at all: see Jetstar's ongoing fines and legal problems.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.