Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Check-In Time - Domestic connecting International

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium

Hey NZ FTers,

Did some searches but haven't found the answer, apologies if this has already been covered.

After a very nice week on the South Island, I'm flying ZQN-AKL-HKG in a few days. ZQN-AKL with NZ, then AKL-HKG with CX. It's all on one PNR and NZ's app (and website) says the check-in deadline at ZQN is 60 min(!) because there is an international connection. I was even able to get my CX boarding pass, but NZ won't allow online check-in.

Can any of you confirm from experience that they really expect to change the check-in deadline of a domestic ZQN-AKL flight just because I have an onward connection? I am more than happy to walk my bag from the domestic to international terminal at AKL (I will have more than enough time) - can I convince NZ to treat me like any other domestic flyer from ZQN with a normal check-in cut-off? I really don't know what I'll do at ZQN for over an hour.

Thanks all,
bawm
Old Jul 23, 2016, 3:35 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Not sure if possible, 60 minutes isn't that bad in comparison. I was on VA with a 2 hour check in requirement without any ability to check in online (NZ ticketed)
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Domestic is usually 30 min, I can't see them denying you boarding if you showed up 40 min prior and if on the one PNR I'd still ask them if they'll check bags the whole way through but no personal experience with NZ to CX. I know in Oz if I fly QF then EK they recommend an hr but if I've showed up 40 min prior they still check me through.

I view it like NZs recommendations to check in 90 min prior international but you can actually bag drop up to 60 min prior most places.

ZQN can be busy eg bag drop if not using desk check in so I think I'd go for being at check in 45 min prior at latest. Use kiosk check in if possible as it's faster and easy (QF don't allow kiosk for use for international connections so not sure about NZ connecting as I've never had a kiosk for my regional departures).

Like most airport lines it depends on how many other flights are going out around your time and how loaded your own flight is.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SM, M&M SEN, BA Gold, DL Gold; Marriott Titanium
Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll report back in a couple of days with my experience.

bawm
Old Jul 23, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
60 mins is a standard time if you have an international connection. You have to be there 30 mins before if you have bags anyway on a domestic flight.

Yes it's unlikely anything will go wrong if you day turned up 45 mins before, but rules are there for a reason.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.