Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

When do status points credit in a multi-segment flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*S

In a multi-segment itinerary, do SPs and APDs credit after each segment, or on completion of the final segment? And does it matter if segments are on partner/codeshare flights? I can't recall as I haven't had a multisegment itin in over a year.

Not actually looking to game the system, just curious as I got a couple of low fare alerts AKL-SIN @$509 and AKL-SIN-BKK. @ $441.

(yes, i realise these aren't particularly good value for Status runs, it just piqued my curiosity)
Old Jul 17, 2016, 6:33 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Partner flights are always credited after each sector. When they credit will depend on the partner airlines and has nothing to do with your itinerary. Within Star Alliance, you need to be careful as accrual classes are determined by the operating carriers and many SQ's lowest classes do not qualify for Airpoints accrual even with an NZ flight number.

Of course UA's new SFO-AKL and vice versa will now credit at NZ rates if booked with an NZ code but that's the only exception so far.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:54 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Air NZ flights every sector. Partner will depend. Usually 48 hours after the travel is completed.

Watch out for Air NZ partner flights - for example SIN SP earn rate is atrocious (although the service makes it up) whereas other partners is the opposite. Check the booking class (or rather the fare basis code)

Last edited by dadig; Jul 18, 2016 at 2:04 am
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:58 am

Originally Posted by dadig
Air NZ flights every sector. Partner will depend. Usually 48 hours after the travel is completed
NZ flights will post at the end the journey, not every sector. I assume a journey is defined as transit less than 24 hours?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:06 am

Programs: NZ *E
Watch out for Air NZ partner flights - for example SIN SP earn rate is atrocious (although the service makes it up) whereas other partners is the opposite. Check the booking class (or rather the fare basis code)
That's not good news. I was looking at going to India via Singapore and hoping it might get me up to *E. Is there a better route than via Singapore for collecting SP? I need about 200.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:16 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
NZ flights will post at the end the journey, not every sector. I assume a journey is defined as transit less than 24 hours?
No... I flew CHC-WLG-CHC in the past month or so and got the APD credited after almost immediately after each segment.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:52 am

With the app it looks like it happens sometime while the plane is in the air. At some stage need to leave a tablet on the ground with the app fired up getting the alerts, so can get the exact time the alert saying points credited happens.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*S
Partner flights are always credited after each sector. When they credit will depend on the partner airlines and has nothing to do with your itinerary. Within Star Alliance, you need to be careful as accrual classes are determined by the operating carriers and many SQ's lowest classes do not qualify for Airpoints accrual even with an NZ flight number.
Yep, the flights above earn the same SP, so obviously 0 SP for the codeshare leg to BKK.

Air NZ flights every sector. Partner will depend. Usually 48 hours after the travel is completed.
Okay, no agreeement on this. Also, if one was to abscond from the AKL-SIN-BKK route at SIN (Hidden city) would Airnz credit the points for the AKL-SIN leg, or would they reverse/not credit them due to an incomplete journey?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:53 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I flew AKL-WLG last week and the points credited for that sector whilst I was still taxiing to the runway in AKL!^
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by SpannerSpinner
Yep, the flights above earn the same SP, so obviously 0 SP for the codeshare leg to BKK.

Okay, no agreeement on this. Also, if one was to abscond from the AKL-SIN-BKK route at SIN (Hidden city) would Airnz credit the points for the AKL-SIN leg, or would they reverse/not credit them due to an incomplete journey?
No, NZ will still credit AKL-SIN as SIN-BKK is operated by a partner. The journey concept only kicks in if both flights are on NZ metal.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
No... I flew CHC-WLG-CHC in the past month or so and got the APD credited after almost immediately after each segment.
That's because your flights were a return journey. If you fly in one direction, eg, WLG-CHC-IVC, you will not get your points until you have flown the CHC-IVC sector.

I usually fly to LAX from SYD. I won't get my points from the SYD-AKL sector. It's always credited as SYD-LAX when the AKL-LAX sector completes. However, my next trip will leave me more than 24 hours on the ground at AKL. I hope then they will be credited separately which will be significantly more.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 1:38 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite

I usually fly to LAX from SYD. I won't get my points from the SYD-AKL sector. It's always credited as SYD-LAX when the AKL-LAX sector completes. However, my next trip will leave me more than 24 hours on the ground at AKL. I hope then they will be credited separately which will be significantly more.
Actual earn will never vary from the estimated earn except in exceptional circumstances such as a manual flight change by staff. Assuming you're on a single ticket it won't matter how long your stopover is in AKL, you will still have the same APD/SP since it's still a single journey on NZ metal.

The only way to earn more is to buy two individual tickets. I know plenty of people doing this domestically now because they're sick of the terrible earn on regional routes. If you're flying say KKE to WLG via AKL you will typically pay exactly the same price whether you book it as a single sector or two, but will earn over twice as many SP booking as 2 sectors. It's where the whole journey system is totally messed up, and shows how unfair it is on regional travelers who pay big $$ but earn very little in a program that's (according to Air NZ) reward spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.