Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air NZ and the *Alliance welcome our Koru, Gold and Gold Elite customers to board...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ and the *Alliance welcome our Koru, Gold and Gold Elite customers to board...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Angry Air NZ and the *Alliance welcome our Koru, Gold and Gold Elite customers to board...

This is often heard followed by every man and his dog getting to the front of the queue before the general boarding call is announced. As a Koru member my understanding is that we should get Priority Boarding but I literally never experienced this when flying domestically / regionally with Air New Zealand.

Anyone else? I imagine the situation is different flying internationally somehow, but Air NZ don't make this clear.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by codyc1515
This is often heard followed by every man and his dog getting to the front of the queue before the general boarding call is announced. As a Koru member my understanding is that we should get Priority Boarding but I literally never experienced this when flying domestically / regionally with Air New Zealand.

Anyone else? I imagine the situation is different flying internationally somehow, but Air NZ don't make this clear.
Yes it's a non existent benefit as its never policed. I raised this in the recent Air NZ Gold survey.

I flew Virgin domestically in Australia last week and the lady manning the gate was sending non qualifying people to the back of the que - I was impressed!
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:31 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
I think most gate agents try to avoid confrontation... and usually let those people board even if they're not "eligible".

On my most recent trips to the US and UK, I noticed the order for International widebodies now goes:

- Business Premier and Airpoints Elite members
- Premium Economy, Airpoints Gold, Star Alliance Gold & Koru members
- Everyone else

It's nice that they are now boarding Elite with Business Premier, however at Heathrow and LAX I have seen Gold members (NOT Elite) joining the queue and they were allowed to board as well...
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:51 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Priority boarding on Domestic is an joke in AKL, the mere 45seconds they seem to give you before it become an free for all. They really needed to make an priority line at each gate, they seem to forget that the 'priority boarding' type are still in the lounge when they make the call. My understand is that it should be an separate line that one can go straight up too at any time during boarding.

I'd love to see automate ticket gates at AKL,WLG,CHC domestic that self enforce the boarding patten.

AKL Insertional has the ability for an priority lane, problem being half the time there isn't an staff member on it.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 12:59 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Priority boarding is Air NZ giving lip service to Star Alliance benefits.
It is non existent domestically. They take one breath between mentioning priority boarding and general boarding.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Auckland trialled seperate queues for a while on all jet services last year. Based on my experience a few times there were more people in the priority queue than the normal one.

Yes some of them would have been people in the wrong queue, but it wouldn't surprise me is 50% + of pax on a peak time jet service have HVC status.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
The type of priority queue I've seen work better are ones that are perpendicular to the normal boarding queue, with the priority one to the side. There are simple and effective approaches using visual queues rather than audio like a larger signage and distinction of the boarding process. Majority of passengers ignore boarding calls and just follow and join a queue.

It would seem Air NZ does not care given there is no added value to their business operations and unlikely to affect OTP
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:29 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
As much as I loath flying domestically in the US, I do prefer the boarding lines most airlines have in place for HVC passengers. The zoned boarding lines UA have seem to do the trick.

However, I'm pretty sure zoned boarding is one of the least efficient ways of boarding aircraft passengers, with free-for-all, unallocated seating actually being the most efficient. Source needed.

But as most have pointed out here, ANZ can be pretty poor with policing and providing priority benefits. Hell, even *A Silver gets priority boarding and baggage on UA.

The number of Koru customers certainly doesn't help IMO.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 5:36 pm

Mythbusters did it
http://mythresults.com/airplane-boarding

Free for all was fastest. Though with free for all satisfaction was lower. Makes it more stressful.

Back to front slowest.

Window then Middle then Aisle derivatives (reverse pyramid) all about the same. Basically stop people having to get out of seats once there.

Though they didn't do the front and rear boarding. Though there is always that person at the back who wants to get off the front and battles their way forward rather than waiting for everyone to get off the rear first. I'm surprised they don't do front and rear boarding on TT A320s to save time.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 6:35 pm

Programs: NZ*E
trust me, they would not stop you if you are in the queue..

speaking of which, i am very disappointed with many people queue jumping... I know they must be GE/E/G and I did see them coming out from the lounge at domestic lounge (AKL), but so did myself, when will people learn how to queue?

and internationally, sorry to go off-topic
I have seen recently that SQ put *G economy back to the main gate and reserve the other for PPS/First/Business....
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by yotty
However, I'm pretty sure zoned boarding is one of the least efficient ways of boarding aircraft passengers, with free-for-all, unallocated seating actually being the most efficient. Source needed.
I've seen a few altercations on Southwestern flights with zoned but unallocated seating as people fight for an aisle or window. It was simultaneously entertaining & disturbing.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Kamadan
I think most gate agents try to avoid confrontation... and usually let those people board even if they're not "eligible".

On my most recent trips to the US and UK, I noticed the order for International widebodies now goes:

- Business Premier and Airpoints Elite members
- Premium Economy, Airpoints Gold, Star Alliance Gold & Koru members
- Everyone else

It's nice that they are now boarding Elite with Business Premier, however at Heathrow and LAX I have seen Gold members (NOT Elite) joining the queue and they were allowed to board as well...
In HNL a separate gate agent traversed the priority queue and checked the status of each passenger, sending the vast quantities of people in the queue away.

Three weeks ago NPL boarded passengers with status first, but I'm not sure whether this was policed. Most of my turbo-prop domestic sectors never even announce priority boarding, so this was a surprise.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 5:08 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Koru
Yeah, as a Koru member, (I realise you're not that highly valued), but it would be nice to make use of the apparent feature!
Old Jun 15, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by nzkarit
I'm surprised they don't do front and rear boarding on TT A320s to save time.
Would need AIAL to implement stairs from the departures gates, most only have step stairs on the airbridge.

When they get the A321 they are probably going to need to.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Would need AIAL to implement stairs from the departures gates, most only have step stairs on the airbridge.

When they get the A321 they are probably going to need to.
Is there a need though - steps on domestic are there primarily to meet the tight turnaround between many flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.