Travel agent woes - changing flight

Old May 25, 2016, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ G
Travel agent woes - changing flight

Hi FT

I have booked AKL-NAN-AKL, outbound 13 August, return 17 August.

I am now looking to change the return flight to Saturday 20 August.

The tickets are currently L booking class. The new return ticket is current S booking class when I try to book online.

I have been advised by the corporate travel agent that given the return ticket is currently L booking class, I cannot then change the flight day, as this would be a ticket downgrade (to an S booking class).

Is this correct? Any advice for me here (aside from ditching the TA)?

Thanks in advance
AI
Old May 25, 2016, 7:28 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
You can change your ticket but it will be to L class still. Most of NZ's cheaper fare do not permit fare downgrades.

Also, L class is non-refundable anyway to NAN so you wouldn't get a refund of the difference anyway.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Thanks - this is what I thought. I'm not concerned with a fare difference refund, just want to fly back on the Saturday.

Now I have to convince the TA that this is possible...
Old May 26, 2016, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Email from Air NZ:

When changing an airfare, the new fare class must be higher or equal to the previous one as fare downgrades are not permitted.

In your case if the L class you purchased is not available on the day you want to travel, you will need to upgrade the fare to T class and pay the applicable fare difference.

It would appear that even though S is available, I need to purchase the upgraded T fare. Air NZ won't change the S fare to an L fare.

Last edited by AucklandIrish; May 29, 2016 at 9:41 pm Reason: Further info from airline

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.