Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Check in deadline AU-NZ 120 min. - really ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2016, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, OWE

Sorry to ask this, but I was really surprised.
It states on the website, that the CI deadline is 120 min. for a flight in BC from AU to NZ.
This seems to be really early, so I wanted to check with you as the experts.
Honestly I was expectign 60 min. or so.
Is it really 120 min. or is this more a recommendation ?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:46 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Check in online and drop bags if any 90 mins before, I don't travel with bags and usually turn up one hour or less before departure time
Old Apr 1, 2016, 9:09 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Depends on the Airport? if its SYD you want at-least 90minutes if you've got bags are aren't fimlair with SYD airport. Its around an 20-30minute trip from NZ's check-in to Lounge / Departure Gate depending on customs and security.

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/international-check-in
Old Apr 1, 2016, 12:17 pm

True I guess what I'm saying here is when you check in online, the App reflects the bag drop time which is what is sufficient to complete security and immigration

TheAirman what is your routing?
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:32 pm

its highly recommended that check in is 90-120 mins at airports for international departures in Australia... it only takes for bad weather, a couple of disrupts or several aircraft to be taking off that will throw the whole thing out.. its mainly to ensure you get through check in and immigration... i personally hate to be running for a flight, so get there early and sit and relax.. online checkin makes it easier, but why push it.. there is always that one person who running late and holding up the aircraft... don't be that guy!!!
Old Apr 1, 2016, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kuddlykoala
its highly recommended that check in is 90-120 mins at airports for international departures in Australia... it only takes for bad weather, a couple of disrupts or several aircraft to be taking off that will throw the whole thing out.. its mainly to ensure you get through check in and immigration... i personally hate to be running for a flight, so get there early and sit and relax.. online checkin makes it easier, but why push it.. there is always that one person who running late and holding up the aircraft... don't be that guy!!!
This isn't the question. What is required can be very different from what you or an airline recommends.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 12:27 am

Check in and immigration shouldn't be the issue with Express lanes since OP is *G with Air NZ (assuming why it was posted here). Most certainly not for AKL-SYD route and WLG-SYD doesn't have the level of traffic that would hold up customs or immigration. Rather than running for a flight I recommend people to flag airport staff and let them know the flight number and boarding call and they will assist.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 1:08 am

40 minutes prior to schedule departure time is usually the cut-off time for check-in.

I have had check-in re-opened at AKL Int'l at 30 minutes before departure to NAN, with a check-in bag and it was operated by a 777 and no delay.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
Routing is SYD-AKL.
Question is what is the cut-off time from NZ to say "no we don't accept any bag anymore for your flight".
I now read 40 min., 90. min. or 120 min. - what's the right answer ?
Old Apr 2, 2016, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by TheAirman
Routing is SYD-AKL.
Question is what is the cut-off time from NZ to say "no we don't accept any bag anymore for your flight".
I now read 40 min., 90. min. or 120 min. - what's the right answer ?
Defiantly not 90 or 120 minutes!

Airlines do not like to publish the cut-off time but I am fairly certain (not 100%) its 40 minutes for Trans Tasman flights (including NZ and QF).
Old Apr 2, 2016, 3:04 am

Just FYI - the (published) order is:
Before online CI - 120 minutes (appears in the App prior to online CI completion available from 24 hours to 90 mins prior to departure)
Post online CI - 90 minutes (normal intl route)
If online CI and Bag drop Sydney is 75 minutes (otherwise is 60 mins)

http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/check-in-online

So really the difference is 15 mins based on your original query which is technically true however not for ex SYD unless exception. I'd say 40 mins is also probably an exception - I have actual references of individuals who've manage to board their flight AFTER the gates were physically closed for intl.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: NZ*E
thinking if I should start a new thread but found this... lets add to it and see if the collective power can resolve this...

I have a problem with my online check in and air nz cannot tell me what caused the problem. I have a NZ passport that is due to expire in Dec this year but there is no requirement for it to be valid for 6 months going into AUS. Anyone know if this is the problem that is blocking me doing an online check-in?

many thanks
Old Jun 27, 2017, 9:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
While it doesn't answer your question is there any reason why you even bother with OLCI for TT flights?

If you do you still visit the kiosk still to get your passport validated by the APP system or give it to lounge or gate staff which simply wastes their time.

I just always use the kiosk even when I'm carry on only to save everybody else the hassle.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
Last year my passport was about to expire in a month and AirNZ's system (The Physical Kiosks) didn't allow me to check in (Flying to Australia) . They had to clear it manually so I could could leave.

I would think you'll have the same problem doing a OLCI. You'll have to actually go to the Kiosks and try and get them to manually check you in.
Old Jun 27, 2017, 10:56 pm

Programs: NZ*E
Originally Posted by Craig Whitmore
Last year my passport was about to expire in a month and AirNZ's system (The Physical Kiosks) didn't allow me to check in (Flying to Australia) . They had to clear it manually so I could could leave.

I would think you'll have the same problem doing a OLCI. You'll have to actually go to the Kiosks and try and get them to manually check you in.
thanks Craig. This is useful, but I wish if NZ would be more upfront about it when I asked....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.