Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Check in deadline AU-NZ 120 min. - really ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check in deadline AU-NZ 120 min. - really ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: NZ*G, back of the bus UA, corner of the MLL AC.
Have checked in at SYD at T-45 before, as *G. No problems at all, kiosks were empty and pretty quick through security. This was for the late afternoon flight.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 4:20 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
To add since, of the times I have turned up late and checkin was closed it was always J so that might help
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Is it feasible to do a same day, same plane NZ turnaround at SYD? No bags.
Arriving AKL-SYD at 10:30am on the return of ticket 1 and departing SYD-AKL at 11:50am on the 1st leg of ticket 2.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:21 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by SFO777
Is it feasible to do a same day, same plane NZ turnaround at SYD? No bags.
Arriving AKL-SYD at 10:30am on the return of ticket 1 and departing SYD-AKL at 11:50am on the 1st leg of ticket 2.
You could do it, although if your not on NZ/AU passport don't think you would want to try without an good reason, your likely to get flagged at Customs in AKL.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
You could do it, although if your not on NZ/AU passport don't think you would want to try without an good reason, your likely to get flagged at Customs in AKL.
Thanks cavemanzk. Not really worried about AKL as I have plenty of time there each way. It's SYD that concerns me. I don't recall have much problem with SYD customs at 7am, then going back thru security when we did DFW-SYD-ZQN last year. Can I OLCI my SYD-AKL-LAX flights so I don't have to worry about a check-in deadline?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It's risky because (a) you need to either check in for the return flight in AKL (which NZ is not obligated to permit) or reach the gate in SYD before check in closes, and (b) there is no guarantee the same aircraft will be operating the return flight (especially if A320 flights) thus any delay in the first flight runs a high risk of missing the second one.

With no checked bags you don't need to clear immigration in SYD, only transfer security.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It's risky because (a) you need to either check in for the return flight in AKL (which NZ is not obligated to permit) or reach the gate in SYD before check in closes, and (b) there is no guarantee the same aircraft will be operating the return flight (especially if A320 flights) thus any delay in the first flight runs a high risk of missing the second one.
With no checked bags you don't need to clear immigration in SYD, only transfer security.
Thanks Kiwi Flyer. Great to know about no customs and just transfer security.
Pretty sure that it's same plane as it's a 772 inbound and 772 outbound.
So I would need to physically check in somewhere vs. OLCI?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: SQ TPP7, NZ*E, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
You should now be able to check-in on the app, otherwise, you can visit the transfer desk or check-in in the lounge.

All very doable IMHO.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SqKiwi
You should now be able to check-in on the app, otherwise, you can visit the transfer desk or check-in in the lounge.
All very doable IMHO.
Excellent. Thanks SqKiwi.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:12 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
It has been years since the SYD lounge has been able to do check in.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It has been years since the SYD lounge has been able to do check in.
I'd be concerned about missing the check-in deadline by the time I got to the lounge anyway. If I'm going to do the quick turn, I'd be counting on OLCI or checkin at AKL prior to my AKL-SYD flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.