Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

EK daily direct AKL to DXB from 1 March 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*E, Accor Gold, PGR Black

Looks like EK beat QR to the punch!! Yet more options, competition and capacity through AKL...

http://www.emirates.com/nz/English/a...200lr-aircraft

Interesting that they will be using 777-200LR equipment and the new service has an estimated flight time of just under 16 hours from DXB to New Zealand and 17 hours, 15 minutes in the other direction. This will make it one of their longest routes.

Eastbound - EK 448, depart DXB 10:05 and arrive in AKL 11:00+1
Westbound - EK 449, depart AKL 21:30 and arrive DXB 05:45+1
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
16+ hours in 10 abreast, barely 17" wide Economy seats?

Angled flat 2-3-2 Business class seats?

Thanks, but no thanks.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Kamadan
16+ hours in 10 abreast, barely 17" wide Economy seats?
New business venture for AIAL, they could open up an physio clinic in arrivals.

After doing 13hrs on AKL-YVR in 772refit, don't think I could do 17 hours on an EK 777.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:10 am

Technically, there are already EK "direct flights" operating between AKL and DXB.

The new flight announced however is a nonstop.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Just fly in Suites and you don't have to worry about the accommodation in Economy or Business! I'm sure it'll be cheap LOL.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:49 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
New business venture for AIAL, they could open up an physio clinic in arrivals.

After doing 13hrs on AKL-YVR in 772refit, don't think I could do 17 hours on an EK 777.
Come on it's not that bad. I survived YVR-AKL in economy with no IFE in Nov. The secret is Glenmorangie's as compensation for the busted IFE.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
It'll be interesting to see if this becomes a game changer in any way.

I know a lot of people who won't consider flying Emirates now to Europe because of the extra stop. I wonder whether those same people will consider them but with one massive leg?

I still much prefer the options via Asia or North America where you have two legs both reasonable length.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I know a lot of people who won't consider flying Emirates now to Europe because of the extra stop. I wonder whether those same people will consider them but with one massive leg?
It will be inserting, fares aren't to bad to London (LGW) still not as fast as NZ1/2.

EK
AKL-DXB-LGW 27 hours
LGW-DXB-AKL 32 hours

AKL-DXB-CDG 27 hours
CDG-DXB-AKL 29 hours

NZ
AKL-LAX-LHR 24 hours
LHR-LAX-AKL 26 hours

AKL-HKG-CDG 26 hours
CDG-HKG-AKL 26 hours
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:21 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Come on it's not that bad. I survived YVR-AKL in economy with no IFE in Nov. The secret is Glenmorangie's as compensation for the busted IFE.
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you also get an entire SkyCouch for that trip? That helped too, in the world of 17"-wide Y seats...

Having said that, I did LAX-LHR in NZ 773 before in a completely full plane, although that's "only" just over 10 hours.
LHR-LAX was even shorter at under 10hrs plus it was a day flight and managed to get an exit row...
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I've done 16 hours in Y before. You just need neck support and good drugs!

Anything that eliminates a connection or stop is a win in my book. But I won't give these dirtbags my (or my firm's) $$$.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
It will be inserting, fares aren't to bad to London (LGW) still not as fast as NZ1/2.

EK
AKL-DXB-LGW 27 hours
LGW-DXB-AKL 32 hours

AKL-DXB-CDG 27 hours
CDG-DXB-AKL 29 hours

NZ
AKL-LAX-LHR 24 hours
LHR-LAX-AKL 26 hours

AKL-HKG-CDG 26 hours
CDG-HKG-AKL 26 hours
Where EK shines is that it allows direct insertion into a number of secondary European ports (VCE, EDI, BHX, GLA, DUB, HAM, VIE...) that most of the Asian airlines don't serve nonstop from their Asian hub. For those pax EK will shave a bit of the time they already save by flying EK on on the one stop via Australia. Not to mention the major city pax they will pick up simply because they are EK or because some people want to fly into one city and out of another.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Kamadan

Angled flat 2-3-2 Business class seats?

Will EK ever get around to retrofitting those seats or are they here to stay? Seems odd that they would not put true lie flat in ultra long haul planes.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:34 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by jawnbc
I've done 16 hours in Y before. You just need neck support and good drugs!

Anything that eliminates a connection or stop is a win in my book. But I won't give these dirtbags my (or my firm's) $$$.
Good man, I wouldn't touch them with a 3 metre pole either. I flew them once a number of years ago ( but my conscience is relatively clear... someone else paid for the ticket, so I wasn't personally giving them my money ).
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
Will EK ever get around to retrofitting those seats or are they here to stay? Seems odd that they would not put true lie flat in ultra long haul planes.
Do EK ever retrofit their aircraft? I thought they just ran their aircraft into the ground over 12 years then dump/return to lessors. This will mean that the 777-200LR would be leaving the fleet in a few years.
Another thing to consider with fitting of new seats, that due to the global manufacturing capacity for aircraft seats being strained over the last couple of years it is not easy to do a cabin refurbishment for a large fleet (the EK 777 fleet) in a short period of time, hence QF and even NZ long time between announcement and completion of their refits.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:57 pm

It'll be interesting to see if this becomes a game changer in any way.

I still much prefer the options via Asia or North America where you have two legs both reasonable length.
Agreed - if it's possible I prefer 13 hours + 10 hours rather than 16 hours + 7 hours.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.