Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

EK daily direct AKL to DXB from 1 March 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EK daily direct AKL to DXB from 1 March 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Kamadan
Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't you also get an entire SkyCouch for that trip? That helped too, in the world of 17"-wide Y seats...

Having said that, I did LAX-LHR in NZ 773 before in a completely full plane, although that's "only" just over 10 hours.
LHR-LAX was even shorter at under 10hrs plus it was a day flight and managed to get an exit row...
Had a Skycouch row on the way over to YVR as a HVC benefit, just a regular seat on the way back.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 5:22 pm

Doing a few dummy searches in April for AKL -> DXB in Business shows that both the non-stop flight and the flights with a stop in Australia are at the same price. So if you want to enjoy the better business in A380 you don't have to pay more - just spend some more time travelling
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I noticed Grant Bradley in The Herald thinks Air NZ have 2 classes in their 777-200. He's terrible as an aviation writer with errors in a significant percentage of the stories he writes.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I noticed Grant Bradley in The Herald thinks Air NZ have 2 classes in their 777-200. He's terrible as an aviation writer with errors in a significant percentage of the stories he writes.
There is your problem, you're reading The Herald. :P

And yes, sometimes I wonder if anyone is qualified to write articles for them... Grant knows almost nothing about aviation/travel and does no fact checking.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
It'll be interesting to see if this becomes a game changer in any way.

I know a lot of people who won't consider flying Emirates now to Europe because of the extra stop. I wonder whether those same people will consider them but with one massive leg?
Anecdotal but on the EK flights I've been on I can't say I've seen lots of spare seats. Definitely got some great brand recognition going for them. There are people that hate LAX and LHR and fly west to the UK to avoid those airports at all costs. EK are also cheaper flying west than using Air NZ to fly to Europe. At least when I've checked. That's gotta sway a significant portion of the market.

I don't have a problem flying west. Imagine...one stop to Oktoberfest

It's funny the one carrier I'm itching for - EY isn't coming!! (But I'll keep my fingers crossed). Saving the best for last

Edit: I wonder if they'll let you earn QF sc/points on this sector.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:00 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
I'm surprised that none of the publicity materials mention that this will be the world's longest nonstop flight... at least until QR finally launches its AKL-DOH. It's substantially longer than the current champion, QF's SYD-DFW route, and longer also than EK's announced (but delayed and, according to some, unlikely to eventuate DXB-PTY route).

Though perhaps with the subpar equipment on offer, EK isn't keen to stress the extreme length of the flight...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF Bronze, VA Red
He probably thinks the two classes are Business and Not-Business.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 2:13 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Edit: I wonder if they'll let you earn QF sc/points on this sector.
Yes, and also redeem awards although only economy seems to be available on award at the moment.

QF codeshare hasn't yet been added, so less points if you have QFF status.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:43 pm

Programs: NZ, QF
I reckon it is a strategic move in response to QR's entry into the market (which may in turn motivate EY to come). The non-stop, direct flight probably will affect NZ and SQ's operation to SIN most, followed by the other East Asian hubs connecting to Europe.

Interesting that a few years back Air NZ had dominant position in its core markets; now, competitors appear all front, for example, the 'big three' Chinese carriers on the Chinese routes, AA on its Trans-Pacific routes and even JetStar on its regional domestic routes.

If the new EK flight does not have good on-time performance, it will be a nightmare to arriving passengers to AKL since most long-haul flights ex-Asia will arrive in early afternoon. It will be a very crowded terminal!
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Quokka
Technically, there are already EK "direct flights" operating between AKL and DXB.

The new flight announced however is a nonstop.
Well-done, finally someone knows the proper definition of the term ^
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by kyanar
He probably thinks the two classes are Business and Not-Business.
And it highlights the lack of precision and facts checking on some news articles they publish
Old Jan 29, 2016, 4:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering
If the new EK flight does not have good on-time performance, it will be a nightmare to arriving passengers to AKL since most long-haul flights ex-Asia will arrive in early afternoon. It will be a very crowded terminal!
No they don't mostly arrive early afternoon.

In my experience early morning, mid afternoon and midnight are the busiest times at AKL immigration and customs.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:24 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by Kamadan
And yes, sometimes I wonder if anyone is qualified to write articles for them... Grant knows almost nothing about aviation/travel and does no fact checking.
That sounds like he has perfect credentials to be a Herald journalist!

Yes, he is an embarrassingly bad travel reporter. And the Herald is an embarrassingly bad newspaper.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 6:30 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by KeepDiscovering
I reckon it is a strategic move in response to QR's entry into the market (which may in turn motivate EY to come).
Of course it is! Not sure, though, whether EY will be tempted. NZ is, after all, a tiny market and all the many options available now (especially if the QR one evolves) are starting to make it feel a bit "overfished".
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:40 pm

Programs: TK*S, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pbl22
Of course it is! Not sure, though, whether EY will be tempted. NZ is, after all, a tiny market and all the many options available now (especially if the QR one evolves) are starting to make it feel a bit "overfished".
I find it hard to believe the business case exists for such a route. Then again, state subsidized..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.