Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Is this really how gold qualification works?

Is this really how gold qualification works?

Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by sbiddle
myairnz shows the last 12 months records so it's very easy to see SP/APD earn and you only need to look at the same month from a year ago to see when SP will drop off.
Bingo!
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
NZ bumped me to gold a day after a chat with customer service. And, realising that I can check expiring credits on my statement has been enormously helpful. Many thanks all on the forum!

This experience did bring up a related question - I took a trip in March 2015, but for various reasons it did not post until June, 2015. Will my credits expire on the anniversary of travel or anniversary of posting? If, by lucky chance, the latter applies, I'll have a decent chance making Elite this year.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:47 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by LGACIC
This experience did bring up a related question - I took a trip in March 2015, but for various reasons it did not post until June, 2015. Will my credits expire on the anniversary of travel or anniversary of posting? If, by lucky chance, the latter applies, I'll have a decent chance making Elite this year.
It will expire on the anniversary of travel... unfortunately for you with the aim of making Elite.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 9:31 pm

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by SamB2356
To my knowledge, Airpoints Dollars and Status Points are meant to be back credited against the time of the actual flight they apply to. I would ring the Call Centre, they should be able to correct it for you.
Yes same happened to me, I made a mileage run a couple of days before my 12 month requal period (sydney and back on VA) that brought me back over Elite AND due to lots of credit card points meant a banked year. However, it took about ten days to post so I had dropped back to gold, but once the miles posted they went back and put me back to elite plus a banked year.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Qantas Gold, Accor Gold
Calculating qualifying Status Points to go UP a tier.

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Rolling 12 months has always been 12 months with points expiring on the day. It'd be extremely unfair if it was monthly, some people would effectively get 13 months.
I am prepared to be corrected here (please don't flame me!) - in my bid to regain NZ*E (after being NZ*E for 5 years then brutally falling short and going to NZ*G for a year (#firstworldproblems)) I set up a sheet to track where I was and what I needed to make it back.

They say on the website that they check each day to see if you've earned enough in the last 12 month period. Intuitively, this would mean that if it was eg June 21st 2016, the system would look back to June 21st 2015 and include any SP earned in that period - and going forward it would add a day and drop a day each time - right?

I discovered, to my horror, a slightly different reality. I found that it totally ignored any SP earned in the whole month last year - ie - you're on June 21st 2016, so it would look back from there until July 1st 2015 - ie it disregards any SP earned in June 2015. This rule applied from June 1st.

Once I'd figured this out, and adjusted my calculations accordingly, I then figured out what qualifying flights I needed to make and more crucially, by when.

My calculations worked down to the last SP, as I have now just successfully got back in the NZ*E club!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by magnummike
I am prepared to be corrected here (please don't flame me!) - in my bid to regain NZ*E (after being NZ*E for 5 years then brutally falling short and going to NZ*G for a year (#firstworldproblems)) I set up a sheet to track where I was and what I needed to make it back.

They say on the website that they check each day to see if you've earned enough in the last 12 month period. Intuitively, this would mean that if it was eg June 21st 2016, the system would look back to June 21st 2015 and include any SP earned in that period - and going forward it would add a day and drop a day each time - right?

I discovered, to my horror, a slightly different reality. I found that it totally ignored any SP earned in the whole month last year - ie - you're on June 21st 2016, so it would look back from there until July 1st 2015 - ie it disregards any SP earned in June 2015. This rule applied from June 1st.

Once I'd figured this out, and adjusted my calculations accordingly, I then figured out what qualifying flights I needed to make and more crucially, by when.

My calculations worked down to the last SP, as I have now just successfully got back in the NZ*E club!
I don't know that what you have posted above is accurate. I understand that SP drop off 365 days from earn and looking at my account today I can see June transactions from last year pre June 21 for which status points are now zero while there are transactions on June 24 still showing SP.

Where did you get information about a rule change at the start of this month?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by magnummike
I have now just successfully got back in the NZ*E club!
Well done on making it back.

I set a spreadsheet up to track my path back to *G (done!) and on to *E (possible, but unlikely). It gets update based on the information on the airnz app on an almost daily basis because most of my travel is domestic, i.e. little and often and I update everything as soon as I have finished flying.

I see the old SPs dropping off a year to the day after they were awarded; every 366 days this year because of the leap year, and I hadn't seen any kind of end of month cut off related issues.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Qantas Gold, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by drajknox
I don't know that what you have posted above is accurate. I understand that SP drop off 365 days from earn and looking at my account today I can see June transactions from last year pre June 21 for which status points are now zero while there are transactions on June 24 still showing SP.

Where did you get information about a rule change at the start of this month?
Originally Posted by Aqua_3380
Well done on making it back.

I set a spreadsheet up to track my path back to *G (done!) and on to *E (possible, but unlikely). It gets update based on the information on the airnz app on an almost daily basis because most of my travel is domestic, i.e. little and often and I update everything as soon as I have finished flying.

I see the old SPs dropping off a year to the day after they were awarded; every 366 days this year because of the leap year, and I hadn't seen any kind of end of month cut off related issues.
Hi team
drajknox - there was no information about a rule change. I just noticed when I was working to the rolling 365 'method', I wasn't getting the same numbers as the AirNZ website/app. When I adjusted it as I outlined above, it then all lined up.

Aqua_3380 - cheers - good to be back
Well, the good news is it's working for you (and the way we all agree it should work) - so maybe there was a glitch just for me (the universe was trying to stop me!). The even better news (for me anyway), is that I just have to focus on requalifying now, and not have to worry about the extra hurdle of qualifying. Good luck Aqua_3380 on your quest!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.