AKL Lounge access flying CX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

AKL Lounge access flying CX

Hi,

I quote the details provided on the AirNZ website:

Cathay Pacific alliance
•As a Koru member, you can access our lounge in Auckland (when travelling to Hong Kong) or the Thai Airways Business Lounge in Hong Kong (when travelling to Auckland) when travelling on an Air New Zealand flight number (NZ4990-4995 operated by Cathay Pacific and NZ35, NZ85, NZ38, NZ80 operated by Air New Zealand).

I know that it seems pretty clear, but how do the staff actually tell that you're flying on a NZ flight number operated by CX? I'm just wondering if there's a bit of leeway in this policy or if its very strict?
I'm a Koru member and my employer booked CX198, not the NZ flight number. I'm annoyed if I can't use the lounge based on this.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:11 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
It doesn't sound promising. I flew with another NZ elite that booked a non-NZ flight number, they were declined Air NZ lounge access because of this and because I had booked the NZ flight number I had access and guested them.

Is it possible if in future you could search the flights that fit the best and request your employer book those? And just add a note saying why.

I haven't been very observant of my BP when it comes to code share flights. I'm sure I've seen some oddities but if it's scanned ok I've not given it any further thought.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Not a CX example but when I travelled on the NZ code on TN metal they asked for the itinerary that showed I purchased the NZ code.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Not a CX example but when I travelled on the NZ code on TN metal they asked for the itinerary that showed I purchased the NZ code.
That doesn't sound promising for me, I've got an AKL-YVR booked as LH7155 (NZ24).

They let me as an Koru select Frequent Flyer Seats, but will they let me in the lounge
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:54 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
That doesn't sound promising for me, I've got an AKL-YVR booked as LH7155 (NZ24).

They let me as an Koru select Frequent Flyer Seats, but will they let me in the lounge
As Koru you don't meet the access requirements. If you were *G you would.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
As Koru you don't meet the access requirements. If you were *G you would.
Which is why I don't understand why there letting my select frequent flyer seats, worth an shot

Last edited by cavemanzk; Dec 1, 2015 at 9:22 pm
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:34 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Which is why I don't understand why there letting my select frequent flyer seats, worth an shot
I say try it.
Your BP would print NZ24 but would they system scan you in eg. check your details in the computer and see KC but on LH7155 and give the red light?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I say try it.
Your BP would print NZ24 but would they system scan you in eg. check your details in the computer and see KC but on LH7155 and give the red light?
That's what I was thinking, even the APP displays it as NZ24/LH7155. Surely if the website is picking up the KC, then the boarding pass will print NZ*K

What will be more interesting is the PVG-AKL booked on NZ288 but on an LH Ticket.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
LH flight AIRNZ plane

I asked at the Auckland International lounge last week and they said so as it is a AIRNZ plane it is ok (for a Elite Partner and Koru Club member)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Beano
I asked at the Auckland International lounge last week and they said so as it is a AIRNZ plane it is ok (for a Elite Partner and Koru Club member)
Awesome thanks for the info
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA LTG QF LTG/P1 NZ*E
I've been thinking about this (and it's done my head in)

Travelling on CX118 sold as NZ4993 it seems I have access to the NZ lounge (as a NZ *G) but not the QF lounge as a QF Plat (as the flight is not marketed and operated but a OW airline)

Coming back I will be on NZ80. If I interpret this correctly I can access any of the HKG *G lounges (UA/TG/SQ) but also at the CX business lounges

Am I wrong...
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
I had the exact flights booked last month, used the AKL Lounge and then used the SQ Lounge at HKG (Was able to use any of the *A lounges)
Old Dec 2, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by jswong
I've been thinking about this (and it's done my head in)

Travelling on CX118 sold as NZ4993 it seems I have access to the NZ lounge (as a NZ *G) but not the QF lounge as a QF Plat (as the flight is not marketed and operated but a OW airline)

Coming back I will be on NZ80. If I interpret this correctly I can access any of the HKG *G lounges (UA/TG/SQ) but also at the CX business lounges

Am I wrong...
If you refer to Air NZ's page regarding the co-operation agreements on the AKL-HKG route:
Elite and Gold members can enjoy lounge access at the Air New Zealand lounge in Auckland or in Hong Kong in the Cathay Pacific Business class lounges when travelling on an Air New Zealand numbered flight between Auckland and Hong Kong.

Elite and Gold members can also access Cathay Pacific/Dragonair business class lounges in Hong Kong, Beijing or Shanghai when they connect to or from a Cathay Pacific or Dragonair flight to or from Beijing or Shanghai.
Access to CX's various Business Class lounge is only granted for NZ's own Elite/Gold members. Granted it did not specifically mention other *G members but I would think it does NOT offer such access for non NZ elites.

Which makes sense, as it is NZ that pays CX for their own members for such access (and in return CX pays NZ for access in the AKL NZ lounge). I doubt other *A airlines will be willing to pay CX for access.

When I last visited The Wing flying NZ80, it took a good while for the CX lounge dragon to grant me and guest access, in fact they pulled out a folder with specific instructions which lists out the entry criteria.

You can try your luck of course using your UA *G (1K) credentials, but I suggest setting a realistic expectation - no access. SG's SilverKris lounge in HKG is not too bad actually, if you don't mind the lack of windows/views.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 2:19 am

Programs: Lifetime *G (MP), Lifetime PE (Bonvoy)
My experience in the past with the Air NZ lounge in Auckland is that they don't know the rules and very often make it up as they go along. A few years ago I was travelling on NZ to Sydney and my partner was checked in on TG to Bangkok. As a *G I was entitled to a guest. They tried to refuse my partner entry, so (well prepared) I whipped out a printout of the Star Alliance Lounge Access rules that provide for precisely that scenario and they had to back down - which they did especially gracelessly, I'd have to say

It may also depend on how busy the lounge is. Monday morning seems a particularly busy time, with scarcely a spare seat except in places like the TV lounge when I was there a couple of weeks ago, so the busier the lounge the more likely they are to be looking for excuses to keep people out. It never hurts to ask however, and the number of times I've heard, in various circumstances, "Just this once"
Old Dec 2, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: SQ,CX,LX
I don't quite understand this now. I'm also travelling on CX198 in April in business class, on the CX website it says that the CX Auckland Business Class Lounge is the Air New Zealand lounge and can be used as a business class passsenger. My wife also used CX198 a few months ago in business class and indeed did use the Air New Zealand lounge in Auckland. Have the entry rules changed recently so that CX business class passengers can no longer use the lounge?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.