Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Airpoints from 3rd Party Website Booking??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2015, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G

Had a return flight from Europe recently, and booked via Jetabroad, part of my journey was via PVG on NZ288, from day 1 of booking it showed up on my Airpoints App etc all the way through. However since returning last weekend nothing has showed up on my Airpoints Acc and when I tried to claim the points filling in all valid information it advised they couldn't find my details... Booking class was S & W and obviously economy, possibly i'm not eligible due to fare?
Old Oct 3, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
On NZ metal sectors (at least), you will definitely get APD (as long as it was credited to NZ). Just ring the prem desk and get it sorted.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbl22
On NZ metal sectors (at least), you will definitely get APD (as long as it was credited to NZ). Just ring the prem desk and get it sorted.
Air NZ wouldn't credit me any airpoints because the issuing airline was KLM Air France (next connection flight)... Didn't realise this at the time of booking, third party websites eh!
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:19 pm

OK, so it wasn't an NZ flight number you were booked on (not NZ288)?
Old Oct 5, 2015, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

OK, so it wasn't an NZ flight number you were booked on (not NZ288)?
I believe it was NZ289 there, 288 back, showed up on my profile on the Air NZ website and i was able to us my status to upgrade seats etc on the website, just not use my RU's.

AIR NEW ZEALAND NZ 289
Airline Confirmation: XK62WH Saturday, 05 September -
Sunday, 06 September
Not valid before: 05 Sep
Not valid after: 05 Sep

Departure: AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND
23:00
INTERNATIONAL TERMINAL

Arrival: SHANGHAI PUDONG, CHINA
07:30
TERMINAL 2
Class: Economy
Fare basis: RL2PRNZ
Seat: 43K
Bags: 1 PC

AIR FRANCE AF 117
Airline Confirmation: 2BV5H8 Sunday, 06 September
Not valid before: 06 Sep
Not valid after: 06 Se
Old Oct 5, 2015, 10:01 pm

If you credited that flight to Air NZ, I cannot understand why you didn't get APD for it. It's NZ marketed and operated - who sells you the ticket is irrelevant.

EDIT: I notice that the fare basis is RL2PRNZ, which I see was a special deal KLM were advertising back earlier in the year. Maybe this is simply a non-earnable fare class?

Last edited by pbl22; Oct 5, 2015 at 10:15 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:06 am
Original Poster

Correct and that's what I thought was possibly the issue.

However lady at call centre said it wasn't an air NZ ticketed fare so not eligible.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by Sam_87
Correct and that's what I thought was possibly the issue.

However lady at call centre said it wasn't an air NZ ticketed fare so not eligible.
I've got a feeling these online travel agents have very strange ways of putting a variety airlines on the same ticket, when it wouldn't normally be done through a bricks and mortar agent.

Even through it was NZ marketed/operated, it was on a KLM ticket, so not eligible. The only time this is accepted is with partner airlines such as Star Alliance, VA, SQ, CX, etc...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:30 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
If you credited that flight to Air NZ, I cannot understand why you didn't get APD for it. It's NZ marketed and operated - who sells you the ticket is irrelevant.

EDIT: I notice that the fare basis is RL2PRNZ, which I see was a special deal KLM were advertising back earlier in the year. Maybe this is simply a non-earnable fare class?
This is the issue. As the fare basis begins with an R, the flight will not auto-accrue as R class is redemption/UG business on NZ (even if KL R maps to say NZ L).

NZ will have to manually force through the accrual.

It may be a little bit of a pain but it does go both ways. For example, RTW business fares (fare basis is CRWSTAR1/2/3 or CRWSPCL) will earn full C class rates for the NZ flights even though it's booked into Z class...
Old Oct 7, 2015, 3:01 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
This is the issue. As the fare basis begins with an R, the flight will not auto-accrue as R class is redemption/UG business on NZ (even if KL R maps to say NZ L).

NZ will have to manually force through the accrual.

It may be a little bit of a pain but it does go both ways. For example, RTW business fares (fare basis is CRWSTAR1/2/3 or CRWSPCL) will earn full C class rates for the NZ flights even though it's booked into Z class...
Incorrect. The fare basis and booking class are not the same thing and earning is based on booking class only.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 4:47 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Incorrect. The fare basis and booking class are not the same thing and earning is based on booking class only.
I know that.

The NZ systems seem to read the first letter of the fare basis. This is most likely to ensure that correct AP/SP are earned when passengers get pre-confirmed upgrades (into A/R class).

Here are some examples from my travels over the last 12 months:

1. AKL-LAX and HKG-AKL (same ticket) accrued full C class on both sectors even though booked in Z class as part of a RTW ticket (CRWSTAR2 fare)
2. PVG-AKL accrued A class even though booked in D class - was part of a LH fare (AFFNZ). I had to get NZ to manually correct this
3. AKL-SIN and LHR-AKL (same ticket) accrued full C class on both sectors even though booked in Z class as part of a RTW ticket (CRWSPCL fare)
4. AKL-LAX earned at Z class rates even though booked into J class on a LX ticket (ZRFNZ)
5. SFO-AKL earned 0AP but 28SP at F class level even though booked into C class on a FRWSTAR1 fare - had to get this manually adjusted by NZ
6. SIN-AKL (SQ code but NZ metal) earned U class rate even though it is business class (U fare basis on SQ). No idea what it mapped to on NZ but they gave me J class points.

Based on my very limited sample above, it may pay for everybody to check that they are earning the correct points especially if they've traveled on an other-airline fare...
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:16 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Most of the examples you give are NZ flights on other airline ticket. May be a bug with that particular scenario.

Over the years I've had many instances where fare & booking class codes do not align and crediting seemed to be correct (off booking class).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.