Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Confused: Technical Airpoints Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Confused: Technical Airpoints Question

Hi all,

I am confused by an email conversation I have had with Airpoints (this was in follow up to another issue they were helping me with).

I booked three individual legs (NOT as a connecting flight) yet have been credited as only two, they show it as a connection. i am confused by their answer (not saying its wrong, i just dont get it). So is it correct that if you book a multi journey they credit it as one leg?

My routing was CHC-WEL (meeting in Wellington) WEL-AKL (meeting in Auckland) AKL-CHC. So three legs earning should earn three lots of points right? All on separate flights.

Correspondence as follows:

Dear Air NZ Rep
Also, could you please look into the earning on a flight I took on Friday, itinerary attached.

I booked a multistop to attend a meeting in Wellington and then Auckland, back the same day to Christchurch.

However, weirdly the two legs CHC-WEL and WEL-AKL have credited as a single flight, which on the face of it seems incorrect.

Thanks
Oranjemakker

Air NZ Reply

Dear Oranjemakker

Thank you for your reply.

I have reviewed your recent accruals from Christchurch to Auckland and I can confirm that you have accrued the correct amount of Airpoints Dollars and Status Points. Flights are calculated from Origin to Destination based on a one way journey, therefore you have accrued it as a Christchurch to Auckland journey.

This is also calculated using the booking class of travel for the sector in which has the greatest distance. As Wellington to Auckland is the greater sector, this has been calculated using the booking class 'Q':
Old Aug 31, 2015, 3:52 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
Multi-city all on 1 PNR or 3 one-ways all on separate PNRs?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Yeah I have had similar experiences and they claimed it was allowable under the "journey" clause. This was an international trip, using LAX as a stopover. It was the decision that made me not renew GE, needed those US flights to retain, and I began the slide down to just Jade, over a 7 year period, as I stayed away from NZ and *A.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
If you book any two flights on NZ on the same day in the same direction on the same ticket, NZ treat is as one flight from start to end. It is stupid, but they have been doing that for ages.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite; QF Platinum; CZ Gold; MU Platinum; Marriott Titanium; Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by pbl22
If you book any two flights on NZ on the same day in the same direction on the same ticket, NZ treat is as one flight from start to end. It is stupid, but they have been doing that for ages.
So I should have booked different PNRs...or with the new earning system based on spend, does it matter?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 9:03 pm

Yes, always book as separate tickets (all else being equal, such as cost, etc).
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
Originally Posted by pbl22
Yes, always book as separate tickets (all else being equal, such as cost, etc).
So an AKL->WLG->CHC->ZQN->CHC->WLG->AKL (all in 1 day)( say 6 legs*8 (48 SP) at the mininum) would only give me SP for AKL->ZQN->AKL? (say 12*2 Legs (24 SP))?
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by Craig Whitmore
So an AKL->WLG->CHC->ZQN->CHC->WLG->AKL (all in 1 day)( say 6 legs*8 (48 SP) at the mininum) would only give me SP for AKL->ZQN->AKL? (say 12*2 Legs (24 SP))?
If all on one ticket and NZ deem the total fare you paid to be worth 12SP for AKL-ZQN, then that is exactly what you will get.

If, though, you were able to get a flight going AKL-CHC-WLG-ZQN-WLG-CHC-AKL, then it would SPs for each leg.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by oranjemakker
So I should have booked different PNRs...or with the new earning system based on spend, does it matter?
This did not always work either.

When I was chasing Airpoints status I occasionally found some thing like a CHC-WLG and WLG-AKL would credit as such then a few days later all I would see is a single credit for CHC-AKL.

Since I could not count on such crediting, I avoided routings that could have the 'journey' concept applied.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:02 pm

Programs: NZ*S
I wonder if only linking your airpoints number to one of those flights, then manually claiming the other flight a few weeks later would get around that? Bit of a hassle, but if its the difference between retaining or dropping a tier..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.