Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

YVR / AKL with family: Elite APD Upgrade vs Oneup?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G

Hi there
Long time reader, first time poster.

We are flying Akl/Yvr/Akl on NZ23/24 in the next fortnight (me and my spouse, and our 1 y o).

While the trip is unlikely to be a cakewalk, I figure PE might be more comfortable than economy (although I am guessing we can probably get an empty middle seat on check in, load permitting - the premium desk staff have helped us with is before)

I am NZG and was going to use RUs each way to seek Y -> PE; will either lodge one ups for my spouse or ask a GE friend to request Elite APD upgrades for my spouse (no status). What do you think is the better option?

I realise our chances of getting two upgrades in each flight are slim... We would however prefer to sit together so it's possible we would opt for economy rather than me in Y with baby and spouse in PE...

Also, am I right that in PE on th refit 777-2 the armrests cannot be lifted up? (Not sure if we will get new or old 777-2).

Suggestions and comment welcome - thanks in advance!
Old Jul 27, 2015, 1:15 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Elite standby upgrades are always a better option than a OneUp as they will clear right up until the gate and have higher priority. The disadvantage as *G is that you could easily get a OneUp clear for a lot less than the standby upgrade price.

I'm pretty sure somebody told me the new PE armrests don't fold up. The old non refit PE armrests don't either.

If you are lodging separate upgrades which may not be cleared at the same time there is no guarantee of sitting together, but the blocked out seats saved for airport control are typically for such scenarios.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Elite standby upgrades are always a better option than a OneUp as they will clear right up until the gate and have higher priority. The disadvantage as *G is that you could easily get a OneUp clear for a lot less than the standby upgrade price.
I would always opt for Elite Standby Upgrade over OneUps for that exact reason: higher priority over OneUps. Not sure if you will get it clear for a lot less however, especially on the North American routes where the premium cabins are often packed with actual revenue pax anyways. Guess it's always a case of YMMV.

I'm pretty sure somebody told me the new PE armrests don't fold up. The old non refit PE armrests don't either.
On the window pair of 2's on the 789 and 77R they definitely won't fold up, as that's where the tray tables located!

Not sure if the middle set of 4 on the 77R, you can "fold up" 2 of them, but I would assume not.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
While half asleep posting my reply I didn't think of doing an image search.

The inner seats are the same config with the tray table in the armrest.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
While half asleep posting my reply I didn't think of doing an image search.

The inner seats are the same config with the tray table in the armrest.
That photo was taken by myself on a recent trip (TT AKL-SYD), doubt it will show up if you Google that.... then again, Google knows all...
Old Jul 28, 2015, 4:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G
Thanks both for the helpful replies. So am I right to think the gifted Elite APD upgrades for my spouse will clear ahead of one ups even if she has no current Air NZ status? (I am thinking if the Elite standby upgrades are approved but my RUs are declined then we migh be in an awkward spot.)

Out of interest, reckon I could look to use my RU once the Elite APD upgrade came through for PE to get a J seat for my spouse? I know my odds aren't good but that might be another solution.

Thanks again
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by Aotea
Thanks both for the helpful replies. So am I right to think the gifted Elite APD upgrades for my spouse will clear ahead of one ups even if she has no current Air NZ status? (I am thinking if the Elite standby upgrades are approved but my RUs are declined then we migh be in an awkward spot.)

Out of interest, reckon I could look to use my RU once the Elite APD upgrade came through for PE to get a J seat for my spouse? I know my odds aren't good but that might be another solution.

Thanks again
I assume she is on the same PNR as you? In which case the gifted Elite APD will be assessed/cleared at the same time as your RU as you're NZ*G - i.e. ~6 days out, so before OneUp bids are looked at. (Speaking from experience as I travelled with a friend earlier in the year, same PNR, got someone to help lodge Elite APD upgrade request for both, I'm *G and him lowly Jade. Both cleared at the same time at T-7d from departure)

And AFAIK you wouldn't be able to then stack RU on top of the Elite APD upgrade, plus you cannot gift your RU to your spouse (gifting RUs), only Elites have the ability to do so, not NZ*G.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 5:02 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
And US$25 gets you in the LH business lounge in FRA/MUC if you are in Y+.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I flew YVR to AKL less than a month ago and my standby cleared ahead of RU (I am NZ*E) of other NZE that I knew and tried it .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.