Wiki Posts
Search

YVR to AKL with Starpoints?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold
YVR to AKL with Starpoints?

I have been researching this for a while and find Air Points confusing so I thought I would just ask the community here. Is it realistic/possible to transfer points from SPG Starpoints to Air Points and fly return from YVR to AKL preferably in business class? We are flexible with our dates preferably January to March.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Well it's 65 Starpoints to 1 Airpoints Dollar. 1 APD is worth $1NZD. So you need to have the equivalent amount of Airpoints Dollars as the fare you want. So for example, taking random dates in April 2016, 2x J return YVR-AKL is CAD$13,400 which would mean you'd need $13,400 airpoints dollars which equates to 871,000 Starpoints (this amount will differ based on the exchange rate as I haven't taken that into account). And you can only transfer a maximum of 34,975 Starpoints to Air NZ in one transaction (not sure if you can do multiple transactions or not).

So if you can transfer that many Starpoints then it's certainly possible and realistic if you have that many....whether that is worth it...
Old Jul 10, 2015, 8:31 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
If you really had 871,000 Starpoints you could turn them into more than a million Aeroplan points or half a million UA miles.

Half a million UA miles means you can travel from North America to Australia in Business roughly 8 times one-way.

Closer to home, 871,000 Starpoints can also be converted to more than 1 million VA Velocity points. That's enough to fly VA in Business from Australia to LAX more than 10 times one way.

You see why Airpoints is such a joke?

Last edited by Xiaotung; Jul 10, 2015 at 8:41 am
Old Jul 10, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
You're in a real catch 22, unfortunately, if you really want to fly YVR-AKL nonstop.

There are many Star Alliance frequent flyer programs which provide good value redemption opportunities across the alliance, but AirNZ just doesn't release *any* business class award seats on its North American routes anymore to its Star Alliance partners (and yes, that's a crappy way to behave).

NZ Airpoints is the worst value frequent flyer program in the world, but it does allow you to buy revenue seats at a huge cost.

I'd suggest you either:
1) transfer points to another FFP like UA Mileage Plus, and use that to redeem flights on another, one-stop routing
2) pay for flights with cash, and save your pile of Starpoints for another occasion.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold
Thanks for all your feedback. It was such a bad deal that I thought maybe I was missing something.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tugg1
Thanks for all your feedback. It was such a bad deal that I thought maybe I was missing something.
You were not missing anything

Originally Posted by mad_atta
....NZ Airpoints is the worst value frequent flyer program in the world, but it does allow you to buy revenue seats at a huge cost....
Old Jul 12, 2015, 6:25 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
If you really had 871,000 Starpoints you could turn them into more than a million Aeroplan points or half a million UA miles.

Half a million UA miles means you can travel from North America to Australia in Business roughly 8 times one-way.

Closer to home, 871,000 Starpoints can also be converted to more than 1 million VA Velocity points. That's enough to fly VA in Business from Australia to LAX more than 10 times one way.

You see why Airpoints is such a joke?
Or 1:1 to AA (don't know what the exchange rate for AsiaMiles is) and use for CX thru HKG to AKL...a great ride for under 150K RT
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
And if there's an option to convert to AS's programme, it's even fewer miles. Just burned some AS miles to fly to NY on Cathay in business class via HKG. AKL HKG is very nice on the A340; HKG JFK (or YVR) is bloody marvellous!

Originally Posted by luckypierre
Or 1:1 to AA (don't know what the exchange rate for AsiaMiles is) and use for CX thru HKG to AKL...a great ride for under 150K RT
Old Jul 20, 2015, 2:09 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by jawnbc
And if there's an option to convert to AS's programme, it's even fewer miles. Just burned some AS miles to fly to NY on Cathay in business class via HKG. AKL HKG is very nice on the A340; HKG JFK (or YVR) is bloody marvellous!
FWIW, as the previous poster noted, Alaska Airlines program right now is the most flexible "currency" in the frequent flyer market, at least in North America. They signed agreements with many carriers, not just a particular alliance.

UA is 2:1 exchange rate per Starpoint.

With the amount of Starpoints you have accumulated, you could establish an account and fund it with a big start. I dont know what their attitude is towards accounts that are created and without other activity, suddenly receive an influx of points/miles. I haven't heard any complaints about restrictions on the source of miles initially.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.