Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ vs. UA LHR-LAX-LHR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 4:39 am
Original Poster

NZ vs. UA LHR-LAX-LHR

Every time I fly UA to the USA I dread the experience, but end up booking anyway due to the generous mileage accrual. I need to fly to LAX and am considering NZ, but it would appear from some reviews I have seen that I might be in for an even more dreadful experience in the 10 across 777 (Economy).

Haven't flown NZ, so how does the experience compare? On UA I know that I will get a decent amount of space, but likely poor service, surly FA's, mediocre IFE, and a meal that I might be able to eat. If the loads are usually light on NZ LHR-LAX, that might negate some of my space concerns.

Last edited by VivoPerLei; Jul 9, 2015 at 4:45 am
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Are you only considering economy?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
I for one, would highly recommend. Although, personally, I have never been one too bothered by the space issue. NZ usually has pretty stellar service, nice food and booze, and good ife. Also, from LAX, the lounge is 1000X better than the United Club. (Not that that should make your decision, but if you haven't been, worth a visit for sure) But I would say for the food and booze and overall pleasantness, I would choose NZ every time. Also, depending on budget, you can always try to upgrade to Premium via their OneUp process. (Though I admittedly don't know what they are charging these days, as when I go, I nearly always go for Premium economy, because I really love their space seat.)
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Are you only considering economy?
Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar
I for one, would highly recommend. Although, personally, I have never been one too bothered by the space issue. NZ usually has pretty stellar service, nice food and booze, and good ife. Also, from LAX, the lounge is 1000X better than the United Club. (Not that that should make your decision, but if you haven't been, worth a visit for sure) But I would say for the food and booze and overall pleasantness, I would choose NZ every time. Also, depending on budget, you can always try to upgrade to Premium via their OneUp process. (Though I admittedly don't know what they are charging these days, as when I go, I nearly always go for Premium economy, because I really love their space seat.)
Thanks for the replies - yes economy only. Currently the fare is a very reasonable Ł500 RT. Premium economy jumps to Ł1200, so can't really justify that. Sounds positive on the pleasantness scale, so maybe I'll take the plunge
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Economy on the 77W with 3-4-3 seating is a very poor experience, but the rest of the Air NZ experience does go some way to make up for this.

I believe it's money well spent buying an exit row seat if you're sitting in economy just for the extra legroom.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:25 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
You mentioned mileage accrual as a reason for flying UA initially... so do be aware that many of NZ's cheaper economy fare classes earn nothing at all to other Star Alliance programs.

Still not a good reason to fly UA in coach, though!
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: A3, BA, OZ,
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Does such a thing exist?
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_atta
You mentioned mileage accrual as a reason for flying UA initially... so do be aware that many of NZ's cheaper economy fare classes earn nothing at all to other Star Alliance programs.

Yep - I have a spreadsheet on my desk with the earnings for all *A carriers, just so I don't make that mistake. NZ T would earn me 50% on TK, if I read it correctly. UA would be 75%
Old Jul 10, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
I travel the same route periodically, and for me I'll do NZ if I can get exit row seats because it is superior to United in every way, except space. Of course on United it is economy plus or not at all, which makes it better than NZ in seat width and pitch, but yes the service, food/drink, IFE (and lounges) are all a step behind NZ.

Having said that I almost always go PE on the LAX-LHR segment, and sometimes it is quite affordable especially if you have a Saturday stay. To be fair, my last trip on this route was on BA in PE because it was around the same as UA in economy on the days I was travelling.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL Silver, NZ, VS, HH, IHG Gold, Marriott, Hertz 5*
We are American expats living in the UK.

NZ economy has better food and far better service. The crews are usually UK based. Call centre is better too.

IFE has good choices. But the latest software update is slow to respond. Econ is 10 across. An issue if the person next to you is wide. Our summer flights have been mostly full. There will be children, especially in the skycouch rows.

And you can get miles on UA. Be sure to check that your fare qualifies for miles. Not sure if all fare buckets get UA miles.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 7:49 pm

Programs: NZ *G
I go to US and then continue on my round the world trip every 3 months lately, with many times changing the carrier. Several times I had the displeasure to fly UA - for the love of God, don't do that to yourself - go NZ. Would you rather earn a bit of extra miles on UA, but suffer physical and mental pain or have a pleasant flight? I know who I'd pick.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.