Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

How best to achieve a seat swap between cabin class??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum

Dodgy I know.

Dads deciding if he'll come with me to MEL later. He doesn't really fly.

Currently I'm booked into "PE" and flying before these October changes.
I can't book dad into PE as it's off the screen for July. So I'll book him in economy but then I'd like to swap seats with him. Plus it's a cheaper option.

Return leg I'm in economy but am thinking of putting in an APD upgrade to business then booking dad in economy and swapping seats with him again.

I love my dad but don't fancy sitting next to him and listening to his "worldly advice" or ramblings about current affairs. On a plane I'll be stuck. in a hotel I can at least leave the room

All jokes aside I'm sure we'll survive the flight without talking to each other, but it's his birthday around then and I'd just like to do something different/nice for him.

I don't think I will be calling the premium team about this one. I'm hoping we can switch after take off if I ask the FA nicely??

It's breaking rules I'm sure, but prefer not to hear the lectures. Anyone else been dodgy like this before?

Edit: Didn't see works deluxe or PE availability either and thought it wasn't showing due to recent changes but called up and turns out it's sold out on out and inbound sectors. Asked if could redirect the short haul upgrade from another flight to dad and I can but the class to clear it isn't available on in or outbound so would be a wait and see at airport. In theory that should rule out the one up option if RUs should clear prior to one up, and ahead of APD upgrade.

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Jun 29, 2015 at 1:04 am Reason: Had more ideas...maybe more will come?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You be better as ask on the aircraft as you are boarding and before you sit.
Swapping during flight will be dodgy and probably frowned upon.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 1:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Can't you just swap boarding passes in the jetway? If a FA notices the name on the manifest, would it be obvious that either of you is not the other one? Do both of you appear to be of the same gender if either one has a gender-specific first name?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
You be better as ask on the aircraft as you are boarding and before you sit.
Swapping during flight will be dodgy and probably frowned upon.
Good point. I forgot about the onlookers. Maybe we'll try to board last so we don't hold up the flow of passengers and can ask a bit more discretely.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can't you just swap boarding passes in the jetway? If a FA notices the name on the manifest, would it be obvious that either of you is not the other one? Do both of you appear to be of the same gender if either one has a gender-specific first name?
That would be perfect if it was mum (she can no longer travel), but I'm his daughter and I don't think he'd pass for my name.

Trying to crunch some APD numbers to cover one way. Have some flights before the MEL flight but suspect the price would go up closer the date and the newly accrued APD still wouldn't cover. Will see if they let me recall an APD upgrade to contribute.

Another idea, what if I paid for the fare difference of me in business one way and still asked to swap? Would they be more amenable to that as they still get a full fare vs it being an APD upgrade (which doesn't sound like I'll be able to do that) but then the only dodgy part is that I would get the SP and APD (dad doesn't need them) but air nz gets a full fare still? Although that would be crap if they said no.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ *E
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Good point. I forgot about the onlookers. Maybe we'll try to board last so we don't hold up the flow of passengers and can ask a bit more discretely.

That would be perfect if it was mum (she can no longer travel), but I'm his daughter and I don't think he'd pass for my name.

Trying to crunch some APD numbers to cover one way. Have some flights before the MEL flight but suspect the price would go up closer the date and the newly accrued APD still wouldn't cover. Will see if they let me recall an APD upgrade to contribute.

Another idea, what if I paid for the fare difference of me in business one way and still asked to swap? Would they be more amenable to that as they still get a full fare vs it being an APD upgrade (which doesn't sound like I'll be able to do that) but then the only dodgy part is that I would get the SP and APD (dad doesn't need them) but air nz gets a full fare still? Although that would be crap if they said no.
Coming back from MEL ~ 3 weeks ago they were checking everyone's passport at the gate, so going a quick switch on the jetbrige seems a bit dodgy.

How old is your dad? You could tell a white lie and say he's feeling a pit poorly at the gate or as you board, and would like to swap. I think that would likely be best. (though he might get looked at oddly if he askes for more champagne in J.).

I wouldn't just swap seats, particularly in to J as it might be a little embarrassing for him if he is confronted, while your are down the back of the plane.

If you don't ask there is a very good chance that they will notice in J given they have list of customers, not infrequently (and somewhat annoyingly often shake customers hands individually at the end of the flight)
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
Originally Posted by wackyflyer
Coming back from MEL ~ 3 weeks ago they were checking everyone's passport at the gate, so going a quick switch on the jetbrige seems a bit dodgy.

How old is your dad? You could tell a white lie and say he's feeling a pit poorly at the gate or as you board, and would like to swap. I think that would likely be best. (though he might get looked at oddly if he askes for more champagne in J.).

I wouldn't just swap seats, particularly in to J as it might be a little embarrassing for him if he is confronted, while your are down the back of the plane.

If you don't ask there is a very good chance that they will notice in J given they have list of customers, not infrequently (and somewhat annoyingly often shake customers hands individually at the end of the flight)
I'd be careful with that. I once was not feeling well in in international Koru Lounge, they called onsite paramedics, who then called St John's, who then took me to hospital. Despite all of them finding nothing wrong; they were very risk adverse.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: NZ GE, QF
I think honesty is the best approach, just simply ask the FSM when boarding the plane. They are very likely to say yes because it's a nice thing to do for your Dad. I've done it once giving my wife the business class seat many years ago, not a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.