Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ to begin IAH flights

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 6:27 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I asked a few days ago and it's still "May".

I'm holding off booking flights to Vegas for January for CES because I'm keen to travel one way via IAH just because I've never been to Texas before.
I hope for a stopover, because the airport is "meh" at best. And Houston is a concrete jungle of highways, not very scenic.

CES is a lot of fun though. Bring walking shoes.
Old May 18, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by saaveraward
I hope for a stopover, because the airport is "meh" at best.
But definitely much better to transit here than at LAX. Plus two of the United clubs have showers. ^
Old May 19, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I'd rate IAH as one of the very best US airports I've been to. OK, it's a low bar, but still.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Book Houston and beyond - on sale now.

email just in.
HOWDY Mr Blackcloud

Start practicing your southern drawl because Air New Zealand will be flying direct from Auckland to Houston, Texas - the gateway to the Southern States of America.

Experience incredible food, buzzing nightlife and a space centre that's out of this world! From Houston head to the birthplace of Jazz, New Orleans, or the beautiful sunshine state of Florida. It's also a great new way to get to your all-time American favourites - New York, Boston or Chicago.

Check out our awesome deals, valid for travel from 20 January 2016.

Hurry, sale ends midnight 8 June 2015.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:37 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
email just in.
On the US website flights are now being sold for travel starting December 15.

http://www.airnewzealand.com/flights...d-from-houston
Old May 19, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
I wonder if the premium cabins are blocked out for VIPs for the inaugural flight. I noticed no premium cabin seats were available for for the inaugural EZE flight either.
Old May 19, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Pricing isn't too bad..

I'm picking I'd have a better chance of an upgrade clearing flying there in early Jan than flying via SFO/LAX which are both incredibly busy around Xmas / NY.
Old May 19, 2015, 5:35 pm

not a single seat in the UA system on awards. They said NZ inventory is only in the system through November.
Old May 20, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
I hope for a stopover, because the airport is "meh" at best. And Houston is a concrete jungle of highways, not very scenic.

CES is a lot of fun though. Bring walking shoes.
Completely agreed! Houston is a very bland and boring city in my opinion. If you do end up going, i would suggest getting out of Houston for a bit. San Antonio & Austin are both great cities, and only a few hours drive away. Big Bend National Park is also worthwhile visiting.
Old May 24, 2015, 4:43 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I've just spoken to Air NZ and they can book me a single ticket to connect me to LAS via IAH for the same price as via SFO or LAX.

As I've always wanted to go to the Houston Space Center I might do this.. Is there anything else to do or anything positive anybody has to say about Houston?
Old May 24, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by sbiddle
I've just spoken to Air NZ and they can book me a single ticket to connect me to LAS via IAH for the same price as via SFO or LAX.

As I've always wanted to go to the Houston Space Center I might do this.. Is there anything else to do or anything positive anybody has to say about Houston?
I took the family three years ago. Lots of shopping, unfortunately. Space Center was excellent. Went for a drive out to Galveston way and north on the coast. Driving around the ritzier areas looking at some of the mansions was OK. Lots of sports stadia if you want to catch a game. We were staying right next to the convention centre and Starbucks was having a massive employee conference, with lots of entertainment, so we gatecrashed that one night.

But not really a huge amount to do.
Old May 25, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Balmy weather in winter is nice; in summer however it's a stinking hot humid mess. There's good eating and shopping and nightlife to be found, in the same way you'll find in any large and prosperous US city. Not a weather delay-prone airport (and generally a pretty functional and user-friendly airport by US standard). And reasonable proximity to Austin/Texas Hill Country/San Antonio/Big Bend, all of which are worth a visit.

Overall, though, I find it a dull and characterless place. Not unpleasant, just a bit soulless.
Old May 26, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
The Houston region is experiencing significant flooding at the moment ...
Old May 27, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: Avianca Brazil Diamond, Etihad Gold, Southwest CC Pass, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
not a single seat in the UA system on awards. They said NZ inventory is only in the system through November.
Hopefully they add NZ inventory past November soon, would really like to book an award on this route.

Is this route available on the NZ site as an award? I am not familiar with their award booking process
Old May 27, 2015, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by serfty
The Houston region is experiencing significant flooding at the moment ...
Yeah, large areas of central and southeast Texas are dealing with flooding of historic proportions, a 30-100 year event in many places. One river south of Austin here hits flood stage at 13 feet; it reached almost 40 feet high. The major street through part of downtown Austin heavily flooded as well. Lots of damage, and unfortunately loss of life in some towns to the south.

Though I definitely agree with mad_atta, Houston is a bland, boring, highly congested place. I also personally think IAH is a really mediocre airport. Enjoy IAH's connecting options and come somewhere better like Austin .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.