NZ to begin IAH flights

Old Apr 20, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
It wouldn't surprise me to see the Spaceseat eventually dumped on the 77W and replaced with the new PE seat due to the fact it's disliked by so many people, and the economics of it. The economics of the Spaceseat changed literally the week after the first 77W sent into service and they had to rip an entire row out because the seats were so tight.
I agree.

I do think an issue though is figuring out the P.R. on it because how do you sell to the public the removal of your much touted product that you keep entering into and winning awards for?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by evanaggie
I looked it up on Seatguru and it appears to be less space and worse seating compared to the 773 PE configuration.
I have to admit that I never place any reliance on Seatguru's information.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:29 pm

Well, count me in the group that likes the space seats.

I slept well on both flights, and I find the amount of personal space you get extremely generous. The wedge in the middle section is an awesome perk...tons of space under it and in front of it in between pax.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by evanaggie
Well, count me in the group that likes the space seats.

I slept well on both flights, and I find the amount of personal space you get extremely generous. The wedge in the middle section is an awesome perk...tons of space under it and in front of it in between pax.

I've wondered if the love/hate has anything to do with a person's height. I love the seat (I'm 5'8"), my boss (6'4") was not impressed. I can see how a tall person might prefer being able to stretch the legs under the seat in front, which you cannot do with the SpaceSeat. But as a shorter individual (but not so short that it is uncomfortable), I can stretch my legs out quite nicely.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by SeaProf
I've wondered if the love/hate has anything to do with a person's height. I love the seat (I'm 5'8"), my boss (6'4") was not impressed. I can see how a tall person might prefer being able to stretch the legs under the seat in front, which you cannot do with the SpaceSeat. But as a shorter individual (but not so short that it is uncomfortable), I can stretch my legs out quite nicely.
I'm 5.11" (1.8m) and rather like the Spaceseat. Managed to sleep better in it compared to the new-gen "Business-lite" PE offerings, or in Domestic First on UA (when flying trans-con).

That said, still doesn't beat the times when load's so light in Y, manage to snag an entire row of 3 to create a poor-man's flat bed for an overnight trans-pacific flight.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 10:16 pm

I'm 5'10.5" fwiw. 6'4" is taller than 98.4% of the population. I don't think airlines design seats with 6'4" in mind, although I'm sure folks would fit.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 4:05 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I'm 5'7" and hate the Spaceseat.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I am 6' and have flown the space seat (long haul) once - and with the beanbag and a small backpack stuffed in the cavity as well as the pillow placed where seat and backrest join, I was able to get some decent sleep - I found it's a matter of getting the tilt right.

I have one more such flight in June as I burn my last ever *E RU.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I am 6' and have flown the space seat (long haul) once - and with the beanbag and a small backpack stuffed in the cavity as well as the pillow placed where seat and backrest join, I was able to get some decent sleep - I found it's a matter of getting the tilt right.

I have one more such flight in June as I burn my last ever *E RU.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 9:25 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Me too. Might enjoy on the daylight LHR-LAX segment, for an overnight flight it's clearly designed to torture we leprechauns (I'm 5'6")

Originally Posted by pbl22
I'm 5'7" and hate the Spaceseat.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 7:57 am

Well, NZ must certainly like the new PE seating. They can fit 2 more seats per row which should make them more money.
Old May 6, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: Honors/IHG Diamond
Is there any update as to when this will go on sale besides "May?"
Old May 7, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
I'm around your height, more 5'7" side and really like the space seat, partner is more 6'2" and also likes the space seat. He has not tried the other PE seat though. We've been on the outties but yet to try the innies (complicated by the fact I like the views from windows when available)

I am earmarking the Houston route to get to the Galpagos Islands via air nz/UA and aiming for buenos aires to get to Antarctica. I think air nz are doing well to get into these routes and am looking to take full advantage although time will tell whether their choices are good or not. I wish them luck.
Old May 18, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by saaveraward
Is there any update as to when this will go on sale besides "May?"
Still no word on when IAH goes on sale eh?
Old May 18, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by johnnyfive
Still no word on when IAH goes on sale eh?
I asked a few days ago and it's still "May".

I'm holding off booking flights to Vegas for January for CES because I'm keen to travel one way via IAH just because I've never been to Texas before.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.