Wiki Posts
Search

AirNZ SP Run

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G,Accor-Gold
AirNZ SP Run

Whats the Minimum Time I need between Domestic Flights (and be safe)

I am looking at a SP run. Would an Hour between landing and taking off be good enough. (No luggage).

If I book a multibooking (ie AKL-WLG-CHC-ZQN-CHC-WLG-AKL over just 1 day and one of the flights is delayed and I miss all the rest of them can I be compensated? Or do I need the specific airnz insurance?

Does AirNZ look at you strange when your ticket says the above route?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Do they still have that rule, we're they look at you start & end point of the journey (and not the in between) if its all on the same day?
Old Apr 11, 2015, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Yes, 1 hours will be fine in terms of minimum connection times.

What happens for SP earning and delays may depend on how it is booked. By that I mean if the booking is AKL-ZQN (via WLG and CHC) then SP earning will differ to if it is booked as a multi-sector trip.

I did something similar with AKL-CHC-AKL via WLG each way hoping to harvest SPs as if each sector AKL-WLG-CHC-WLG-AKL was booked separately. That didn't work (fair enough), but when the WLG-CHC flight was delayed, that required a change at CHC to a direct CHC-AKL flight.

Some discussion on this back in 2010 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...technical.html

Edited to add. Nope, AirNZ are happy for you to be flying. Most FAs have met folk doing SP/Mileage runs, although perhaps fewer these days with the rarity of the $1 GAS.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 6:06 am
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
AirNZ SP Run

For smaller airports where the inbound aircraft is the same as for outbound you will need to make two one way bookings.

Ground staff & crew do find it amusing at times when they find out what you are doing.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
How many points will you get for that and how much will it cost? There are plenty of other flights that would probably offer better SP earn for less money.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

I found a few days so far down to around $7/SP (on average for the entire trip) all using cheap flights. Yes I could go Auckland and Wellington a few times in a day also a little cheaper. Remember the min is 8 sp per flight so getting 29/49/59 etc flights can add up quite well.

I need an XML of flight costs and then I could automate all this really easily.

Bring back the $1 flights.

Can you suggest flights which would give good SP/$. As far as I can tell domestic flights are the best.

Last edited by Craig Whitmore; Apr 11, 2015 at 10:05 pm
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Craig Whitmore
Can you suggest flights which would give good SP/$. As far as I can tell domestic flights are the best.
I find short-haul international Business class sale fares offer surprisingly good SP/$ (TT/Islands), generally works out to $7-$9/SP, occasionally as low as $6/SP.
Compared the above with the very poor $12+/SP on Economy, sometimes as bad as $15/SP!

Booked a AKL-PER J return a few weeks ago, works out to just under $8/SP.

Haven't been to Perth, got a fair amount of friends I want to catch-up/visit, haven't tried J product on 789, so just convenient that I needed to do a Status Run.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 11:14 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
Originally Posted by Kamadan
I find short-haul international Business class sale fares offer surprisingly good SP/$ (TT/Islands), generally works out to $7-$9/SP, occasionally as low as $6/SP.
Compared the above with the very poor $12+/SP on Economy, sometimes as bad as $15/SP!

Booked a AKL-PER J return a few weeks ago, works out to just under $8/SP.

Haven't been to Perth, got a fair amount of friends I want to catch-up/visit, haven't tried J product on 789, so just convenient that I needed to do a Status Run.
We just did AKL-PER-CHC in J on 789 and 767 over Easter which worked out to just over $7/SP,wasn't that sold on the Dreamliner seat( wife's 1st comment was wow this feels a lot narrower than the other planes) and crew TBH, the 767 crew were an absolute class act tho
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:18 am

I found a few days so far down to around $7/SP (on average for the entire trip) all using cheap flights. Yes I could go Auckland and Wellington a few times in a day also a little cheaper. Remember the min is 8 sp per flight so getting 29/49/59 etc flights can add up quite well.
Thats crazy my upcoming AKL-MEL $189 Seat Only fare, is only get 7SP and 1APD.

So thats around $27/SP!
Old Apr 12, 2015, 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk

So thats around $27/SP!
Remember SP earn is exclusive of tax. I'm not sure of the current tax ex AKL but it will be somewhere around $90 or so.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

So thats around $27/SP!
You can fly from Auckland to Wellington for $29 and get 8 SP. I presume you are not on NZ Metal for your flight.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:02 pm

You can fly from Auckland to Wellington for $29 and get 8 SP. I presume you are not on NZ Metal for your flight.
Nope I'm booked on NZ123 ticketed by NZ! e-Ticket is showing the booking class as being S.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Nope I'm booked on NZ123 ticketed by NZ! e-Ticket is showing the booking class as being S.
having just been through a few of the fare class options on the advances search for SP earn, it seems you are on the cheapest deal possible (Seat fare in S booking class).

For NZ123 AKL-MEL

Seat Y 16APD 81SP
Seat H 8APD 41SP
Seat Q 6APD 33SP
Seat V 6APD 28SP
Seat G 5APD 26SP
Seat T 4APD 21SP
Seat L 3APD 18SP
Seat F 0APD 8SP (grabaseat)
Seat P 2APD 9SP
Seat S 1APD 7SP
Old Apr 12, 2015, 4:49 pm

It's NZ$60.34 in tax for a AKL-SYD flight, so fare cost (that SP is based on) is roughly $127 for the 8 SP earn.

It does show up the glaring point that SP accrual is not directly linked to revenue, despite Air NZ claiming it is. It's much like domestic flights where A/C type and destination will affect SP earn, rather than just the cost of the airfare.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 5:54 pm

Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
having just been through a few of the fare class options on the advances search for SP earn, it seems you are on the cheapest deal possible (Seat fare in S booking class).

For NZ123 AKL-MEL

Seat Y 16APD 81SP
Seat H 8APD 41SP
Seat Q 6APD 33SP
Seat V 6APD 28SP
Seat G 5APD 26SP
Seat T 4APD 21SP
Seat L 3APD 18SP
Seat F 0APD 8SP (grabaseat)
Seat P 2APD 9SP
Seat S 1APD 7SP
the crazy thing is 6 months ago you could get 30SP from an P fare!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.