Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Westpac bumps BNZ as Air NZ points partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westpac bumps BNZ as Air NZ points partner

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:23 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Putting aside the fact that you're burning cash to earn the points on mileage runs (rather than routing other spend through an SP earning card) the last thing I can be bothered doing is wasting a day flying back and forth destinations for multiples of 8 SPs. I fly enough for work and to get places I need to go than to waste time flying when i'd rather be at home.
+1
Fair enough and I can sympathise with this viewpoint but, somewhat tongue in cheek, isn't this a major part of the ethos of FlyerTalk - flying for the sheer love of it?
Old Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
I just find it annoying when paying off the credit card to avoid interest that I look back and there's another item that pops up! I know the large ones off the top of my head but still....
I don't like the way ANZ shows their online transactions either where current balance always includes those that haven't posted to statement yet. It can't be confusing as to what the closing balance of last statement actually is.

At least New Zealand banks have not adopted the way Australian banks charge interest where if you don't pay the full closing balance you will forfeit any of your interest free period including those that you have paid.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 5:50 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by pbl22
Fair enough and I can sympathise with this viewpoint but, somewhat tongue in cheek, isn't this a major part of the ethos of FlyerTalk - flying for the sheer love of it?
I think love goes out the window when you've taken over 50 flights in a year. Admittedly I'm a bit jaded from flying but lets not forget that "flying for the sheer love of it" is probably a relative phrase. Would I prefer to fly than do housework? Probably yes. Would I rather play with my dog or binge watch The Blacklist than go flying? You betcha!

Of course there are certain things I enjoy otherwise I wouldn't be here.

I think FT extends quite a bit beyond 'love of flying' given the various forums. I see FT as more of an information/discussion site.

Sometimes you just want to know how to get around a problem. On signing up to Airpoints I didn't exactly go through the terms and conditions of the programme, nor koru. (Hence I slapped myself on discovering that you lose your RU when you go up a tier if it's not been used). Sometimes information isn't on the airline websites but an individual here on FT has encountered the same issue I'm having or there are new things popping up which are useful for me. eg the Westpac cc. For me, this is the real value of this site. And I find others experiences and views intriguing and informative.

This thread has made me apply for the westpac credit card. Well.. I might have done a bit of homework too but certainly initiated by this thread. The punch line really being that it's going to separate business from personal nicely while still earning APD/SP from both expenses. I'm not a fan of changing finances around unless it's beneficial but I really hope Air NZ don't do any more banking type stuff again this year, or for the next few years!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I don't like the way ANZ shows their online transactions either where current balance always includes those that haven't posted to statement yet. It can't be confusing as to what the closing balance of last statement actually is.

At least New Zealand banks have not adopted the way Australian banks charge interest where if you don't pay the full closing balance you will forfeit any of your interest free period including those that you have paid.
Funny. ANZ has been my cc for yonks and I've become accustomed to their ways which is why I probably don't fancy the kiwibank way. If I've used it, I want to know and pay off the total.

I've always tried to pay things off at the end of each month. I figured if I tried to count the 44 days or so of interest then I'd probably get busy and forget and end up paying the interest that I was trying so hard to avoid!
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
I think love goes out the window when you've taken over 50 flights in a year. Admittedly I'm a bit jaded from flying but lets not forget that "flying for the sheer love of it" is probably a relative phrase. Would I prefer to fly than do housework? Probably yes. Would I rather play with my dog or binge watch The Blacklist than go flying? You betcha!

Of course there are certain things I enjoy otherwise I wouldn't be here.

I think FT extends quite a bit beyond 'love of flying' given the various forums. I see FT as more of an information/discussion site.
That's a perfectly valid view and of course FT is an extremely useful informational site. But it is different strokes. I fly 150-200 flights per year (and I know people who fly far more than me) and yet I can't wait for my next flight, even if it is another AKL-WLG one.

The point I was trying to imply in my previous post is I find it a bit strange that people come on to FT and criticise mileage running or flying for reasons other than getting from A to B. Yes, it's perfectly strange in the real world, but I thought FT would be the one place where such a bizarre practice would be accepted - even applauded.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: IHG Ambassador, Air NZ lowly Jade now, Emirates
That's a perfectly valid view and of course FT is an extremely useful informational site. But it is different strokes. I fly 150-200 flights per year (and I know people who fly far more than me) and yet I can't wait for my next flight, even if it is another AKL-WLG one.

The point I was trying to imply in my previous post is I find it a bit strange that people come on to FT and criticise mileage running or flying for reasons other than getting from A to B. Yes, it's perfectly strange in the real world, but I thought FT would be the one place where such a bizarre practice would be accepted - even applauded.
I only fly for leisure and I love the thought of getting on a plane. I'm sure if I had to do over 100 flights a year I'd be jaded too and rather be at home playing with the dogs and watching Blacklist as well (although House of Cards would win over Blacklist! ) Having said all that if I had to do a status run I would if it was worth it... for silver on Air NZ, not so much now that I've been introduced to the wonderful world of Emirates Gold.

I don't remember how I got introduced to flyertalk but it really has been the most invaluable resource for me and has got my husband and I all sorts of benefits we would never have even known about! Even this thread about the credit cards has been beneficial as I've now had a complete change around to gain some advantages.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Funny. ANZ has been my cc for yonks and I've become accustomed to their ways which is why I probably don't fancy the kiwibank way. If I've used it, I want to know and pay off the total.

I've always tried to pay things off at the end of each month. I figured if I tried to count the 44 days or so of interest then I'd probably get busy and forget and end up paying the interest that I was trying so hard to avoid!
You do not want to over pay especially if there is a pre authorisation hold on the card that you don't need to pay. I assume pre authorisations reflect in the current balance as well.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:27 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
You do not want to over pay especially if there is a pre authorisation hold on the card that you don't need to pay. I assume pre authorisations reflect in the current balance as well.
That's my biggest annoyance with Kiwibank. I booked a fully flexible hotel in HKG for January 2016 to lock in a good price while I could and they charged a NZD$500 pre-authorisation to the card 9 months in advance! So now I'm constantly having to add that amount back onto the available balance.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 8:31 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
As I have a direct debit for the full amount, that is the closing balance on the printed statement, I have avoided paying any interest on my CC. AFAIK, especially after working for several banks, you do not need to include subsequent transactions to maintain the interest free period, hence the 44+ days interest period.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
That's my biggest annoyance with Kiwibank. I booked a fully flexible hotel in HKG for January 2016 to lock in a good price while I could and they charged a NZD$500 pre-authorisation to the card 9 months in advance! So now I'm constantly having to add that amount back onto the available balance.
Card issuers in NZ usually allow pre-authorisation up to 7 days. If service provider did not 'bank' the chargers then the pre-authorisation is released.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:14 pm

Have you ever considered becoming a pilot?
I couldn't fly that much - I get homesick as it is.

Despite the fact we "converse" with flyers on FT, FT is still a melting pot of people so it's not really too surprising to find incompatible views on mileage runs. There are pros and cons and whether you're for or against it, depends on where you're sitting.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:28 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I received an email from Mr Street today saying I'd been pre-approved 20,000 for a Westpac card and if I sign up before May 1, I'll get a free recognition upgrade.

The email the other day was interesting too, saying how bad the new BNZ card was compared to the Airpoints cards with other banks.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:31 pm

Programs: NZ*E, Global Entry
I don't have my permanent residency -yet-, so I'm bummed to be without an AP/SP earning card, but at least I get to watch the dust settle and avoid making an uninformed decision when it's time
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:36 pm

True, I'm generally aiming to just have $5 surplus in paying it off. Not sure I do a lot of pre-authorisations. Prefer to book something and pay for it once I know my plans are concrete.

If Westpac cc statements have similar reporting to ANZ then I'll be a happy camper. Would be nice if they had a running tally of SP and APD to date and those earned this month (although I suppose the latter turns up on the Air NZ statement). ANZ does that with cashback rewards.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: VA Silver, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by brenrox
I received an email from Mr Street today saying I'd been pre-approved 20,000 for a Westpac card and if I sign up before May 1, I'll get a free recognition upgrade.

Seriously or is this a joke? For any westpac AP card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.