Am I being punked by Air New Zealand?

Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:00 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Under current New Zealand Law, only flights over 90 seats are required to be screen anything less than 90 seats is optional. They looked at it a couple of years back, and NZ decided the cost out weighted the risk. Back in 2001 no domestic flights had screening at all, you used to just walk straight from check-in to the plane.

Most regional airports, are still just an tin shed. So to setup any form of screening, the cost would be huge.
Wow. Another reason to move there.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mboca28
We are on a mini rwt with a 2 week stop in New Zealand

Booked a lot of flights within on aeroplan

KKE-AKL-NPE

Get to the Kerikeri Airport, check in our golf clubs one carry on

and then walk to the plane

Bags loaded on the plane NO SECURITY

We walk to the plane NO SECURITY

WE CONNECT IN AKL Watch our bags transfer between planes NO SECURITY

we get on plane NO SECURITY

WE FLY FROM NPE to WGN NO SECURITY

HAD TO ASK I was told only if you are flying on a jet, not a twin prop

YIKES!!!!
I don't know about you,. but I would see no security as an added convenience (especially as I have no intentions to blow up planes.)
Of course there is no security for connecting in AKL as you have arrived from another airport in NZ and are likely in the domestic sterile area.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by PLeblond
Wow. Another reason to move there.
The fact that NZ is in the middle of nowhere and things are very expensive are good reasons not to, though (as well as their entire country having less population than SIN.)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
I don't know about you,. but I would see no security as an added convenience (especially as I have no intentions to blow up planes.)
Of course there is no security for connecting in AKL as you have arrived from another airport in NZ and are likely in the domestic sterile area.
If you arrive in Auckland on a regional service you're in a non sterile area have to go through screening to enter the area for jet services. This is the same situation at all NZ airports where jet and non jet services operate.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:54 am
In memoriam

Programs: QF WP & AA EXP
*thinks about the stuff I've had in my carry-on flying regionally*:

Wood saw
Full tool kit (complete with "box cutter"!... and several pointy objects)
Hammers
Fireworks (yeah.... forgot about those)
Scissors (not just piddly little ones... real scissors! )

What's the problem?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
The fact that NZ is in the middle of nowhere and things are very expensive are good reasons not to, though (as well as their entire country having less population than SIN.)
I live in Canada. Have been to NZ. Its no more expensive than here.

As for the middle of nowhere and a small population... those are just more good reasons for moving there.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:32 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I moved here for those precise reasons - and they don't disappoint.

And my weekly Q300 commute is (mostly) a delight compared to the MAN-LHR shuttle I used to take.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 2:12 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
I'd tried random ZIP codes on my NZ card and my OneSmart card and none have ever worked.
Random zip code or random five digit number? The reason I ask is that not every five digit number is a zip code. So it is possible that the system can check against known zip codes, but won't cross-check the actual zip code registered to that card. Most of my friends default to 90210 when prompted for a zip in the US as the only zip code they know!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: EuroBonus
Originally Posted by sbiddle
It's interesting to know there are some workarounds.

For security reasons these machines all do a lookup of the zip code of the billing address of the card and if they don't match, it won't work. Since credit card skimming is so prolific in the US it was one a good way of minimising it.

I'd tried random ZIP codes on my NZ card and my OneSmart card and none have ever worked.
Well, in my experience they either don't check or it doesn't work for Danish cards, and everything is processed seamlessly anyway.

I drove more than 6K miles in the US last summer, so bought quite a bit of gas, with only one place unable to run my card at the pump using a real VA zip code unassociated with my card (but that place could not handle my card inside either).

YMMV

DanishFlyer
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Top of climb
Random zip code or random five digit number? The reason I ask is that not every five digit number is a zip code. So it is possible that the system can check against known zip codes, but won't cross-check the actual zip code registered to that card. Most of my friends default to 90210 when prompted for a zip in the US as the only zip code they know!
I meant random but genuine ZIP codes - such as 90210 or 100001
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by wijomas
*thinks about the stuff I've had in my carry-on flying regionally*:

Wood saw
Full tool kit (complete with "box cutter"!... and several pointy objects)
Hammers
Fireworks (yeah.... forgot about those)
Scissors (not just piddly little ones... real scissors! )

What's the problem?
The problem is when you take stuff and then get rerouted due to weather and have to be screened for a jet service.

I'm not quite sure what the guy at AKL thought my tone source / cable tester was when he saw it on the screen, but a square box with lots of wires coming out of it clearly registers as something suspicious!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: aeroplan,aaadvantage
NZ same price as Canada

R u kidding

Coffee 1.50 tims 4.00 everywhere for a long black( which tastes like crap most places)

Even mcdonalds is double

Gas 1.78 a liter in NZ toronto i think is around 1.00
And so on

That being said, new zealanders are the most down to earth wonderful people on the planet.

We hated to leave after 2 weeks
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: NZ*S
I've had fun watching them send one of my boxes back through the xray 5 or 6 times at the oversize luggage area.. It had a couple of nylon gears, and the rest of the box was packed tight with stainless steel shims, so for all purposes would have appeared totally opaque in those areas.

Surprisingly metal cased electronic control modules, cables and industrial joysticks in carryon didn't even get a second glance. But the steel ruler at the bottom of the laptop bag did.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:26 pm

R u kidding

Coffee 1.50 tims 4.00 everywhere for a long black( which tastes like crap most places)

Even mcdonalds is double

Gas 1.78 a liter in NZ toronto i think is around 1.00
And so on

That being said, new zealanders are the most down to earth wonderful people on the planet.

We hated to leave after 2 weeks
Espresso prices were on par.

Currently, diesel is $1.00NZ/l. sounds about like in QC.

Didn't go to McD's. Sorry; but according to the Big Mac index, its cheaper than in Canada....

I guess I was swayed by some local air..... Still, I'd move there tomorrow!!!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:28 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
R u kidding

To be fair, you can't compare Tim Hortons filter coffee with an espresso-based long black. And in my coffee-obsessed and not-so-humble opinion, the quality of coffee in better places in NZ far, far exceeds what is readily available in Canada, though I admit that standards are not uniformly high, (especially in smaller towns) and value for money isn't great. Then again, I'd prefer a small, strong, excellent coffee to a large, weak coffee of dubious quality.

However I agree with your overall comment that NZ is substantially more expensive than Canada, especially when you take into account what you actually earn there. A recent study ranked NZ as the seventh most expensive country in the world, hot on the heels of Australia as #6. Canada didn't make the top 15.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.