New Auckland Int Koru

Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:16 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
With the ceiling slats open I wonder what the noise levels will be like, after all, airports can be noisy!
You would also have to hope that the aircraft parked at at Gate 2, was using ground power rather than its APU.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:03 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Looks like the Sydney lounge. To be honest I thought the decor and feel in the Sydney lounge lacked warmth. Those long bench tables reminded me of a staff canteen. Sorry, thought was all a bit high tech for my taste...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: AA, UA, QF, TK, EY, NZ
Originally Posted by Trumpkin
With the ceiling slats open I wonder what the noise levels will be like, after all, airports can be noisy!
At least the outdoor area is contained from the rest of the lounge - you have to press a button in order to open the doors to the outside area instead of them being controlled by an automatic door opener. So hopefully the flow of people isn't so big, especially when there's a 777 starting up its engines right underneath!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: NZ - Elite, QF - Gold, Flying Blue - Petroleum Club, SIA - Solitaire PPS, EY- Gold Elite, EK- Gold
So, no area for business/Elite like SQ do. Still going to remain the zoo it always was with so many people in the lounge. Especially with access sold as part of economy seating. All those first time lounge users behaving like pigs at a trough at the buffet and bar.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mattyroo
So, no area for business/Elite like SQ do. Still going to remain the zoo it always was with so many people in the lounge. Especially with access sold as part of economy seating. All those first time lounge users behaving like pigs at a trough at the buffet and bar.
Works Duluxe no longer includes lounge access. it was cut a couple months ago when they re-introduced PE on the tasman (which doesn't get access to the lounge).
Old Sep 25, 2015, 2:25 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
From the stuff article it seems as if there will no longer be any pcs/tablets
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
I see that it was designed by Gensler which is an overseas firm. Such a shame they didn't use one of the great New Zealand architectural firms. It doesn't appear to have much of a New Zealand flavour. I love the comfy rattan furniture they have in the koru lounges. I would have liked to have seen more intimate spaces, it all seems rather cavernous.

I hope they police the usage of those loungers and white retro armchairs. I can see people making a bee line for them, putting their bags/ kids on them to reserve them and then not using them for long periods. At least that's what happened in the Sydney lounge when I was there.

Also hope they step up the food quality effort so that it matches the new lounge. Food is also important. I can remember the days when they used to bring out freshly baked cakes to the koru lounge... Don't seem to do that anymore.

Last edited by Ellice; Sep 25, 2015 at 3:17 pm Reason: Spelling mistake
Old Sep 25, 2015, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Wouldn't the majority of travelers these days already have an smart-phone or tablet on them?

Almost always I've got my iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro with me when traveling.

Is it worth taking up space these days with PC's? never really seen anyone use them currently in the Auckland Lounge.

Also noticed recently they implement email to print, in the lounges. So you don't really need an PC to be able to print your last minute documents out.

If only NZ introduced In-flight, Internet.....
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
No, please don't!

It is good to be able to get away from work emails for a while.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Wouldn't the majority of travelers these days already have an smart-phone or tablet on them?

Almost always I've got my iPhone, iPad and Macbook Pro with me when traveling.

Is it worth taking up space these days with PC's? never really seen anyone use them currently in the Auckland Lounge.

Also noticed recently they implement email to print, in the lounges. So you don't really need an PC to be able to print your last minute documents out.

There are times where your 'tech stuff' is lost / stolen / not working / damaged...etc just prior to your travel or at the airport, so some PCs would be handy. Expect the unexpected
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:37 pm

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
The new design looks pretty sleek, but I agree with the comments that the new look lacks a bit of warmth and personality. On the whole I prefer their previous 'bach' concept, at least when it was done well (e.g. CHC international lounge) because it was distinctive and comfortable and, though contrived, felt quite identifiably Kiwi. The new look is stylish enough but very anonymously international.

Still, I look forward to checking it out in person, particularly the semi outdoors terrace. The old one was very tired and dull.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AC 50K, NZ Gold
Originally Posted by mattyroo
BOOO mattyroo! Today is a day to celebrate the opening rather than to make negative comments about first time lounge users behaving like pigs! Haven't you been at one point a first time user yourself by any chance?
Also, Elite by invitations area is available for those who really deserve not to mingle with the rest of us commoners! May I suggest you try your luck over there!

To All: I loved new Sydney lounge and already looking forward to "piging" on some fabulous NZ wine and taking few cool shots from the terrazza in January @AKL!
Great job Kiwis!
Greetings from Vancouver!
^^^
Old Sep 27, 2015, 5:47 pm

I wonder if seafood would be one of the catering enhancement like the Emirates AKL lounge.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
That's correct, no desktop PCs anywhere in the lounge - nor any tablets, unless you care to hack the iPad near the barista station ("Yes madam, I know you're hanging out for a flat white, but I'm trying to edit this Keynote deck so if you can just be a little patient..." :P )
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Had my first visit today. Significantly less crowded during the 0600-0800 weekday busy period. Plenty of free seats. No crowding around the food. Plenty of cold breakfast options available plus cheese kranskys, the standard bean cassoulet, a nicer than usual frittata and a chickpea cake. The chef was making French toast with bacon. The bar wasn't open for service. Overall a big improvement in space and decor as well as food

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.