Community
Wiki Posts
Search

5 hour flight delay, any compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:50 am
Original Poster

5 hour flight delay, any compensation?

Hi all, I was scheduled on NZ 41 from PPT-AKL this past sunday that had a 5 1/2 delay. There was no airline rep to assist anyone, only a posted sign that says the flight was delayed. Being that PPT is a small open air airport, I chose to book a hotel room for my family of 3 so that we wouldn't be miserably hot and bored waiting at the airport. In addition, due to the flight delay and the fact that we had an early flight the next morning, I lost my hotel booking at AKL due to the cancellation policy being 24 hours prior and I was inside that window. Am I entitled to make a complaint here and request compensation? Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2014, 11:46 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Under those situations I couldn't see any airline compensating you for such losses. I'm assuming you didn't have travel insurance? Because that would cover you.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Under those situations I couldn't see any airline compensating you for such losses. I'm assuming you didn't have travel insurance? Because that would cover you.
... not willingly - but if a regularity body mandates compensation then they have no choice. If ex Europe, such a delay would generally mandate compensation up to ~NZ$950(€600).

For PPT-AKL that would be based on into what Zone the 4094km distance falls.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!
It would be interesting to see what the exact rules are for 261 compensation. PPT is right in that grey area of whether it is within the EU for that or not. Certainly worth a letter to NZ stating a claim and dragging them into small claims for it - I think a reasonable claim could be made, on the face of it.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 10:46 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Don't think you would find any airline willing to pay for an hotel for an 5hour delay, unless require by law.

Check out 9.1 http://www.airnewzealand.co.nz/asset...nuary-2013.pdf
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
Don't think you would find any airline willing to pay for an hotel for an 5hour delay, unless require by law.

I agree that no airline will provide hotel for a 5 hour delay. However, my biggest beef with the situation was that there was no representative from the airline to assist any passenger. There is a star alliance lounge in PPT, and had we been able to get our boarding passes and enter the lounge, we would not have complained, as I know that delays are part of travel. Even if we couldn't access the lounge, the mere fact that we could enter into the departure area which was the air conditioned portion of the airport with places to eat would have made this tolerable. None of this was provided.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by babypuwet
Hi all, I was scheduled on NZ 41 from PPT-AKL this past sunday that had a 5 1/2 delay. There was no airline rep to assist anyone, only a posted sign that says the flight was delayed. Being that PPT is a small open air airport, I chose to book a hotel room for my family of 3 so that we wouldn't be miserably hot and bored waiting at the airport. In addition, due to the flight delay and the fact that we had an early flight the next morning, I lost my hotel booking at AKL due to the cancellation policy being 24 hours prior and I was inside that window. Am I entitled to make a complaint here and request compensation? Thanks
Check it here http://www.tripmole.com
Old Nov 19, 2014, 10:41 am

Programs: UA Gold, *A Gold, HH Dia, Hertz #1 5*

Back in mid-April, NZ paid for my AKL hotel after my NZ90 NRT-AKL flight had an aborted landing (about 40m above the runway before the engines went to full spin-up) and a diversion to WLG. Due to nationwide bad weather, I was not able to be reaccomodated to ZQN either out of WLG or after my 6 hour late return to AKL. I did not read the PDF referenced above, so I don't know if I was the exception or the rule. Just glad I got the free room and a 24 hour late flight to ZQN. Since NRT-AKL and AKL-ZQN were separate itineraries, my guess is that I was the exception.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:30 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
A diversion and overnight stay is a very different scenario to a simple 5hr delay. If you end up diverted Air NZ will arrange accommodation, and always have done. Likewise they'll typically always allow rebooking or changes for free if you're diverted.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 11:48 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by babypuwet
I agree that no airline will provide hotel for a 5 hour delay. However, my biggest beef with the situation was that there was no representative from the airline to assist any passenger. There is a star alliance lounge in PPT, and had we been able to get our boarding passes and enter the lounge, we would not have complained, as I know that delays are part of travel. Even if we couldn't access the lounge, the mere fact that we could enter into the departure area which was the air conditioned portion of the airport with places to eat would have made this tolerable. None of this was provided.
The lounge is only open when flights are operating, in small airports like PPT they the change the opening hours subject to the departures.

NZ wouldn't have expected you to turn up to the airport, untill 2hours before the new departure time.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, AA. Plasticy things! That give me, y'know, Stuff!

Hence the question about whether PPT is under EU rules or not.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 4:04 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by SeriouslyLost
Hence the question about whether PPT is under EU rules or not.
French Polynesia is treated as a "third country".
Old Nov 25, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I think it's reasonable that NZ reimburse you for your lost hotel booking and payment for the AKL hotel - however it will probably take a lot of pushing to get them to do this. Might be better to be pragmatic and claim on travel insurance and then they can make a decision whether they want to recoup losses from NZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.