YYZ-AKL PE seats

Old Nov 11, 2014, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
YYZ-AKL PE seats

Hi, first time posting on the ANZ forum as I plan to visit AKL and SYD. I am leaving Toronto(YYZ) on 23 Nov and leaving to return back from SYD-AKL-YYZ on 07 Dec.
1) Not sure how ANZ functions re promo codes but can anyone let me know if there is a promo/discount code that I could use? I plan to travel on PE fare.
2) I have been told the PE seats on the 777-300 are way better than the 777-200 so I plan to route thru LAX instead of YVR (Vancouver). Is this correct? If so, any suggestions on the best seats to select? I am travelling solo.
3) I have Star Gold. Any suggestions on the best lounges to use at LAX, AKL and SYD?
4) On my short trip to SYD, will ANZ comp me PE seats because of my Star Gold status?
Thanks
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:07 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
1) The only times I see the promo codes is when they have announced special sales, such as the New Year 72 hour sale they did last year (at least for people in the USA).

2) I definitely prefer the PE seats on the 777-300. If you can, get one of the middle two seats as this will ensure you have direct aisle access and not have anyone disturb you to get out. They market the two middle seats as being for couples and the two on the sides for solo travelers but I personally think it should be the other way around. Let the couples share one aisle access and let the solo travelers not be disturbed by strangers.

3) In LAX I believe you are limited to the choice of Koru Lounge and Air Canada. They are located next to each other so you can decide for yourself - I've never been in the AC lounge. I've only ever used NZ's lounge in Auckland, so I'm not much help there.

4) I can't definitively answer this one but my guess would be no.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SeaProf
1) The only times I see the promo codes is when they have announced special sales, such as the New Year 72 hour sale they did last year (at least for people in the USA).

2) I definitely prefer the PE seats on the 777-300. If you can, get one of the middle two seats as this will ensure you have direct aisle access and not have anyone disturb you to get out. They market the two middle seats as being for couples and the two on the sides for solo travelers but I personally think it should be the other way around. Let the couples share one aisle access and let the solo travelers not be disturbed by strangers.

3) In LAX I believe you are limited to the choice of Koru Lounge and Air Canada. They are located next to each other so you can decide for yourself - I've never been in the AC lounge. I've only ever used NZ's lounge in Auckland, so I'm not much help there.

4) I can't definitively answer this one but my guess would be no.
Thanks for the response. The AC transborder lounge is nothing to write home about.. You need to exit the lounge to even use the washrooms. No food though some ok alcohol. I suspect the NZ lounge is better.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:38 am

Programs: NZ Elite, KQ Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by vernonc
Hi, first time posting on the ANZ forum as I plan to visit AKL and SYD. I am leaving Toronto(YYZ) on 23 Nov and leaving to return back from SYD-AKL-YYZ on 07 Dec.
1) Not sure how ANZ functions re promo codes but can anyone let me know if there is a promo/discount code that I could use? I plan to travel on PE fare.
2) I have been told the PE seats on the 777-300 are way better than the 777-200 so I plan to route thru LAX instead of YVR (Vancouver). Is this correct? If so, any suggestions on the best seats to select? I am travelling solo.
3) I have Star Gold. Any suggestions on the best lounges to use at LAX, AKL and SYD?
4) On my short trip to SYD, will ANZ comp me PE seats because of my Star Gold status?
Thanks
Have you checked to see what kind of plane you are on for your flight/s between SYD and AKL?

Be aware that a lot of these flights are on all economy class A320s.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DomesticGoddess
Have you checked to see what kind of plane you are on for your flight/s between SYD and AKL?

Be aware that a lot of these flights are on all economy class A320s.
787 AKL-SYD and 767 SYD-AKL. PE would be nice to have on this route but I can survive Y as it is only 3 hrs. Just checking if it is a possibility to move to better seats as the long hauls are on paid PE.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 10:43 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Koru in SYD is nice. Koru in AKL good. I think there is an older A320 with biz between AKL-SYD still flying (think it is the late flight) -all new ones are all E.

To see Promo's you have to sign up on each country -some rates are available 1 way so multiple countries better. I am on US, NZ, Au.

Never take PE, only biz which I personally do not like as they flip over so you can only recline to a certain degree. Many others prefer over UA.

Don't expect any bennies from NZ but they do have a buy up to biz if that flight is still available. I bid $200 and got the upgrade. For me the money was worth it for the 3 hours.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
The PE 77W seats are far better than 77E seats but be aware not all flights ex LAX are 77W, there are still a number of 77E flights on this route.

You won't be able to select PE seats to SYD with *G, automatic seating in PE (if available) if only a Air NZ status benefit, but there is probably no harm asking at check-in to see if there are spare seats.

As for LAX lounges I've only visited the Air NZ one in T2, Air NZ do move to TBIT in early December so you'll pass through a different terminal on your way back. Koru in SYD is also closed at present for a major refit which is discussed in another thread in here, visiting the SQ lounge there may also be an option as it's quite nice.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Thanks. I just ticketed. NZ5 outbound and NZ2 on the return from LAX. Both have spaceseats which I believe are the nicer PE seats on the 777-300s. I selected seats from the frequent flyer category. Is it worth paying $50 more for the preferred seats?
For AKL-SYD return I have picked seats in the Works Deluxe category which seem to be premium and were free based on the entire itin ticketing as PE fare.
Looking forward to my trip.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
I flew PE on the 777-200 to Vancouver and then the 777-300 ex LAX a couple of weeks ago. I would go for the 200 over the "space seat". The space seat is great for lounging, eating etc but not nearly as good for sleeping--which is always my priority on long overnight flights. Give me a proper leg rest over a tiny bean bag on the floor every time.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:39 pm

Yes if you're booking to SYD as part of a PE ticket you'll get works deluxe which gives you a meal and access to PE seating.

You'll have to post back afterwards and let us know what you think of the PE seats. I've still never flown in one, and it's safe to say virtually everybody regards them as better than the older 77E PE seats (which are just an economy seat with more leg room and more recline), people on here either love or hate them.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Yes if you're booking to SYD as part of a PE ticket you'll get works deluxe which gives you a meal and access to PE seating.

You'll have to post back afterwards and let us know what you think of the PE seats. I've still never flown in one, and it's safe to say virtually everybody regards them as better than the older 77E PE seats (which are just an economy seat with more leg room and more recline), people on here either love or hate them.
Will do after my trip. I had specific feedback about booking the new PE seats over the old ones which are reg seats with more leg room. I would prefer J but my budget does not go that far .
Old Nov 11, 2014, 3:58 pm

You could always try submitting a OneUp upgrade for your flight(s) to move up to BP. Certainly with the AKL-SYD flight a lowball bid of somewhere in the vicinity of $250 does stand a good chance of being accepted if there is space. OneUp bids on the LAX flights are always a gamble due to the far higher loadings in BP and PE.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You could always try submitting a OneUp upgrade for your flight(s) to move up to BP. Certainly with the AKL-SYD flight a lowball bid of somewhere in the vicinity of $250 does stand a good chance of being accepted if there is space. OneUp bids on the LAX flights are always a gamble due to the far higher loadings in BP and PE.
Any idea on what kind of one up bid would have a chance of success on LAX-AKL?
Old Nov 11, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: NZ GOLD (*G), KLM FB S, QF S,
Originally Posted by vernonc
Any idea on what kind of one up bid would have a chance of success on LAX-AKL?
Check this out.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...-thus-far.html
Old Nov 13, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: Platinum, HH Diamond
FYI, I thought the Koru lounge at Sydney International was being refurbished so we have to use the temp lounge.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.