YYZ-AKL PE seats

Old Nov 14, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by jawnbc
I flew PE on the 777-200 to Vancouver and then the 777-300 ex LAX a couple of weeks ago. I would go for the 200 over the "space seat". The space seat is great for lounging, eating etc but not nearly as good for sleeping--which is always my priority on long overnight flights. Give me a proper leg rest over a tiny bean bag on the floor every time.
I totally agree. I don't like the space seat much - it's fine on LHR-LAX where I don't tend to sleep; but on the other sectors it sucks. I would take the 77E over it at this point as I just can't sleep in it (and I write this having just slept a couple hours on US Airways in Y).
Old Nov 15, 2014, 1:33 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by ajnz
I totally agree. I don't like the space seat much - it's fine on LHR-LAX where I don't tend to sleep; but on the other sectors it sucks. I would take the 77E over it at this point as I just can't sleep in it (and I write this having just slept a couple hours on US Airways in Y).
I understand people not necessarily preferring the SpaceSeat to a good conventional PE seat (I think I'm probably in that camp) but I don't understand you finding it harder to sleep than in a poor Y product like US's. There's more room all round and there's more recline (though god knows not as much as one would wish).

I'm really not good at sleeping in Y seats, but I slept pretty well in the SpaceSeat (though I did have to wriggle around a fair bit and switch positions) - admittedly with the help of booze and Xanax.

What is it about the SpaceSeat that you find so utterly non-conducive to sleep?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:32 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by mad_atta
I understand people not necessarily preferring the SpaceSeat to a good conventional PE seat (I think I'm probably in that camp) but I don't understand you finding it harder to sleep than in a poor Y product like US's. There's more room all round and there's more recline (though god knows not as much as one would wish).

I'm really not good at sleeping in Y seats, but I slept pretty well in the SpaceSeat (though I did have to wriggle around a fair bit and switch positions) - admittedly with the help of booze and Xanax.

I don't understand it either. I find the SpaceSeat relatively great for working in (although not being square to the table is irritating) and I like the peace and sense of space in the cabin - it's definitely not crowded.

But to sleep? It's the position of the seat, total lack of recline, and for me, no where to comfortably put my legs - the little bean bag does nothing for me; and this is compounded by the rest of the seat - the seat base, angle, positioning, everything. It just doesn't work for me - it's like trying to sleep in my desk chair in the office.

I think I slept about the same amount in 77W LAX-AKL sectors in U and in Y - and I rate the 77W Y experience the single worst trans-pac flight I've ever taken.
Old Nov 16, 2014, 5:13 am

Programs: OZ*G, VA Plat, NZ*G (Elite), QF Gold and PC+, Hyatt Explorist, HH Gold, Bonvoyed ("Gold")
Originally Posted by ajnz
I don't understand it either. I find the SpaceSeat relatively great for working in (although not being square to the table is irritating) and I like the peace and sense of space in the cabin - it's definitely not crowded.

But to sleep? It's the position of the seat, total lack of recline, and for me, no where to comfortably put my legs - the little bean bag does nothing for me; and this is compounded by the rest of the seat - the seat base, angle, positioning, everything. It just doesn't work for me - it's like trying to sleep in my desk chair in the office.

I think I slept about the same amount in 77W LAX-AKL sectors in U and in Y - and I rate the 77W Y experience the single worst trans-pac flight I've ever taken.
Eeek, sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. You mention 'total lack of recline' - I still find the spaceseat reclines more than a Y seat. Yes it's a bit awkward trying to make it work, but it's there nonetheless...

I completely agree about the beanbag. Useless and long since squashed into compressed uselessness.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:46 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Well I'm 168cm tall. There is no comfortable way to rest my legs--they just reach the floor when fully reclined. Puts pressure on my lower back and shoulders. In a convention Y seat I can sleep much better. Less strain on my back.

Old Nov 18, 2014, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by zebranz
I think there is an older A320 with biz between AKL-SYD still flying (think it is the late flight) -all new ones are all E.
I have never heard about that one A320
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:51 am

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by henrus
I have never heard about that one A320
That's because it doesn't exist.
Old Nov 27, 2014, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Ok, as promised, I flew in PE LAX-AKL on the 777-300 and here is my review.
I was very comfortable in the PE spaceseat. I slept 6 hrs straight. It is fidgety to setup but once done no prob. The beanbag was too thin but I used two since I had a empty seat next to me. I was originally in the middle seat but since there were some empty seats, I switched to a window with the aisle empty. The middle seats would work the best as a small couch to sleep on if you have no seatmate.
Overall ANZ is far better than NA carriers. The Koru lounge was better incl food and drink offerings. The seats were better, IFE and inflight service was better and the food was better. I flew YYZ-LAX on AC J on a single aisle aircraft (no lie flat seats) and I would rate the ANZ PE better. The only thing better would be a lie flat seat but my budget could not cover it.
Old Nov 28, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
Originally Posted by vernonc
Ok, as promised, I flew in PE LAX-AKL on the 777-300 and here is my review.
I was very comfortable in the PE spaceseat. I slept 6 hrs straight. It is fidgety to setup but once done no prob. The beanbag was too thin but I used two since I had a empty seat next to me. I was originally in the middle seat but since there were some empty seats, I switched to a window with the aisle empty. The middle seats would work the best as a small couch to sleep on if you have no seatmate.
Overall ANZ is far better than NA carriers. The Koru lounge was better incl food and drink offerings. The seats were better, IFE and inflight service was better and the food was better. I flew YYZ-LAX on AC J on a single aisle aircraft (no lie flat seats) and I would rate the ANZ PE better. The only thing better would be a lie flat seat but my budget could not cover it.
Thanks for the review. I am in agreement, particularly concerning the NA carriers.
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QR Plat

I completely agree about the beanbag. Useless and long since squashed into compressed uselessness.
I often have relent and take a small carry-on hardcase on to put the beanbag on and create a pseudo-footrest. works well!
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
To those upthread that said that there was no business seats between AKL-SYD, the 777 has business seats. I was on that flight today.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I am not sure any indicated there were no business seats - there are posts warning there is no business class seating on the A320's.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 10:28 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by serfty
I am not sure any indicated there were no business seats - there are posts warning there is no business class seating on the A320's.
Right. No business seats on A320. However some AKL-SYD flights are operated with 763, 772, 773 or 789 aircraft - all of which have business class seats.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.