What would be best?

Old Sep 25, 2014, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ - Elite, QF - Gold, Flying Blue - Petroleum Club, SIA - Solitaire PPS, EY- Gold Elite, EK- Gold
What would be best?

I have a booking on CX in a few weeks that has the leg operated between AKL and Honkers operated by AirNZ.

My partner will be travelling with me from AKL->DXB. I used some of my QF points to buy her a business ticket between HKG and DXB, I just now need to sort out her flight to HKG.

I have a couple of options;

Buy her a PE seat and use her RU to go up to BP. She is only Silver/Gold Elite Partner, so not sure on the chances of this clearing.

Buy her a PE seat and put a bid in for a one-up upgrade, was thinking around 650$ for this, looking at the thread that shows wins/losses for this silly system.

As I'm Elite and travelling on this flight, but on a CX ticket, I doubt that me requesting her an upgrade from my account would have any benefit. Would it?

Any thoughts on best approach to secure her upgrade? Worst thing is; if it doesn't come through, she won't be the one sitting in PE....
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:26 pm

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
If you give her you RU it will still only be confirmed from a week before a flight. Your elite status and her elite partner status don't allow for automatic confirmation.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
Automatic confirmation

Originally Posted by 1121
If you give her you RU it will still only be confirmed from a week before a flight. Your elite status and her elite partner status don't allow for automatic confirmation.
Slightly different situation but still on the same topic

If all the passengers are booked on the same booking as the Elite

1 is it possible to get instant confirmation for the other passengers ?
2 or only for the elite ?
3 if there is just one availability of A class does just the elite get the upgrade and the others wait till later?
4 does their status influence the situation?

This is for both the RU upgrade and the standby upgrade situation

Last edited by Beano; Sep 26, 2014 at 12:00 am Reason: Grammar error
Old Sep 26, 2014, 12:25 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by 1121
RU also has the benefit of remaining waitlisted til time-of-departure if not cleared in advance -- something OneUp does not offer.
Old Sep 27, 2014, 4:49 am

Programs: NZ G, QF G, Accor Plat
Depends of your attitude to risk, I've never had an RU fail to clear, used about 10 they've all been fine.

Can you change seats if you are ticketed in BP and she's in BP? I've had this conversation with my wife in similar circumstances, certainly at least until the doors closed officially you can't change seats.

After the doors are closed, of course all bets are off and the crew do what they want

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.