Wiki Posts
Search

New Amex Platinum Card

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
New Amex Platinum Card

Not really Air NZ specific but seemed like it would be more beneficial to people to post in here than in the Amex MR forum. Not sure if this is 100% new or just not been advertised online or available on Amex NZ website before.

American Express Platinum Card

Eligibility & Cost
- NZ Resident
- Minimun annual income $100k
- Card fee $1,250 pa

Benefits
- 80,000 bonus MR points on signup and spend of $500 in first 2 months
- Complimentary Priority Pass membership for you and 1 supplementary card holder (full access for you and supplementary card holder with 1 guest each)
- Complimentary Accor Advantage Plus membership which includes one complimentary nights stay at an Accor property (valued at $319)
- Complimentary Amex Platinum Edge Card with access to free NZ domestic return airfare
- Unspecified discounts on First and Business class airfares
- Unspecified benefits when renting with Hertz and Avis
- Unspecified benefits when staying at Fine Hotels & Resorts and Small Luxury Hotels of the World
- Unspecified cruise ship upgrades and onboard credits
- Access to Platinum Concierge, Platinum Travel Services and Platinum Card Services
- Complimentary travel insurance, extended warranty cover, 3 month insurance to damage/loss of new goods, and roadside assistance
Old Sep 15, 2014, 6:16 am

The Charge Card used to be invitation only where they did not disclose the eligibility and requirements till this year.

$1250 is probably the highest annual fee in NZ market?
Old Sep 15, 2014, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
The Charge Card used to be invitation only where they did not disclose the eligibility and requirements till this year.

$1250 is probably the highest annual fee in NZ market?
Yes I think so. Other than the Amex Centurion Card.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by NZ_Flyer
Yes I think so. Other than the Amex Centurion Card.
I am fairly certain NZ does not issues Amex Centurion? (unless approval from Australia?)
Old Sep 20, 2014, 7:23 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Not really Air NZ specific but seemed like it would be more beneficial to people to post in here than in the Amex MR forum. Not sure if this is 100% new or just not been advertised online or available on Amex NZ website before.
It's been around for years - I was issued one in NZ in 2002. It used to be on the Amex NZ website (at least in that time frame, but I recall seeing it in more recent times too).

The benefits for the NZ-issued card are - or were - relatively weak, but the NZ-based Concierge team were absolutely the best that I ever used.

Originally Posted by zqsn5678
I am fairly certain NZ does not issues Amex Centurion? (unless approval from Australia?)
That's my understanding.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: A3, AA, AF, AS, BA, SQ, UA, US, IHG, SPG
Amex is milking it

This card is still being offered on Amex NZ's website AND the ads pop up here on FT! You are essentially paying NZ$1250 for 40k airline miles (80k points = 40k) and little else. In the US the cost is US$450 and usually you get the 1st year fee-free, 40-50k miles signup bonus and the points convert at 1:1. Similar for the Aussie version of the card.

Has anyone used NZ Amex Platinum to access the Amex Centurion lounges in SYD and US?
Old Jul 9, 2015, 8:55 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by milehighclubnz
This card is still being offered on Amex NZ's website AND the ads pop up here on FT! You are essentially paying NZ$1250 for 40k airline miles (80k points = 40k) and little else. In the US the cost is US$450 and usually you get the 1st year fee-free, 40-50k miles signup bonus and the points convert at 1:1. Similar for the Aussie version of the card.

Has anyone used NZ Amex Platinum to access the Amex Centurion lounges in SYD and US?
Yes. No problems.
SFO Centurion lounge is the best one I have used at that airport. Unfortunately all the locals have figured this out and it is often packed.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 9:47 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by WLGNZ
Yes. No problems.
SFO Centurion lounge is the best one I have used at that airport. Unfortunately all the locals have figured this out and it is often packed.
Can you access them with a NZ-issued Platinum Edge card? I assume not.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 10:20 pm

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Originally Posted by pbl22
Not sure. I have the Amex Platinum charge card.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:41 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by pbl22
Officially it is not a benefit of the Edge card when you go to amex NZ site, for the Centurion it is so you have to assume the lounge people will know the difference.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:15 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Officially it is not a benefit of the Edge card when you go to amex NZ site, for the Centurion it is so you have to assume the lounge people will know the difference.
They sure do. Happened to sit near the entry in the DFW Centurion Lounge on Tuesday evening and listened to people getting politely invited to pay $50 to enter as their card was not a Platinum/Centurion Charge Card, therefore no complimentary entry.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
still waiting for a reason to sign up to the card - benefits don't really stack up other than Accor Platinum which is not apparent if it is a yearly benefit or a once off
Old Jul 10, 2015, 5:22 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
Originally Posted by dadig
still waiting for a reason to sign up to the card - benefits don't really stack up other than Accor Platinum which is not apparent if it is a yearly benefit or a once off
On the website for Accor it says you get silver status, a drink (which I'm not sure I need), free internet (quite often slower than using a mobile hotspot) and late checkout which I rarely need.

I've never gone for Amex due to high fees and the charges on transactions are usually more. And on occasion it's not accepted. So I've never really weighed it all up in depth to see if worth it.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 7:23 pm

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
On the website for Accor it says you get silver status, a drink (which I'm not sure I need), free internet (quite often slower than using a mobile hotspot) and late checkout which I rarely need.

I've never gone for Amex due to high fees and the charges on transactions are usually more. And on occasion it's not accepted. So I've never really weighed it all up in depth to see if worth it.

Pretty sure it is Accor Platinum on the Amex NZ website - hence the whole smoke and mirrors, apart from that - Centurion lounge is possibly a plus. Already have Priority Pass via Westpac, so no really added benefit for less acceptance.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum

American Express Platinum Card

Eligibility & Cost
- NZ Resident
- Minimun annual income $100k
- Card fee $1,250 pa

Benefits
- 80,000 bonus MR points on signup and spend of $500 in first 2 months
- Complimentary Priority Pass membership for you and 1 supplementary card holder (full access for you and supplementary card holder with 1 guest each)
- Complimentary Accor Advantage Plus membership which includes one complimentary nights stay at an Accor property (valued at $319)
- Complimentary Amex Platinum Edge Card with access to free NZ domestic return airfare
- Unspecified discounts on First and Business class airfares
- Unspecified benefits when renting with Hertz and Avis
- Unspecified benefits when staying at Fine Hotels & Resorts and Small Luxury Hotels of the World
- Unspecified cruise ship upgrades and onboard credits
- Access to Platinum Concierge, Platinum Travel Services and Platinum Card Services
- Complimentary travel insurance, extended warranty cover, 3 month insurance to damage/loss of new goods, and roadside assistance
Has anyone had any experience with the discounts on first and business? eg is it 10, 20, or 30% off etc?

Last edited by NZbutterfly; Jul 21, 2015 at 5:06 am Reason: found answer to other question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.