Wiki Posts
Search

ZK-NBV final Air NZ 744 flight

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by ottiehund
New to flyertalk, but would have lost count of the times I have flown on Air NZ's 747 aircraft, mostly in J when I worked in an export role in the seafood industry, to US, Asia and Europe. Sad to see the last one go.
Welcome to FT ottiehound!

I just had a look at my own records, and my last flight on ZK-NBV was a same day turnaround AKL-MEL-AKL on a 'Seat Only' fare in Nov 2010. The was also my most recent Air NZ 744 flight.

I then used a (soon to expire) 'Gold Upgrade' (before RU came into being) to travel more comfortably in both directions. Seemed like good value as the Seat Only fare was on a sale

Always like flying the 747, be sad to see them out of service

Last edited by Thai-Kiwi; Sep 14, 2014 at 5:39 am
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Welcome to FT ottiehound!

I just had a look at my own records, and my last flight on ZK-NBV was a same day turnaround AKL-MEL-AKL on a 'Seat Only' fare in Nov 2014.
I appreciate that you have travelled extensively, TK, but hadn't realised that time travel was part of your arsenal.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by pbl22
I appreciate that you have travelled extensively, TK, but hadn't realised that time travel was part of your arsenal.
Thanks, corrected. Probably a consequence of the very limited flying so far this year, although this will be rectified very soon!
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Probably 747. The first 777s arrived around October 2005 IIRC, and 767 LAX flights were all via various islands (which presumably you'd recall a middle of the night transit stop).
They didn't put 777s on LAX-AKL route initially did they? It always seemed to be a 744 when I flew it, until the 773s arrived (which was much more recent).
Old Sep 14, 2014, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Probably 747. The first 777s arrived around October 2005 IIRC, and 767 LAX flights were all via various islands (which presumably you'd recall a middle of the night transit stop).
Thank you. I know we for sure didn't make a stop I would have remembered that.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:34 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
It is now parked in the hanger, probably being stripped of Air NZ equipment and colour scheme.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by sbiddle
Word is it's been sold and will be refitted to an all economy layout, so at least it still has a future and won't be turned into Coke cans or parked up.
Is there a rumor to who bought it and with all Y is it a charter or for a low cost airline?
Old Sep 14, 2014, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Figure I may ask around here...in Spring of 2005 LAX-AKL what would the plane have been? I flew down to go to Lake Taupo to race the Ironman and I'm just trying to fill out some of the old FlightMemory website that I have on older flights I remember taking but never paying much attention to what we were actually sitting on.
My first flight to NZ was in '07. LAX-AKL was a 777 and AKL-LAX was a 747, ZK-SUH, so by '07 they were using them on most of their routes. I believe they first took delivery of the 777-200 in late '05, so if it was before that it was probably the 744. Edit: Kind soul above just answered this, I probably should have read further, but now you know for sure

I also remember the worst flight of my life on an NZ 747, AKL-LAX through vicious turbulence for hours. It was the only time in my life I have ever even come close to vomiting on a plane, but after 6-7 hours straight of turbulence, that vomit bag was looking REALLY tempting. Happy to say I held most of it in. I remember looking at the flight map on the back of the seat and we made gradual S turns all the way up the pacific trying to avoid t-storms. Arrived about 90 minutes late into LAX and ran across the complex to catch another United flight across the US. Was the last one on board, throat parched, feeling sick as a dog, and immediately just fell asleep after being up for 24 hours due to the turbulent 747 flight. Woke up in Boston with the stiffest neck of my life.

I'm going to miss that big son-of-a-.....! One of the prettiest 747s flying.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 6:16 pm

Funny because the only time I've felt nervous on a plane was the way back AKL-LAX as well. My Dad was sitting a row behind me and across the aisle and I thought well if Dad is sitting there fine being the small plane pilot I shouldn't sweat it. I remember looking back and him and seeing the expression on his face which didn't help calm my nerves.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Is there a rumor to who bought it and with all Y is it a charter or for a low cost airline?
I heard to names, just that it had been sold.

In terms of 744's NBV's 1998 production date is probably a lot newer than many that would be parked up.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 11:44 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by mad_atta
They didn't put 777s on LAX-AKL route initially did they? It always seemed to be a 744 when I flew it, until the 773s arrived (which was much more recent).
IIRC 772s have been used on LAX route for the extra peak season flights (NZ3/4?) as well as some times when 747s were unavailable.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
I flew on a 772 (ZK-OKE) on NZ2 AKL-LAX in 2006. I think that was the year AKL-HKG-LHR was launched with a 744, and AKL-LAX-LHR downgauged to 772.

My first NZ flight was on ZK-NBV from LHR-LAX in 2000. Like many I will miss the NZ 747 and regret not doing my own farewell flight.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 6:48 pm

I love the 747

Just love the 747. As a child, I saw ads with an "upstairs" in the plane, and I knew I had made it when i finally got to ascend those stairs (to the old business class before Business Premiere).
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QRPC Gold
It looks like ZK-NBV is on her way to LAX and onwards to her new existence right now as NZ6074

Last edited by HaaZe; Oct 12, 2014 at 10:52 pm Reason: Add flight number and correct code
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:06 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Originally Posted by HaaZe
It looks like ZK-NBV is on her way to LAX and onwards to her new existence right now as NZ6074
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ANZ6074

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.