Search

NZ Flight Protection if Delay?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
NZ Flight Protection if Delay?

Hi,

I am looking to purchase a ticket for a domestic CHC-AKL NZ flight, connecting to an existing (separate ticket) international award reservation from AKL-BKK on TG. I have found a CHC-AKL flight arriving in Auckland at 11:15AM, leaving plenty of time to make my connection departing at 2:50PM.

My Question: In the event of a delay on my scheduled flight, would NZ allow me to change my flight at no cost if I'm booked on Seat+Bag fare? I think the 3 1/2 hour layover should be sufficient, but I tend to worry about missed connections on separate tickets. There are plenty of additional flights between CHC and AKL that would arrive with sufficient time, but I wouldn't want to pbe charged a change fee to make flight adjustments.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 11:57 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
No they won't. The only way to get FOC changes is with FlexiTime or Flexi Plus. Alternatively, you could get an HFL fare but these are considerably more expensive. Even if issued separately, the HFL fare is considered part of the international itinerary.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 12:32 am

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Assuming you know that the flight will be delayed by say more than an hour well in advance, I do think you have sufficient grounds to ask for an earlier flight at no charge. Don't even mention that you are connecting to another flight.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:54 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
I thought under the new domestic fare structure a flexible fare is only $50 more. If this is the case and you are worried about it then I would think $50 is small enough premium for the flexibility you are after.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 4:02 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I would think $50 is small enough premium for the flexibility you are after.
Especially compared to the cost of a new ticket which OP will need to buy should he try to change on day of departure...
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:26 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
I thought under the new domestic fare structure a flexible fare is only $50 more. If this is the case and you are worried about it then I would think $50 is small enough premium for the flexibility you are after.
Yes, if there are other reasonable options.

A flexible fare doesn't help if the departing airport is closed to all flights, or if there is no alternative flight (or no availability on any alternative flights).

In practice I end up with flexible fare for protection on separate tickets less than half the time, as more than half of the time there is no reasonable alternative flight to switch to.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I hadn't been up-to-speed with NZ's new domestic fare structure. In the end, I decided to upgrade to "FlexiTime" in order to have the possibility of greater flexibility on the day of flight, in the event of IRROPS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.