Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air NZ no refund on cancelled flights

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:21 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by waterwingsNZ
Potentially. My study of contract law was some years ago now but following common law principles, if your particular car has been ascertained and earmarked for you, the contract contains no further direction on when title transfer is to take place then you bear the risk from the conclusion of the contract (which can be different to when you take delivery). You may have a case against the shipping company.

You can add all sorts of clauses to change the above of course but it remains, the example you suggest, although unlikely, is a possibility.
Wouldn't consumer law prevent that possibility from happening?
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Susiew237
while I have some sympathy for the OP, it makes sense to me that they would not refund on the 2nd flight. I'm making some assumptions here.. you could have got to Wellington (albeit not in time for your meeting) and therefore you could have taken the flight home. So therefore it would seem quite nice of them to offer you a credit on the return portion.

Having said all that, I'd be quite livid too It's easy to be calm and objective when the case referred to doesn't involve me!
It depends on if we are talking about Ryanair or a full service premium carrier.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
This happened to me on the WLG-HLZ route. New arrival time in HLZ was after the return flight time back to WLG and I was still denied a refund on the return and only offered a credit note on the outbound as it was a cheapie ticket. Obviously I could not travel as the whole point was negated.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Wouldn't consumer law prevent that possibility from happening?
You are quite correct. My earlier example would therefore only perhaps apply to a business purchasing a vehicle where the trader has specifically contracted out of the CGA. As I said, contract law was a long time ago, who knows what else has slipped my brain!
Old Jul 30, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: QFF/NZ/
Originally Posted by angatol
So if I buy a car in NZ and the container ship with my car on it sinks. The car dealer can just keep my money without providing a car? All they have to do is put a clause like that in their Ts&Cs.
Lots of variables such as third party etc I know but essentially if the car dealer offered you insurance on the car in transit and you declined it then it is your loss. Maritime law is a whole different basket but the principle applies.

I think a refund of the first (cancelled) flight and a credit for the unused return flight is not a bad offer.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 1:19 am

Did you get credit atleast?

Offtopic but regarding airpoints. If you have a return ticket should airports be credits after one of the flight legs is completed i.e auckland to shanghai? or after the return flight has been completed?
Old Jul 30, 2014, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ZK-BEU
I think a refund of the first (cancelled) flight and a credit for the unused return flight is not a bad offer.
It's certainly great for the airline.

Terrible for the consumer, though.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 5:10 pm

Programs: NZ, IHG, Hilton, Accor, Hertz, FoundersCard
You could try the Disputes Tribunal. There's a good chance they'd cave before the hearing, to avoid the possibility of a precedent being set. I got bussed HLZ-AKL once & got no compensation at all, but didn't bother pursuing it.

justakiwi
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by brend
Offtopic but regarding airpoints. If you have a return ticket should airports be credits after one of the flight legs is completed i.e auckland to shanghai? or after the return flight has been completed?
Flights are always credited after they are taken, ie you'll get credited immediately after the first sector of a return ticket.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:22 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by justakiwi
You could try the Disputes Tribunal. There's a good chance they'd cave before the hearing, to avoid the possibility of a precedent being set. I got bussed HLZ-AKL once & got no compensation at all, but didn't bother pursuing it.

justakiwi
I'm not sure the disputes tribunal will care - but there is no harm in asking.

Ultimately the OP made the decision to remove the travel insurance which is added by default to every domestic ticket, and purchased a non refundable ticket. While 99% of the time nothing is going to go wrong, this case shows what happens when delays occur.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:29 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:38 am

What has travel insurance got to do with anything? Insurance is for insuring yourself, not for insuring the party that you're contracting with. It's up to them to insure against failing to provide a service they've been paid for!
I agree with you 100%. So what the airlines encourage you to buy insurance from them so they can make more money and care less? Where are customer service and consumers' rights?

Just think if the Honolulu flight a few days ago was delayed by weather, would NZ ask you to pay for hotels yourselves? Ryanair would but I wouldn't expect NZ to say to me "Tough, you didn't buy insurance so sort out your hotel yourself".
Old Jul 31, 2014, 12:54 am

Last edited by angatol; Feb 28, 2015 at 2:33 pm
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:26 am

Programs: QFF/NZ/
What has travel insurance got to do with anything? Insurance is for insuring yourself, not for insuring the party that you're contracting with. It's up to them to insure against failing to provide a service they've been paid for!
You are right. The OP opted not to insure himself/herself against travel disruption. The cancellation was due to factors outside the airlines control and they did offer the OP an alternative which was of no use to him/her so he/she opted not to travel. The OP was refunded for the cancelled flight. It is the return flight that is in dispute. The flight operated but without the OP onboard.The debate is as to whether the airline should have to refund a non-refundable ticket in this case. My earlier comment that a credit for the ticket was a good offer is based on a compromise between the two options of a refund in $$$ or no refund at all.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ZK-BEU
cancellation was due to factors outside the airlines control and they did offer the OP an alternative which was of no use to him/her so he/she opted not to travel. The OP was refunded for the cancelled flight. It is the return flight that is in dispute. The flight operated but without the OP onboard.The debate is as to whether the airline should have to refund a non-refundable ticket in this case.
When you cancel a ticket, you cancel all flights on the ticket. And certainly if you fail to take the first trip on your ticket, the airline will step in and cancel all the other flights remaining on the ticket!

It shouldn't matter whether or not the delay/cancellation is the fault of the airline. If a customer is negatively impacted, they should have the right to agree either to a later flight, or if that is no good, a full refund. Why does the airline suddenly consider this single ticket to suddenly be two (or more) separate flight tickets that are handled differently? If the second (or subsequent) flight(s) can just be refunded as a credit note, why don't they refund the entire ticket in this manner? If the first (cancelled/delayed) flight can be refunded to the form of payment used when buying the ticket, why not the entire ticket?

If you're a resident or frequent visitor, and you know that you will be booking Air NZ travel again in the near future, it's probably not so bad to get a partial cash, partial credit-note refund. But if you're an infrequent visitor with no way of redeeming the credit note without incurring vast expense, then it's a disaster.

And as I said above - this is not the Air NZ that I know!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.