Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

787-9 first commercial flight AKL-SYD 9 Aug

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G

This is interesting. As per GDS, the first 789 pax flight is ANA on 4 Aug. UA is to follow on 20 Sep and NZ on 15 Oct. It does make the launch customer NZ look a bit stupid. ANA has even prepared a press release for the first 789 passenger flight.

NZ jumped the gun and quickly pointed out this morning on Twitter that the first commercial flight will be AKL-SYD on 9 Aug and that the NH flight will be a charter not a commercial flight. The AKL-SYD flight is still not loaded.

I am not sure how NZ managed to let NH steal their thunder. Was the first flight meant to be a surprise? Did they not think nowadays many people have access to GDS?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
I heard originally Air NZ wanted 2 aircraft before they launched, but that in itself seems illogical since they only need a single aircraft for the Perth run.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 8:11 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Well flightaware is showing NZ 787-9 to SYD this afternoon, must be for route proving though.
NZ6021
Old Jul 24, 2014, 9:04 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Well flightaware is showing NZ 787-9 to SYD this afternoon, must be for route proving though.
NZ6021
I did read somewhere yesterday, that it was heading to SYD on an training flight with crew only and would be back in AKL around Midnight.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 12:39 am

Programs: NZ*E, QF Gold
I sat in a little beech 1900 today at akl as the Dreamliner taxied nxt to us for take off,was a very impressive looking plane
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:07 am

Programs: AMEX PLT, AA PPro, Spire AMB
randomly saw the 787-9 avail in Nov on the NRT-AKL route...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, QFWP, IHG Plat, *wood Gold
Angry

Having booked the akl-per-akl flight on 15th oct for the purpose of taking the inaugural flight, this news is somewhat annoying.
Is there any firm confirmation that NZ103 on 9th August is the first flight? Not showing up on the booking engine yet...
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by djsteve
Having booked the akl-per-akl flight on 15th oct for the purpose of taking the inaugural flight, this news is somewhat annoying.
Is there any firm confirmation that NZ103 on 9th August is the first flight? Not showing up on the booking engine yet...
Yes, inaugural revenue flight will be on 9 Aug but they won't say which flight they will sub.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zeal...n=home-flipper

Not only that, the above report suggests NZ may start 789 AKL-PER services earlier.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
This is interesting. As per GDS, the first 789 pax flight is ANA on 4 Aug. UA is to follow on 20 Sep and NZ on 15 Oct. It does make the launch customer NZ look a bit stupid. ANA has even prepared a press release for the first 789 passenger flight.

NZ jumped the gun and quickly pointed out this morning on Twitter that the first commercial flight will be AKL-SYD on 9 Aug and that the NH flight will be a charter not a commercial flight. The AKL-SYD flight is still not loaded.

I am not sure how NZ managed to let NH steal their thunder. Was the first flight meant to be a surprise? Did they not think nowadays many people have access to GDS?
Presumably UA and NH have faster EIS for 789 than NZ because they already have 787s.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Yes, inaugural revenue flight will be on 9 Aug but they won't say which flight they will sub.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/air-new-zeal...n=home-flipper

Not only that, the above report suggests NZ may start 789 AKL-PER services earlier.
Grrrr, this just gets even more annoying the more I read! I may see what I can get out of Air NZ direct with an email or two...
I am keen to be on the first flight and would likely still keep my flight to PER as this keeps me Gold.
If I find anything concrete out (doubtful) I will let you all know...
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: QF Gold, NZ *G, TK Elite *G
Originally Posted by djsteve
Its been said by Air NZ all along that there will be proving flights on AKL-SYD-AKL prior to the AKL-PER starting on October 15. But these would be more 'luck of the draw' upgrades on the day with no guarantees to pax of being on a 787-9 flight.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 1:53 am

Originally Posted by pepsi1336
Its been said by Air NZ all along that there will be proving flights on AKL-SYD-AKL prior to the AKL-PER starting on October 15. But these would be more 'luck of the draw' upgrades on the day with no guarantees to pax of being on a 787-9 flight.
Yep, agreed. I was aware that the training flights would be taking place. I am just keen to take a trip on it and want to know for sure which flight to choose.
Also surprised / saddened that other airlines will beat NZ to the first flight.
But I suppose it is only an aeroplane!
Old Jul 28, 2014, 12:04 am

Looks like the aircraft is now at Ohakea Airbase. Does anyone know why?

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/ZKNZE
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:10 am

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
Ohakea Airbase is a potential diversion airfield if Auckland and Christchurch are closed, so I'm guessing it was testing something around this.

It has now left Ohakea Airbase and is heading to Auckland, however the flightpath is taking it towards Hobart.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:23 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
I was just invited aboard when it is in Chc on Thursday. grrrr, cannot change my schedule though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.