Search

AKL-SFO-PHL - Need help!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
AKL-SFO-PHL - Need help!

Hi All,

I'm leaving later this week to the States, and have purchased a through fare from Air NZ, which is as follows:
  • Auckland - San Francisco - Air NZ 77W
  • 3 hour 55 minutes connection time in SFO
  • San Francisco - Philadelphia - United Airlines

Now both flights are on the same PNR issued by Air NZ.

Am I able to check my luggage all the way through to Philadelphia (my destination)?

Or do I have to collect my luggage off the international arrivals carousel in San Fran, then exit security, head to the domestic terminal, then check-in for my United flight?

I remember a while back I had to do the latter in LAX, but this was a few years ago, and haven't needed to fly to the States for business for a while now.

Would appreciate FT's well flown members clearing up my confusion!

Cheers,
Cuzzy
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:02 am

Programs: NZ*E, UA*1K, QF Plat
Yes.
You have to collect your bags to clear USA Customs.
Your bag should be tagged for PHL and I have dropped my bag not far from clearing customs for connecting flights in the past.
From memory, yes, you will go back through security. But with so much time you have no stress in front of you.
Safe travels.
Old Jul 21, 2014, 2:26 am

Programs: NZ *E, QF Gold, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, PanPacific Platinum
When you clear quarantine, take the LEFT exit (it is marked for connecting flights). Domestic Bag drop is just located there. You will have to go through security and a walk.

I landed at SFO yesterday and stupidly thought I was in LAX and took the RIGHT exit airside. Then had to negotiate my way to Terminal 3, bag drop etc. doh
Old Jul 21, 2014, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by cuzzybro
Am I able to check my luggage all the way through to Philadelphia (my destination)?

Or do I have to collect my luggage off the international arrivals carousel in San Fran, then exit security, head to the domestic terminal, then check-in for my United flight?
As post #2 suggests, it's neither of those options, exactly.

Having your luggage in your possession at U.S. Customs at your first port of entry is the way we do it. At SFO you will do immigration formalities, collect your bags, do Customs clearance, and drop your bags at a re-check station. Truly, just drop and walk. If your bag is properly tagged at origin there is no need to drag your bag over to United.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Amb., A3 *G, QF Plat
Guys, I'm in SFO, followed all your advice.

One question, I accidentally tore my SFO-PHL boarding pass that was issued to me in Auckland, so after dropping my luggage at the bag drop for connecting flights at SFO I walked over to the United desk and they reprinted my boarding pass.

However, when they did the lady said I had to say "no luggage" on their online check in system, even though I had dropped 3 bags off at the bag drop area.

She said it wouldnt be an issue, but I'm paranoid my luggage may not be loaded onto my flight!!!

Am I being irrational here?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:50 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by cuzzybro
Guys, I'm in SFO, followed all your advice.

One question, I accidentally tore my SFO-PHL boarding pass that was issued to me in Auckland, so after dropping my luggage at the bag drop for connecting flights at SFO I walked over to the United desk and they reprinted my boarding pass.

However, when they did the lady said I had to say "no luggage" on their online check in system, even though I had dropped 3 bags off at the bag drop area.

She said it wouldnt be an issue, but I'm paranoid my luggage may not be loaded onto my flight!!!

Am I being irrational here?

As long as your luggage has been properly tagged while in Auckland, it shouldn't matter.

I've had a similar experience last November when I did AKL-SFO-ORD. Did all of the above and bag-dropped at the domestic connection counters.

The reason why they did that (saying no luggage in their system for reprinting you a boarding pass) on their check-in is because United charges for even the 1st piece of luggage on an Economy ticket (assuming that's what you're travelling on).

Even if you hold *G status, only the 1st piece is free (if you are in Economy), 2nd and 3rd incur a baggage charge.

It doesn't apply to you in this case as your ticket's all issued under one PNR and by AirNZ, and baggage rules will be as per NZ (so if you are allowed 3 bags, or have already pre-paid while in NZ, then no more charges will apply at UA's end).

Out of curiosity, 3 bags? Which of the following do you fall under while on AKL-SFO leg:
- Business (3)
- Premium Economy (2) + *G/Koru (1)
- Economy (1) + *G/Koru (1) + Pre-paid 1 bag
- Economy (1) + Pre-paid 2 bags

There's a reason I asked.

When I did my trip, had 2 bags with me: Economy (1) + Koru (1).

I booked the domestic leg separately with United hence wasn't on the same PNR, and technically United would charge me for both bags (US$25+US$35).
However when I did the bag drop, they only charge me for the 2nd piece (couldn't fudge my way to get both pieces free, perhaps if I had *G status it might've worked).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.