Search

AKL to SIN - some advice

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2014, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Gold, Le Club Platinum
AKL to SIN - some advice

Hello,

Grateful for any advice or suggestions here.
Looking at travelling from Auckland to Singapore in the first week of September.
I'm NZ Elite, no status on other airlines.

I have AirPoints and RUs for upgrades, not enough to purchase a full fare unfortunately.

It looks like my primary option booked through Air NZ is:

AKL to BNE on Air NZ
BNE to SIN on Ethiad

Some questions:

Looks like no Status Points on Ethiad, even booked through Air NZ, is that right?

Can I book the whole trip in economy and use RUs and/or AirPoints to upgrade to business?
If not, how about booking from AKL to BNE and trying to upgrade that with BNE to SIN booked in business?
Seems like not via the website, but let me know if there are any tricks there?

Are there any other Star Alliance options I should be looking at, either from AKL or BNE or some other routing?
I checked out Singapore Airlines from AKL to SIN, and although it's non-stop the business class fares look at least double the price of the above routing.

Appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Last edited by Oceanic814; Jun 30, 2014 at 7:53 pm Reason: Clarified upgrade question
Old Jun 30, 2014, 8:17 pm

you earn no Status points on Ethiad

you can route through HKG/BKK/SYD/BNE/MEL/PER

air nz Complimentary upgrade are only valid on NZ service not on other airlines.

Australia is a lot of closer to SIN/Asia so the fare is cheaper, plus is a lot of more competitive there as well.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Oceanic814
Can I book the whole trip in economy and use RUs and/or AirPoints to upgrade to business?
If not, how about booking from AKL to BNE and trying to upgrade that with BNE to SIN booked in business?
Seems like not via the website, but let me know if there are any tricks there?
RUs can only be used on Air NZ ticketed AND operated services (as far as I know), this means on Air NZ metal/planes. So even a code-share is not enough.

If you want to take advantage of the possibility of using your RUs, I suggest flying to HKG, then taking a SIN flight from HKG.

That way, you can at least enjoy BP on a ~11 hour flight, as opposed to a somewhat meaningless AKL - BNE (or MEL or SYD) 3 hour flight in Business class.

Fares between HKG-SIN should be rather competitive.
Old Jun 30, 2014, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by zqsn5678
Australia is a lot of closer to SIN/Asia so the fare is cheaper, plus is a lot of more competitive there as well.
Not always, a QF fare WLG-BKK was around $NZ1200 Y and $3900 J not long ago, the fares ex-SYD in $A were the same or more expensive when compared to the $NZ costs.

For the OP, if your intent is to burn RU/$AP to try and gain a biz seat to SIN then you'll need NZ flight to PVG/HKG/DPS(?) and thence onwards as noted above.

You could use a OneSmart card to 'buy' more $AP and top up your account a biz award outright - TG often has good availability for instance. Might need to check fees though.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 6:05 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
When checking SQ fares, try the red-eye flight out of AKL, or ex-CHC. These are usually cheaper than the daytime flight out of AKL.
Old Jul 12, 2014, 8:58 pm

Another option would be the direct flight AKL to Denpasar, then a separate ticket on to SIN.
Being a 767 - only one RU to get to J each way.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: NZ - Elite, QF - Gold, Flying Blue - Petroleum Club, SIA - Solitaire PPS, EY- Gold Elite, EK- Gold
Originally Posted by Oceanic814
Hello,
Looks like no Status Points on Ethiad, even booked through Air NZ, is that right?
Nope, no status points and the airpoints earned are pretty damn measly too - that's when AirNZ get around to crediting them.

I now have an Etihad account and am just about Gold with them already.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:14 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by mattyroo
Nope, no status points and the airpoints earned are pretty damn measly too - that's when AirNZ get around to crediting them.
Not quite sure why anyone expects status points to be earned on a non-*A airline. Imagine allowing one to qualify as *A Gold with little (or even no) flying on *A airlines.
Old Jul 13, 2014, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by pbl22
Not quite sure why anyone expects status points to be earned on a non-*A airline. Imagine allowing one to qualify as *A Gold with little (or even no) flying on *A airlines.
you can earn status points when flying with CX operated NZ coded flights between AKL and HKG.
Old Jul 14, 2014, 3:50 am

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
OK, I keep forgetting about that anomaly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.