Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New no annual fee Airpoints Amex card

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2016, 11:40 pm

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
From what I read Amex seem to be good at chasing customers and negotiating so take advantage if it suits. I've decided Amex at this point in time is worthwhile keeping and I'm ok keeping a mastercard for places where Amex isn't accepted.

I think the westpac world card is good for the overseas earn but that's work related for me. What I accept work wise and personally are 2 different things.

Amex seem to be the only card you can "churn" in NZ. No one else is offering bonuses or points etc like other countries.
Thanks for that info. Cripes if you look at pointsguy website etc you actually see what a pathetic lot of offerings we have in NZ re credit card loyalty inducements.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:47 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Ellice
Thanks for that info. Cripes if you look at pointsguy website etc you actually see what a pathetic lot of offerings we have in NZ re credit card loyalty inducements.
Our offerings are even very poor compared to Australia. When you don't have smaller (large) players such as Citi in the marketplace it is quite cosy.

All the deals will eventually change here when interchange fees are cut and the banks slowly remove benefits.

It's very interesting to see how little has changed in Australia right now with earn rates despite the fact some are now giving more back than they'll be earning in interchange. I can't imagine that's going to last too long - banks aren't well known for losing money. In the UK the market moved pretty quickly when interchange rates were slashed earlier this year.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:21 am

Programs: Air New Zealand Elite
Originally Posted by sbiddle
Our offerings are even very poor compared to Australia. When you don't have smaller (large) players such as Citi in the marketplace it is quite cosy.

All the deals will eventually change here when interchange fees are cut and the banks slowly remove benefits.

It's very interesting to see how little has changed in Australia right now with earn rates despite the fact some are now giving more back than they'll be earning in interchange. I can't imagine that's going to last too long - banks aren't well known for losing money. In the UK the market moved pretty quickly when interchange rates were slashed earlier this year.
Excuse my ignorance, what are interchange fees?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
Originally Posted by Ellice
Must look into the World card and fees etc. Wonder what the exchange rates are like for Amex when you use overseas. I found the paypal rate is awful now. .69USD per NZD. Also the onesmart exchange rate is a rip off now.
The world and Amex plat have surprisingly the same/similar rate
Old Oct 21, 2016, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by NZbutterfly
No one else is offering bonuses or points etc like other countries.
Indeed. I'm somewhat surprised that we don't have a thread for churning in-fact. There are definitely promotions from time to time, such as ANZ a free domestic flight or APD$200 and often with no annual card free, so basically free money (assuming you can use the card responsibly).
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:29 am

Programs: NZ*Elite *G, QF*G, SPG*Platinum, Accor*Platinum, Hilton*Gold
AU market competition is definitely intense, I know people who sign up for all the providers th get the promotion points, spend on a J trip to LHR and then cancel. Fair game for them trying to beat the system
Old Oct 22, 2016, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by dadig
AU market competition is definitely intense, I know people who sign up for all the providers th get the promotion points, spend on a J trip to LHR and then cancel. Fair game for them trying to beat the system
There is an ANZ Australia card that gives a free domestic flight every year. Can't remember off the top of my head if it is return but seemed like a good deal. Shame we don't have it here, especially as banks are getting higher interchange margins here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.