Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

No miles on UA after OneUp: who to contact?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2014, 4:47 am
Original Poster

Last month I made a successful OneUp bid (Premium to Business, $400) for a SHA to AKL flight. The original booking class was O and the upgrade was in R. I have tried to claim the miles with UA but they have refused the claim, saying that flights in R do not earn miles.

I think that I should be able to claim the miles for the original booking class in O. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, I would be grateful for advice on how to go about making the claim. If UA check the booking class electronically is it too late for NZ to change the booking class in their system? Should I call NZ and ask them to contact UA to sort it out, or would it be better to deal directly with UA?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TG*G, NZ*GE, QF G, Accor Gold
Welcome to FT!

You wish to accrue the miles to UA, so they need to be convinced.
I'd only expect the original class of service to earn miles, and so you may have to provide UA the 'full story' of the NZ OneUp process, and copies of pre- and post- upgrade tickets complte with booking class. Perhaps it might help to also get NZ to provide (email?) a written statement in support of your situation.

Good luck!

Cheers, TK
Old Apr 21, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: NZ Elite (*G)
I had a similar situation where NZ did not at first recognize my UA flight because I had been upgraded. I provided NZ with documentation showing my original booking class and NZ then gave me credit for the flight.

I would also check on the United forum to see if anyone there knows what United's policy is in this matter.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by willhk22
Last month I made a successful OneUp bid (Premium to Business, $400) for a SHA to AKL flight. The original booking class was O and the upgrade was in R. I have tried to claim the miles with UA but they have refused the claim, saying that flights in R do not earn miles.

I think that I should be able to claim the miles for the original booking class in O. Does anyone know if this is correct? If so, I would be grateful for advice on how to go about making the claim. If UA check the booking class electronically is it too late for NZ to change the booking class in their system? Should I call NZ and ask them to contact UA to sort it out, or would it be better to deal directly with UA?
I've had no problem accruing upgraded NZ flights to UA.

Submit a retro-active claim through UA's missing miles form and put the original booking class in the form and it should be fine. If that doesn't work, then search the UA forum for the MileagePlus Service Center fax number and fax them the e-Ticket and the boarding pass and you should be sorted.

Or, if you have status (e.g. 1K), contact 1K Voice and they will definitely be able to sort it out.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Thai-Kiwi
Welcome to FT!

You wish to accrue the miles to UA, so they need to be convinced.
I'd only expect the original class of service to earn miles, and so you may have to provide UA the 'full story' of the NZ OneUp process, and copies of pre- and post- upgrade tickets complte with booking class. Perhaps it might help to also get NZ to provide (email?) a written statement in support of your situation.

Good luck!

Cheers, TK
Either that or a miscoding of the fare (i.e. on most other *A airlines including UA itself O is award F.)
Old Apr 21, 2014, 1:11 pm

Programs: NZ*G, QF NB, UA 1K, AA ExecPlat, IHG PlatAmb, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, ZE1 PC
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Either that or a miscoding of the fare (i.e. on most other *A airlines including UA itself O is award F.)
Possible, although UA themselves say that O is a Premium Economy and mileage earning fare class.

I can't remember if I've flown an O-class fare and credited it to UA, but certainly A/E/U all work.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
I have had no issue most of the time doing this and crediting to VA Velocity. Once it took nearly 4 months but eventually I was successful.

See this thread for other anecdotes:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-n...e-earn-ua.html
Old Apr 22, 2014, 1:33 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk willhk22

Originally Posted by ajnz
Submit a retro-active claim through UA's missing miles form and put the original booking class in the form and it should be fine. If that doesn't work, then search the UA forum for the MileagePlus Service Center fax number and fax them the e-Ticket and the boarding pass and you should be sorted.

Or, if you have status (e.g. 1K), contact 1K Voice and they will definitely be able to sort it out.
Good advice. If UA needs to, they can get confirmation of the original booking class from NZ - you only need to prompt them to do this.

There is no point in OP contacting Air NZ - they can't access the Mileage Plus account to give credit and there is a risk of error (crediting to Airpoints) if you have an Airpoints account also.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
Do you have a copy of the original NZ e-ticket receipt that indicates your ticket was issued/priced in O class? That's the key piece of evidence that UA needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.