Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New SP earn rates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:31 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Out of curiosity, where are you seeing all these new earning rates? Is this in your 'my bookings' screen, or are you seeing them when you go into the booking engine to book new flights?

Which brings me to my real question: how can you tell before booking what you are going to earn? Or do you just have to guess based on their 'range'?
Old Mar 27, 2014, 7:42 pm

Programs: QF LTG, VASG, NZ*S, OZD, IHG SpireAMB, HHD
Originally Posted by mad_atta
Out of curiosity, where are you seeing all these new earning rates? Is this in your 'my bookings' screen, or are you seeing them when you go into the booking engine to book new flights?

Which brings me to my real question: how can you tell before booking what you are going to earn? Or do you just have to guess based on their 'range'?
Yes, they are on the "my bookings" screen.

As to your real question - that is very much what I would like to know, but NZ has not told us yet, despite this regime starting next week. At the moment it is purely a guess.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
My next trip to HNL is showing earning 10 APD but the lookup table is showing 7 APD. They obviously have created a system that easily confuses themselves.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 8:30 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
[QUOTE=pbl22;22601561]
Originally Posted by poopbunny

I have noticed this before too. It's a bit sneaky to charge multiple seats all at the higher prices, rather than some (to the amount left available) at the lowest available price and the remainder at the higher price.

In my case, I have booked them separately and then rung up to get seats together.
This is not an NZ issue, it is common across many booking sites, so I do not know if is industry standard. When it comes to multi-passenger bookings I do look at the available fare buckets to see if I should make separate bookings.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by smandkjc
Regarding our yearly HNL flights why would I book at full Bus class fare 8 months out in future to get the same SP as I will get if I wait till the fares are on Special.
In our situation the new rules certainly mean they will earn less from us in future.
This is the fundamental problem when every booking category (discount economy, flexi economy, PE and BP) is broken further down into individual booking classes. Why should somebody who books a last minute BP ticket get a better earn rate than somebody who booked 3 months out? This doesn't encourage loyalty, especially when the end user has no way to book a specific class on the website.
Old Mar 27, 2014, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by pbl22
Yes, they are on the "my bookings" screen.

As to your real question - that is very much what I would like to know, but NZ has not told us yet, despite this regime starting next week. At the moment it is purely a guess.
Apparently it wasn't possible for Air NZ to have both old and new points in the system together.

They did launch the functionality to show SP earn while booking in early January, however this displayed incorrect information (the current "old" SP earn rate, even for flights after the 31st March) for an entire month before it was pulled. I queried these rates twice and was told there was no issue!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 6:49 am

Programs: Velocity Gold, AIRNZ Elite, Qantas Silver ,Hilton Diamond
is 7 SP a bug or correct for a TT grab a seat?

Originally Posted by pepsi1336
For me an AKL-LAX-AKL booking class S has gone from 160 to 112 SP, and a one way SYD-AKL is showing as 7 SP ?!?!
Must still be some bugs in the system!
Is the 7 SP correct for a TT flight .?
it shows as A$5 airpoints and 7SP on my screen too
Old Mar 28, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
This is a bit of a cynical move by Air NZ. FFP's are used to generate loyalty. Presumably that job has been done and NZ wants to toss aside a number of its loyal passengers because they are loyal but not delivering enough revenue.
If they have too many Elites, then this is their problem of having a monopoly operation (and making it more monopolistic with its airline alliances) and not ours.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:02 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
I have a AKL-MEL showing 7 SP, but my $20 GAS AKL-NPE fare I purchased the other day showing 8SP. Makes sense
Old Mar 28, 2014, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by CHCflyer
This is a bit of a cynical move by Air NZ. FFP's are used to generate loyalty. Presumably that job has been done and NZ wants to toss aside a number of its loyal passengers because they are loyal but not delivering enough revenue.
If they have too many Elites,
Makes you wonder why NZ bothers with Elite One.

The ones left over after the new SP rates (and the banked years run out for existing ones).
...would be the ONE.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by brenrox
I have a AKL-MEL showing 7 SP, but my $20 GAS AKL-NPE fare I purchased the other day showing 8SP. Makes sense
For AKL-MEL you have a choice of airlines, but for AKL-NPE you don't.

Yeah it makes real sense to have the route with higher fare paid and competition earn less than the route with lower fare paid and no competition
Old Mar 28, 2014, 8:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by poopbunny
Makes you wonder why NZ bothers with Elite One.

The ones left over after the new SP rates (and the banked years run out for existing ones).
...would be the ONE.
When there is only one, he or she will be elite in every sense
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
For AKL-MEL you have a choice of airlines, but for AKL-NPE you don't.

Yeah it makes real sense to have the route with higher fare paid and competition earn less than the route with lower fare paid and no competition
I think you may have missed my sarcasm, even with the rolleyes emoticon
Old Mar 28, 2014, 9:14 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I think you may have missed my sarcasm, even with the rolleyes emoticon
No - I copied your sarcasm. Only NZ could believe it makes sense.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 12:22 am

Airpoints Roulette

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
My next trip to HNL is showing earning 10 APD but the lookup table is showing 7 APD. They obviously have created a system that easily confuses themselves.
I've also got an AKL/HNL flight; a Smart Saver fare in S class with The Works product.

The My Bookings page also shows the "Potential earnings" as APD10; but the advanced search on airnzpoints.co.nz (with both the product and booking class specified) shows the "Potential Airpoints Dollars" earnings as APD14. It gets much better though, dropping the [optional] booking class from the advanced search and just leaving the product selected shows the "Potential Airpoints Dollars" as being in the range APD17-23, which is different again!

Continuing the confusion, the My Bookings page says my "Potential earnings" are 38SP (a woeful 37% down on the old 60SP) and this actually agrees with the advanced search on airnzpoints.co.nz when both the product and class are entered. A simple search without the product or class shows the range to be 44-60SP though! To be fair (?) the information pop-up on the matching line says it "Includes the following booking classes: L,T,V,W" (so doesn't explicitly list S class) but it also gives the same text about 'including' L/T/V/W classes when both parameters are entered in the advanced search and I get the lower 38SP result!

Originally Posted by pepsi1336
For me an AKL-LAX-AKL booking class S has gone from 160 to 112 SP, and a one way SYD-AKL is showing as 7 SP ?!?!
Must still be some bugs in the system!
Originally Posted by Beano
Is the 7 SP correct for a TT flight .?
it shows as A$5 airpoints and 7SP on my screen too
I've also got three TT Smart Saver Seat flights that are all showing 7SP in My Bookings, when airnzpoints.co.nz says they should be 18-28SP. Surely the 7SP is wrong being less than a domestic flight; but yeah, I guess it's "Welcome to Airpoints Roulette!"

Yikes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.