Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Using airpoints to purchase tickets on star alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using airpoints to purchase tickets on star alliance

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:21 pm

Programs: QF LTG, SQ EGTP, Bonvoy LTG
Originally Posted by libertyuk
On a side point, I have found Europe-Asia in both business and first class to be the easiest to get *A redemptions, and pretty good value too.

I flew FRA-NRT in LH 1st last year and that was easily the best use I found for 1515 APD.
Seems there is plenty of availability to much of Asia. Almost guaranteed availability to/from BKK in J, if not in F, on TG (we spent 1515 APD to do day flight on refitted TG F from BKK-LHR. Great way of getting to LHR). Seems there are plenty of seats to PEK as well, and even to places like NRT, KUL etc. The one exception I found was non-stops to/from SIN, usually I find I need to stump extra airpoints or by a cheap fare on an LCC to get to BKK first. I recently looked at the next six months, and found only a handful of seats from SIN to Europe in J (none in F), but Europe to SIN was more plentiful, although restricted mainly to midweek departures on LX or LH.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 9:19 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Beware of suspicious blocking of Star reward seats. Recently I attempted to book 2 Business seats from Europe to Asia. Out of the 8 flights on different routes I checked, only 2 were available for Airpoints redemption. I made sure all these seats were available using UA, NH, AV search engines before I called. They offered no explanation other than they had no control over what they received from Star. So much for being a proud member of Star Alliance.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Beware of suspicious blocking of Star reward seats. Recently I attempted to book 2 Business seats from Europe to Asia. Out of the 8 flights on different routes I checked, only 2 were available for Airpoints redemption. I made sure all these seats were available using UA, NH, AV search engines before I called. They offered no explanation other than they had no control over what they received from Star. So much for being a proud member of Star Alliance.
Perhaps other airlines are reciprocating NZ's stingy availability of award seats, especially premium ones.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.