Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New seats for Boeing 777 -200.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:15 am

Programs: Air NZ Elite *G, Honors Gold, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
That was confirmed at the last NZ investor presentation with the deferred retirement of 2 767.
I obviously missed reading that.

Any word on what they're planning on using them for? It would seem logical to just keep them running on holiday routes to HNL and DPS routes where the only people flying at the front of the plane are those using upgrades.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Originally Posted by sbiddle

Any word on what they're planning on using them for? It would seem logical to just keep them running on holiday routes to HNL and DPS routes where the only people flying at the front of the plane are those using upgrades.
Probably just Sydney to annoy me :P
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:25 am

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by Miles Down Under
Even QF have managed to get rid of these planes - and even that was long overdue.

The overhead bins haven't been refit on the NZ ones so their capacity is frustrating...
And NZ have got rid of the 744, yet Qantas still operates the 744.

Qantas 763 we're all very early 90s, compared to NZ. Currently NZ has NCG 1993, NCI 1994, NCJ 1995, NCK 1997, NCL 1997. Which isn't that old if you go by American standards, up until this year US Airways still had 762s in service.

If they are well looked after, and get more upgrades they are still worth another couple of years of service.

NZ's 767s all had upgrades that Qantas didn't do, e.g. the winglets, and other fuel saving methods.

The bins aren't that bad, it's still better than on an full 320
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
But they're probably using upgrades because they can't bring themselves to pay for the product when you can see on air nz website what you SHOULD be getting?

Have you heard any rumours if they will refit these? If not then sydney sounds the perfect spot

I was hoping since they put the dreamliner on medium haul to Perth they might also replace hnl and dps with the 789? Dreams are free....
Old Mar 29, 2015, 1:52 am

HNL and DPS both become slightly problematic - there is a big difference in capacity between the 763 and the 789 which would mean a lot of extra seats. With both being tourist markets and using the seats to suit product it simply makes sense to keep the 763 on both.

When the $ finally does tank again against the $US (and we all know that's ultimately a case of it, not when) the HNL market will crash again. Air NZ have only been focussed on it as a destination to ensure Hawaiian didn't gain traction.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:13 am

Programs: NZ Elite, QF Platinum (LTS), VA Platinum
HNL and DPS both become slightly problematic - there is a big difference in capacity between the 763 and the 789 which would mean a lot of extra seats. With both being tourist markets and using the seats to suit product it simply makes sense to keep the 763 on both.

When the $ finally does tank again against the $US (and we all know that's ultimately a case of it, not when) the HNL market will crash again. Air NZ have only been focussed on it as a destination to ensure Hawaiian didn't gain traction.
Yeah. I know... The bottom line is the money
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:02 am

777 200 new layout?

how do i make sure im getting new layout 777 200s if im booking to SFO or LAX in june? do they fly on certain days or is it pot luck?
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:18 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
The equipment is 777 rather than 772.

When booking online, I believe it shows as "777-200 Refit"
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by SimonHantler
how do i make sure im getting new layout 777 200s if im booking to SFO or LAX in june? do they fly on certain days or is it pot luck?
It's still pretty much pot luck outside of SIN which is dedicated re-fits.

Best to book an 777-300ER flight, which are genrally SFO NZ7/8 and LAX NZ1/2/5/6.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 4:25 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)

No firm announcment yet but I think there will be something soon.
Also there is a strong rumour that they will be changing the configuration of the A320i soon, no not an AFD joke.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: NZ Elite (*G), QF S (OWR), UA 0.14MM
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
No firm announcment yet but I think there will be something soon.
Also there is a strong rumour that they will be changing the configuration of the A320i soon, no not an AFD joke.
Considering that they have A320neo/A321neo on order due from 2017 onwards till 2019, and replacing the current A320ceo, not sure how big of a change the current fleet will get if a re-config will only prove useful for 2-3 more years.

Then again, now that even VA offers Business class on all the Trans-Tasman flights, perhaps NZ feel they need to realign their product offerings and provide a smoother product transition to new A32x neo with new layout/product.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by cavemanzk
And NZ have got rid of the 744, yet Qantas still operates the 744.
Yet Qantas have invested in the cabins of their 744 aircraft to be pleasant.
NZ's 767s all had upgrades that Qantas didn't do, e.g. the winglets, and other fuel saving methods.
This doesn't change the fact that the cabins on NZ's 767s are horrendous. I don't care about fuel saving. I do care that NZ are passing off a premium economy seat as business class.
The bins aren't that bad, it's still better than on an full 320
I disagree with this.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by everywhere
This doesn't change the fact that the cabins on NZ's 767s are horrendous.
Well in economy they are arguably the finest long haul aircraft in the fleet (but having been screwed by NZ twice before with swaps from 777 aircraft when flying biz I agree with you at the front of the cabin).
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Jetstreamer
Well in economy they are arguably the finest long haul aircraft in the fleet (but having been screwed by NZ twice before with swaps from 777 aircraft when flying biz I agree with you at the front of the cabin).
This is something I don't think anybody could disagree with! If you have to fly economy on Air NZ, the 767 is the best plane in the fleet to be stuck in for 8+ hours.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 3:41 am

Programs: NZ/QF/BA
Originally Posted by Kamadan
Considering that they have A320neo/A321neo on order due from 2017 onwards till 2019, and replacing the current A320ceo, not sure how big of a change the current fleet will get if a re-config will only prove useful for 2-3 more years.
I thought the 320 weren't that old and wouldn't need replacing so soon.

I have a theory that the new neo planes are not actually replacing the existing fleet. Virgin has transferred their ex-Pacific Blue plans into the Virgin mainline fleet (with VH rego rather than ZK). I wonder if VA/NZ are planning for VA to exit the TT/Pacific market and for NZ to take over the ex-VA TT/Pacific flights. The changes to the VA operations seem to suggest they have no long term plans to continue operating in the NZ/Pacific market.

Of course there are regulatory issues that would likely prevent this from happening but it does seem like a logical business decision to make...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.