Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand announces Singapore Airlines alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand announces Singapore Airlines alliance

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2014, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Top of climb
Schedules have updated and my Dec SQ286 has changed to a 388.

It will not be pretty if SQ is delayed slightly - right now the schedules have SQ286 departing about 40 mins before the first EK flight is due in. All you need is for SQ285 to have an hour or so delayed arrival and the three EKs to run a little early and then you have four A380s trying to squeeze into three A380 gates. I almost want it to happen so I can have the fun of seeing AKL trying to deplane an A380 by stairs...
Can't the 380's go to any gate? I have seen EK A380's parked at many different gates.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by WellingtonFlyer
Can't the 380's go to any gate? I have seen EK A380's parked at many different gates.
10, 15 and 16 are the only contact gates that can handle an A380.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
SQ 772 on CHC flights now has the better seats.
By the better seats, presumably you mean the leather trimmed angled-flat seats, like VA and FJ's A330s? While I've never tried them, I would imagine they are still substantially inferior to NZ's BP seats, especially the updated version, or would you disagree?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by mad_atta
By the better seats, presumably you mean the leather trimmed angled-flat seats, like VA and FJ's A330s? While I've never tried them, I would imagine they are still substantially inferior to NZ's BP seats, especially the updated version, or would you disagree?
I think the CHC 772s have the flip down flat J seats which are the same as in the 77W/388 (the long haul version not the regional ones)
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:01 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ TPPS, EK Gold, IHG RA, Marriott Gold Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, UA Premier Gold, TG Silver
Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Interesting. I believe that would make AKL 4x 380s daily wouldn't it? (3x EK 1x SQ)
Yes
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:43 am

Programs: NZ Elite, IHG Diamond Ambassador
10, 15 and 16 are the only contact gates that can handle an A380.
Curious. Is that due to the gates not physically being able to handle a 380 or more to do with the safety and efficiency of egressing 4-500 pax through a single door?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 1:19 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
I think the CHC 772s have the flip down flat J seats which are the same as in the 77W/388 (the long haul version not the regional ones)
Interesting. I didn't realise any of the 772s had that product installed. SQ does seem to have a bewildering array of different business class seats, and it's hard to figure out where they draw the line between medium haul and long haul.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by mad_atta
Interesting. I didn't realise any of the 772s had that product installed. SQ does seem to have a bewildering array of different business class seats, and it's hard to figure out where they draw the line between medium haul and long haul.
That line is also very flexible for SQ.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by LyingFlat
Curious. Is that due to the gates not physically being able to handle a 380 or more to do with the safety and efficiency of egressing 4-500 pax through a single door?
The former. Only gates 10, 15 and 16 are notified to have the necessary clearance and taxi restrictions to handle Code F aircraft like the A380. From memory the remote stands which can handle them are 17, 18, 19, 79 and 83.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 3:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Yes this is it.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:28 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE, Qantas Platinum, Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I have flown many times from CHC in J and the flip down seats are extremely comfortable both in the upright and lie flat position. Some 772s were reconfigured into 1-2-1 arrangements earlier this year. And you get to look out of the window without cricking your neck. I always enjoy the view of the Southern Alps and the Outback.
The regional biz seat features in the A330 on some Australian routes and is far less roomy and comfortable.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:34 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by CHCflyer
I have flown many times from CHC in J and the flip down seats are extremely comfortable both in the upright and lie flat position. Some 772s were reconfigured into 1-2-1 arrangements earlier this year. And you get to look out of the window without cricking your neck. I always enjoy the view of the Southern Alps and the Outback.
The regional biz seat features in the A330 on some Australian routes and is far less roomy and comfortable.
I think the first reconfigured SQ 772s were last year, but CHC wasn't one of the first routes to get them. Possibly the reason they weren't put on SQ 281/282 as well is the pending NZ alliance.

Love the view of the Southern Alps (on a clear day). It is a great scenic reminder almost home.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:27 pm

Has there been any indication of when the NZ flights will be available to book?
Old Aug 17, 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by mFlyerNZ
Has there been any indication of when the NZ flights will be available to book?
I would like to know the answer to this too, I am going to burn some of my APD by going to Singapore and Hong Kong at the end of October. I would prefer to fly to SIN but the specials on flights to HKG have just appeared today. Wondering whether I should wait for any announcements on NZ flights to Singapore or book flights to HKG before sale ends 1 Sep.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by doogiehowser
I would like to know the answer to this too, I am going to burn some of my APD by going to Singapore and Hong Kong at the end of October. I would prefer to fly to SIN but the specials on flights to HKG have just appeared today. Wondering whether I should wait for any announcements on NZ flights to Singapore or book flights to HKG before sale ends 1 Sep.
The early indication from NZ was flying by December, so I would be surprised if there are flights with them up to SIN before then.

We're looking to fly December / January, so hopeful to book with NZ too (and make use of some APDs...).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.