Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Air New Zealand announces Singapore Airlines alliance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air New Zealand announces Singapore Airlines alliance

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:08 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Why not? NZ/SQ is for SE Asia, India and Europe pax. NZ/CX is for China, N Asia and HKG pax.
NZ/EY is the one ost likely to cease, if it ever was useful.
A big benefit is that NZ airpoints members will get Status Points flying on the new arrangement which you would not get with the other alliances as they are nto part of *A.
I also think CX alliance is at risk. The Europe connection plays a significant part with CX and the announced details of the SQ arrangement are better for most passengers heading to/from Europe.

The SQ alliance includes MI. Has there been confirmation of earning status points on their flights? That would be surprising, but not impossible if there is a revenue/profit share arrangement beyond a simple codeshare.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 3:33 pm

Programs: NZ Gold, BA Gold, QF Silver, IHG Platinum Elite Ambassador, Accor Diamond
Originally Posted by Blackcloud
A big benefit is that NZ airpoints members will get Status Points flying on the new arrangement which you would not get with the other alliances as they are nto part of *A.
and flying NZ/SQ enables *Gold privileges which you don't get on CX.

Having said that, the CX arrangement is about China, HKG and N.Asia, partly because *A rules seemed to prohibit NZ giving CX a codeshare beyond HKG to Europe (I suspect because there are *A carriers that can offer routings albeit indirectly - whereas AKL-HKG is entirely a matter for NZ/CX).

It DOES reduce competition, but this is about NZ (and SQ) responding to EK, but also CZ. It also is about NZ enabling more of the LAX-LHR capacity being available for point to point traffic rather than lower yield AKL-LHR traffic (which was part of the reason for HKG-LHR originally).
Old Jan 16, 2014, 4:42 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by libertyuk
and flying NZ/SQ enables *Gold privileges which you don't get on CX.

Having said that, the CX arrangement is about China, HKG and N.Asia, partly because *A rules seemed to prohibit NZ giving CX a codeshare beyond HKG to Europe (I suspect because there are *A carriers that can offer routings albeit indirectly - whereas AKL-HKG is entirely a matter for NZ/CX).
Not having a codeshare to Europe on CX is not a major issue as you can connect to a partner flight at any of NZ's long haul destinations. What I don't get is if it's about China the CX alliance does not provide a codeshare or any FFP benefits either, apart from the access to CX lounges at PVG/PEK.

I am not sure that was due to *A as Air China codeshare with CX on many more routes and there is full FFP reciprocity.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:44 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
Editorial: Singapore deal shows Air NZ serious about growth

The airline industry is nothing if not ever-changing. Just eight years ago, Air New Zealand was pulling out of Singapore, and the island state's government was urging Singapore Airlines to pursue links with Qantas. According to Air NZ's then chief executive, Rob Fyfe, Singapore was a very small market and most of the airline's passengers would be equally well-served by travelling through Hong Kong.

Now, however, Singapore has become very much the focus as Air NZ bolsters its position on routes in the booming Asia-Pacific region.

The vehicle for this expansion is an alliance with Singapore Airlines, which, through codesharing and sales co-ordination, gives Air NZ access to the Singapore carrier's huge Southeast Asian network - including its SilkAir subsidiary - and beyond to India, Africa, Britain and Europe.

Additionally, Air NZ will resume flying its own aircraft between Auckland and Singapore, taking more than half of the flights operated by Singapore Airlines, and share revenue with the Singaporean carrier from all flights on the route.

The closer tie-up represents not only a return to Southeast Asia after a period of focus further north but confirmation that Air NZ is intent on growth. It has been seeking new partnerships rather than operating alone as a small carrier, albeit one that will be strengthened by the delivery of the first of 10 new Boeing Dreamliners in mid-year. Singapore Airlines had become a logical candidate.

If Air NZ had struggled to fill its aircraft while last flying to and from Singapore, its departure from there had created an obvious gap in its network. More than that, the new agreement with one of the strongest airlines in the region offers considerable potential for both the airline and this country's tourism industry. Tourists from relatively untapped sources such as Indonesia and India will, thanks to greater flight frequency and enhanced travel options, now have a far smoother passage to this country.

Singapore Airlines, likewise, has been seeking partners, but has struggled to reach agreements with airlines in China and Taiwan. According to the partners, the deal could boost their existing capacity between New Zealand and Singapore by up to 30 per cent.

There is also the possibility of closer ties with Virgin Australia, in which Air NZ and Singapore Airlines are among the major shareholders.

Further down the road, it is conceivable that their burgeoning relationship could lead to a joint bid to privatise the Australian carrier. As it is, the new agreement increases pressure on Qantas, whose woes are currently the subject of a strategic review that could culminate in some form of Australian Government financial aid. It has paid a heavy price for paying substantial attention to its role as Australia's national flag carrier.

Air NZ, to its advantage, attaches a lower priority to flying the flag. Being much smaller, it has also been more fleet of foot. It quickly, for example, closed down operations in Beijing and made Shanghai the centre of its operations in China. It has also been able to concentrate on the Pacific Rim, a fortuitous situation because that is the world's fastest-growing travel market.

The extended network effectively realised by the agreement with Singapore Airlines provides a comprehensive means of tapping that growth.

Many New Zealand travellers will relish the return to Singapore. Changi is one of the world's leading airports. There is also the possibility that increased capacity will result in cheaper fares, as well as greater choice. That will become clearer when the airlines seek the approval of competition authorities in New Zealand and Singapore.

For the moment, however, the national carrier's adeptness and ambition warrants praise.
NZ Herald
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:16 pm

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
What I'm not so clear on is how much there is for SQ in this current arrangement. I realise that SQ and NZ are cosying up a bit with their investments in Virgin Australia, and that the SQ code will appear on NZ domestic flights, plus presumably various Tasman ones which would be a logical tie in for SQ's existing Australia routes.

However, the potential opportunity for SQ still seems relatively minor by comparison - though I'm interested by the sentence from the press release that "Singapore Airlines’ customers would be able to access codeshare travel across the Air New Zealand domestic network and to selected international destinations" (emphasis is mine). I could see real value for SQ if NZ was seriously looking at some South American routes once they have more 787s online, and SQ could place their code on those...
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:10 pm

Programs: NZ*S plus various hotel programs
What could be in it for SQ is in the details of the revenue sharing arrangement plus where else they can redeploy the aircraft which will be made available by NZ making half the flights.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 8:00 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
Oh yes, quite the difference. But there is a shower. Once I get my shower I usually ditch the "special" lounge for Y class *G and enjoy SIN's fab airport.

Originally Posted by WLG Base
Yes.

There is plenty of discussion on the SQ Forum about this.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 9:00 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Marriott Plat., UA, NZ
Originally Posted by mad_atta
... I could see real value for SQ if NZ was seriously looking at some South American routes once they have more 787s online, and SQ could place their code on those...
I'm curious what NZ aircraft would be best suited for something like AKL-EZE/SCL, etc.? With the 744s on the way out, are the 789s ETOPS-certified for such a distance over water? I would imagine that the 77W (which I think are capable wouldn't be used on that kind of route).
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:01 pm

Programs: NZ Silver
Originally Posted by BbTrumpet
I'm curious what NZ aircraft would be best suited for something like AKL-EZE/SCL, etc.? With the 744s on the way out, are the 789s ETOPS-certified for such a distance over water? I would imagine that the 77W (which I think are capable wouldn't be used on that kind of route).
I was talking to an NZ engineer a few weeks ago and he said that NZ was planning to take them to South America (Santiago & Rio I think he said). He also mentioned flying direct to Chicago....can't remember if he also said India
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:13 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by BbTrumpet
NZ will be required to show 2 years (I think) of sound operation of the 787-9 (Rolls Royce) before they can extend it out to 330 minutes of which 12 months could be at 240 minutes.
So I do not foresee South America in the near future.
Could the 777-200ER make it AKL-SCL with ETOPS 240 as NZ only has ETOPS 330 for their 777-300ER fleet.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by WLG Base
Additionally, Air NZ will resume flying its own aircraft between Auckland and Singapore, taking more than half of the flights operated by Singapore Airlines, and share revenue with the Singaporean carrier from all flights on the route.
Someone can't count. (Not you WLG Base! Dig at the Herald)

Also the editorial seems a little bit sycophantic. NZ certainly is being very adept at identifying markets where it can build off other airlines' networks (CX, and now SQ) but other than that, I don't see what's so brave or particularly clever about identifying a route pair between AKL and a city in Asia which is on the way to the rest of the world and is well served by a current airline but has thin margins because of New Zealand's natural end-of-line disadvantage and then initiating talks with the airline to revenue (and therefore cost) share on it.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:05 am

Programs: NZ, QF
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
I also think CX alliance is at risk.
not necessarily in my view. i think NZ appreciates that its end-of-market position does not give enough support to a reasonably extensive network, even if we are talking about a growing market like Asia. alliance and code-sharing are a fair way to open revenue streams while maintaing their network.

also, the NZ/CX alliance benefits CX as strong as it does to NZ. the overnight NZ's flight to HK gives CX much better connections to plenty of Asian destinations now, which their year-round CX198 cannot offer.
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I still remember the wonder NZ/SQ joint fare they had ex-AKL to HKG way back in 1998. It was something like NZ$1900 for J return ! I flew AKL-SYD (NZ) SYD-SIN-HKG (SQ)-AKL (NZ).
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:13 am

I Googled NZ4285 and NZ4286 for old time's sake. Looks like they've re-purposed the flight number for Manchester/Abu Dhabi flights
Old Mar 19, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: NZ*G, TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels AdvantagePlus Platinum
Yes, I know its not related to NZ/SQ directly, but interesting to see JQ is pulling out of this route from July (via. Stuff):

Jetstar is pulling out of its Auckland to Singapore route from July, citing falling passenger numbers.

The low-cost carrier began flying daily to the city-state in March 2011, but reduced frequency to three times a week to match demand.

Jetstar spokesman Phil Boeyen said demand had fallen again and the airline would now only offer flights to Singapore via Australia.

"Jetstar is always keen to bring competition to monopoly routes and for the past three years has provided a low fares choice on the Singapore-Auckland route," he said.

"Unfortunately the route has not performed as we would have liked and we have decided that the capacity could be put to better use on other routes."

New Zealand passengers who have booked seats with Jetstar after July 21 are being offered a full refund, the opportunity to bring their travel plans forward or to fly later in the year via Australia.

Singapore is used as Jetstar's Asia hub and offers connections to Southeast Asian destinations, like Phuket.

The news comes after Air New Zealand and Singapore Airlines recently announced a codeshare partnership on services between New Zealand and Singapore, that will boost capacity by up to 30 per cent.

The partnership has now been handed an effective monopoly on the route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.